Smoking Ban in Bars from Feb.11th

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 sabbath

sabbath
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

On Pattaya News and Bangkok Post today,any explanations by lads who are in Pattaya right now?

#2 roger buttmore

roger buttmore
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

I also hear rumours of Feb 11th, but Reuters reports the ban beginning on Feb 17th.

I'm not there myself at the moment, but being an ashtray-smelling smurker I am naturally interested.

Reuters - Thailand joins world with smoking ban in bars

#3 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

DELETED

#4 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

BANGKOK:-- Lighting up anywhere in airconditioned entertainment establishments and parts of outdoor public venues, including the Chatuchak Weekend Market, will be banned as of February 17.

"For the openair food courts or markets, smoking will be allowed only in designated corners," Dr Hatai Chitanondh, chairman of the Thailand Health Promotion Institute, said yesterday.

Offenders will be fined Bt2,000 for smokers and Bt20,000 for operators.

Puffing on cigarettes and the like is already prohibited in airconditioned restaurants but the Public Health Ministry's regulation to include airconditioned pubs, discos and bars will take effect 45 days after it is published in the Royal Gazette.

Hatai admitted that some owners of pubs and nighttime hangouts might resist, as they believe a smoking ban will hurt their trade.

"But our research has found that the businesses might suffer some impacts only in the beginning. After a while, pubs and entertainment places will not only get their old customers back but will also attract new nonsmoking patrons," he said.

The nosmoking rule will also be good for the health of customers and staff, he said, adding, "Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

--The Nation 2008-01-11
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#5 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

Seems the real date for the smoking band was the 11th. Some Pattaya bars are enforcing the ban and some aren't. A few places have been busted and warned. But at the moment it's hit or miss as to where there is smoking and where there is no smoking.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#6 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Yes the 11th february was the official start date to this new law. But i was this day and the next days in bangkok and in some bars you still can smoke inside and in other bars not.

Depends on the owner i think.

#7 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

Curious to know if any smokers have experienced the impact of the ban and how has it affected things.

In a gogo bar for example, do you have to clear your check-bin and step outside for a smoke, or do you pay per beer instead?

Is it no-smoking in the open beer bars in Nana Plaza and Pattaya?

Meum cerebrum nocet

#8 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

#9 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

My father and many of my friends being smokers PP I don't quite see it that way :lol:
Smoking bans were being enforced in many bars & every restaurant before I left Pattaya in late Feb. I reckon smokers are going to be ok in Cambodia for a good while though :lol: You venture into bars and discos of Phnom Penh and the aroma is of a strong narcotic nature with no one complaining or giving a shit :shock:

#10 daones

daones
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

So far only 1 bar i went to enforced this rule as of last week.. and even then thats when the BIB were closing bars early. I went to maybe 4 go go's around walking street i smoked in all of them.. the only one i had to go outside to smoke was stringfellows.
whos ya daddy?

#11 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

#12 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

I was just curious for an update; once the piffle was filtered out I got it.

Thanks pentire and daones.

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci