Slang - Aussie vs Brit vs Kiwi vs Yank

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#25 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Spyder, I saw the ad for CNN this morning.  It's not for the show "CNN - Go."  The ad shows various hot spots around the world, and then the ;logo "CNN go there" appears.  BTW, I'm not beating them over the head with this.  The feed that I watch is based in Asia, which is influenced more by the English than the Americans, except for The Philippines.  Most countries here speak "English-English", and drive on the left side of the road (on the right side here in the P.I.).  For that reason, the plural noun (versus the collective noun) is more prevalent.  Even if the show I'm watching on CNN is from Atlanta,  the ads and promos during the breaks emanate from Hong Kong. That's what prompted my original question; if CNN is considered to be plural because it's made up of various affiliates, how does one decide when that ends?  Should "Earth" be considered plural because it contains a lot of countries and people?  Based on DC's answer, it is not.

TL57, "like" drives me crazy.  I have heard people use it so many times in one sentence, that I sometimes think that they're joking.  Unfortunately, they are not.

Actually living the dream.

#26 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

TL57, "like" drives me crazy.  I have heard people use it so many times in one sentence, that I sometimes think that they're joking.  Unfortunately, they are not.

I agree.

It is one of two words I most dislike when used by what appears to be only (some) Americans are like and whatever. I don't recall hearing them used in quite the same way by any other Westerners.

Like seems to be so heavily over-used by some people and as Macman said can be used countless times in one sentence that it becomes irritatingly comedic and makes the speaker appear somewhat limited in their intelligence.

And that word to end all discussion or argument where a person's ability to continue is lacking or they're unable to respond with any decent reply as things aren't going their way is ... whatever.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#27 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Agree that like is over-used, but I was pointing out a new use with the wrong verb. Instead of 'he is like' or 'he was like,' now the use is with 'be.' 'He be like, get out of my face, or 'She be like a diva.'
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#28 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Agree that like is over-used, but I was pointing out a new use with the wrong verb. Instead of 'he is like' or 'he was like,' now the use is with 'be.' 'He be like, get out of my face, or 'She be like a diva.'

TL57, I think in the examples you used, the speaker is using "He'd be like" to mean, "He said" rather than "He is like."  Whatever.

Actually living the dream.

#29 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I usually associate that manner of speaking with African Americans, or young people who are into the Hip Hop scene.

#30 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:15 PM

Mac, reckon you're right. Spyder, that's right on the mark.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#31 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

Mac, reckon you're right. Spyder, that's right on the mark.

While this video might not resonate with you, it should give you some hope for the younger generation.

This group of young people collaborated to produce this video that lampoons atrocious grammar in YouTube comments. Damn funny, if you ask me.

• Surin Nix likes this

#32 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

They all bastardised a perfectly good language, what else can be said??

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#33 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

A nicely put together little ditty which includes a few we've mentioned already.

Apart from using a 'z' in familiarize, it's all good  :D

• jaybee111 and Spyder Rocket like this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#34 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

I was just talking about this video today!

Good old Weird Al, after all these years he still can crank out great parodies. :)

His parody of Happy is also a lot of fun.

#35 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

Cunninglinguist! I love it! :D

#36 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Any of you Brits ever copped a feel on a cougar with a nice rack.....while wearing high-tops?
  • jaybee111 and Spyder Rocket like this
Nix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci