Photo

Looking for advice: thinking of starting a ladyboy bar in KK maybe.

KhonKaen ladyboy bar opening bar advice

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 rocketrocket223

rocketrocket223
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hello all,

I am hoping to be moving to Thailand within the next couple years.  I am not able to retire and one of the ideas I had for income is to open the first ladyboy bar in KK.

KK appears to be growing in size,  popularity and prosperity and I just thought that it may be profitable to bring it it's first ladyboy bar.  I actually already have a perfect mamasan in mind as well.

I have time to formulate plans and would welcome any and all input and advice.  Especially from any of the current LB bar owners.

I look forward to hearing from you all my friends.

Thank you in advance.

#2 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Brave plan, rocket.

What sort of visa do you have? This could be important as you can get into big trouble if you plan to get behind the bar.

Is your cashier trustworthy?

Make sure you are the one dealing with the cash. Do not allow thai sole access to the bank account. At worst make sure the thai has to have your signature on any cheque. Make deposits yourself, don't ever entrust a thai with cash.

Watch the cash, watch the cash, watch the cash !

Watch the stock too. If you can get a decent inventory program me installed, so much the better.

Don't employ thai men - they are lazy and will steal from you.

Use common sense and always be suspicious. Don't trust anybody.

• rocketrocket223 likes this

#3 rocketrocket223

rocketrocket223
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thank you Jimbo,

Thank you for the advice.  I actually have experience as an accountant and plan on handling the money.  

The LB I have in mind as my mamasan is a friend(I still plan on vetting her further...lol) and she also has access to many of the LB in the area.

Thank you for the advice on who to hire.  I will certainly follow it.

Also, I am naturally paranoid, so, DTA("don't trust anyone") is kind of a credo of mine.

Thank you for the advice to get an inventory program.  will do.

I am still far from actually acting on the idea, but, it just seems that bringing KK it's first LB bar might actually be a profitable venture.  

What are your views on that in general?

#4 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

maybe it was smarter to make it a mixed bar... ;)  you could call it mixed nuts :mrgreen: that way the local ex-pats wont be afraid to be seen in the bar...just remember its a "small" community up there...and the girls might yak the expats wife that he went with an ladyboy :wacko:

the benefit of a mixed bar is that you will have the girls to Watch the ladyboys...and vice-versa...like Cecar said i think....split and rule 8)

expect a lot of quiet days...low prices on drinks...but ofcourse also low rent for the bar and be prepared to Loose your most pretty girls if they cant find costumers....then they might go for Patts or Phuket ;)

and most important...remember that moderators from this forum normally gets an 80% discount on Singhas :mrgreen:

• thailover57 and rocketrocket223 like this

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#5 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

To my shame, i've never been to KK, so can't comment on your clientele. But i would think you're aiming at the farang market. Kendo would be a good guy to pm about numbers of farang tourists and expats, i would think.

Its Low Season now in Thailand, and following the coup things can get pretty desperate. I'm lucky to have built up a strong, and loyal customer base over the years, who will help me get through. You're starting from scratch, without that advantage, so make sure you have excess funds on standby to see you through the first 2 years.

I think there's been some sort of catastrophe every year since i've been here, whether its red/yellow conflict, coups, plane crash, bangkok floods etc etc. Even when we're over the current difficulty, there's another one looming. One Who Cannot Be Named is not long for this world. This will be the biggest disruption Thailand has ever seen. I'm dreading it. So again, you will need plenty of reserves to see you through.

Take a good look around for premises. Obviously position is important. But the thai landlords know this and will extort the maximum rent from you, especially as a farang. In fact they'll see you coming and double everything. Play them off against each other until you can see it starts to make sense. Don't let your enthusiasm cloud your judgement. Don't be afraid to walk away. There's plenty of other touristy places in Thailand, like Krabi for example.

I wish you good luck, and will be very interested to hear progress reports. In fact I'm sure all of us on here would like to hear about it.

#6 rocketrocket223

rocketrocket223
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

I will certainly will offer a discount for the moderators.  May be a little more modest of one though.  lol

These actually already is a mixed bar in KK.  That is where I met my prospective mamasan.

KK seems to be on the uptick, but, is still Issan, so, I am also not sure of how an LB bar would be received.

But, it certainly does seem that KK may be ready for one.

Do you travel to KK often?

#7 rocketrocket223

rocketrocket223
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thanks again Jimbo

I am still a ways off from even starting things up.

I do have an ace in the hole as for dealing with the landlords and such....my wife is Thai and she and her family are from KK, so, if I can get my wife on board, that could help.

And, yes, I too dread what is inevitable with he is is not to be named.  May God keep him with us for as long as possible.  He is a great man.

#8 shyguyuk

shyguyuk
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSukhumvit, Bangkok

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hi Rocket

Well I will be very happy to take a trip with you on your return (work and plans providing) and support you in your efforts.

I think most of the more seasoned guys on here will (as some seems to have done already) provide some great insights. There are plenty of nightmare stories in many forums of the 'Farang bar owner' so research as much as you can and take the sage advice from above (not God but Jimbo...).

You have time and is good to get plans well worked out.

Until we speak next...

Let us know how you get on.

SG

#9 rocketrocket223

rocketrocket223
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

Thank you my friend.  I know that I will always be able to count on you my friend.  And you, me.

At the moment, this is only an idea. 

I am very thankful for all the advice that everyone has given and will always welcome any and all advice.  Jimbo is 100% correct and, luckily, I am paranoid enough to follow that sage advice as well.  lol

I will also be doing some research as well as some "vetting" when I am back in KK

I will also be spending a lot more time with my prosepective mamasan and have her introduce me to prospective ladyboys for the bar.

But, currently, this is only in the idea stage. 

And, should it ever become a reality, I would always treasure the friendship, comradery and patronage of our ladyboy forum brotherhood .

I will never be able to thank you and everyone else here enough for helping me find my way, helping me feel like I belong and for all the insightful and helpful advice to come.

Talk with you soon my friend. 

And my return to the paradise of Thailand will now be in less than eight months.

Now, I have been awake for about 67 of the last 72 hours and I am going to get a little sleep.

#10 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hello all,

I am hoping to be moving to Thailand within the next couple years.  I am not able to retire and one of the ideas I had for income is to open the first ladyboy bar in KK.
     KK appears to be growing in size,  popularity and prosperity and I just thought that it may be profitable to bring it it's first ladyboy bar.  I actually already have a perfect mamasan in mind as well.
     I have time to formulate plans and would welcome any and all input and advice.  Especially from any of the current LB bar owners.
     I look forward to hearing from you all my friends.
Thank you in advance.

#11 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thank you Jimbo,

Thank you for the advice.  I actually have experience as an accountant and plan on handling the money.  
The LB I have in mind as my mamasan is a friend(I still plan on vetting her further...lol) and she also has access to many of the LB in the area.
     Thank you for the advice on who to hire.  I will certainly follow it.
Also, I am naturally paranoid, so, DTA("don't trust anyone") is kind of a credo of mine.
     Thank you for the advice to get an inventory program.  will do.

I am still far from actually acting on the idea, but, it just seems that bringing KK it's first LB bar might actually be a profitable venture.  

What are your views on that in general?

Too bad it was at best common sense and at worst useless.

#12 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

KK would be a complete non starter for a dedicated lb bar.   There is no passing trade to speak of and no business travellers.   so you are totally dependant on the local folk, be they Thai or foreign.    Not a chance of making it work, sorry to say.  

Possibly could work as a mixed bar but even those are marginal at best.    As other have said, the best lookers will go and work elsewhere such as BKK, Pattaya and Phuket.

• KendoUK and rocketrocket223 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KhonKaen, ladyboy bar, opening bar, advice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci