Killer Ladyboy Charles Pangham Books Fiction

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#13 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, Charles.  I'm going to hold off reading the one I just purchased until I can get the first one.  I'm looking forward to it.

Actually living the dream.

#14 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Got it!!!  (Jeez, that was easy.)

#15 cpang

cpang
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Great Macman, if you get a chance I'd be grateful if you could post a review on Amazon when you've finished them.

#16 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

Okay, Charles.  As I said, I have to finish the book I'm reading now, but that shouldn't be too long.

#17 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

The title alone perpetuates ugly stereotypes about ladyboys and for this reason alone I would never purchase this book.

#18 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

The title alone perpetuates ugly stereotypes about ladyboys and for this reason alone I would never purchase this book.

What a strange comment. So you are not considering to read a book solely based on its title? That is taking the idiom 'never judge a book by it's cover' to 'literally' a whole new level.

I've heard a of a few ladyboys having killer legs, but the stereotype of ladyboys being actual killers is a new one to me.

• jaybee111, khaosphere and Spyder Rocket like this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#19 cpang

cpang
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Re- Jonnieb's comment. 

It was never my intention to disrespect or defame Ladyboys when it came to writing the books. I wanted to put a spin on the serial killer genre and set the first book in Bangkok. The lead character is meant to be an anti-hero of sorts and one who gains the upper hand on the authorities and others who are trying to track her down.

At the end of the day I want the reader to be entertained by the story.

#20 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I don't see how the novel perpetuates any stereotypes.  Like in real life, there are good and bad LBs in the book. If you wrote a story about a black American who became a serial killer of white men because of treatment he and his family had endured, it would not be judged as stereotypical behavior of an entire race.   It's just a work of fiction, FFS.

#21 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Re- Jonnieb's comment. 

It was never my intention to disrespect or defame Ladyboys when it came to writing the books. I wanted to put a spin on the serial killer genre and set the first book in Bangkok. The lead character is meant to be an anti-hero of sorts and one who gains the upper hand on the authorities and others who are trying to track her down.

At the end of the day I want the reader to be entertained by the story.

An artist has to take responsibility for his work. For millennia, gay people (LGBT) have had to live down the stereotype that they are mentally ill and/or unbalanced. Along with this came the common view that they were criminal types, with a propensity to violence, including murder and suicide. As recently as a few decades ago in the United States, there were still official government videos being circulated warning children against the danger of the homosexual (look them up on YouTube). Even today, many in Pattaya blame ladyboys for all manner of crime in the city. No matter the plotline of this novel, the title is offensive today...would you title a book "The Killer Black Man" or the "Killer Gay Man"? I would hope not...so why the cheap shot of "Killer Ladyboy"? This title just perpetuates ugly stereotypes that most enlightened people have put to rest.

#22 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

An artist has to take responsibility for his work. For millennia, gay people (LGBT) have had to live down the stereotype that they are mentally ill and/or unbalanced. Along with this came the common view that they were criminal types, with a propensity to violence, including murder and suicide. As recently as a few decades ago in the United States, there were still official government videos being circulated warning children against the danger of the homosexual (look them up on YouTube). Even today, many in Pattaya blame ladyboys for all manner of crime in the city. No matter the plotline of this novel, the title is offensive today...would you title a book "The Killer Black Man" or the "Killer Gay Man"? I would hope not...so why the cheap shot of "Killer Ladyboy"? This title just perpetuates ugly stereotypes that most enlightened people have put to rest.

I might be inclined to take you serious on this; however, I have noticed a common theme in your posts. You appear to enjoy stirring the pot by making inflammatory statements. It is very difficult for me to tell if you are being sincere or just taking an opposing opinion for the fun of it.

That said, I'll play along, at least for a post or two.

Your comparison of "Killer Black Man" to "Killer Ladyboy" is compelling to a degree, and it did make me pause to think about it.

However, if there is one thing I hold sacred, it is the freedom of speech. It is easy to defend freedom of speech when you agree with the speaker, but when you don't agree, well, that is when you find out if you are a hypocrite or not.

Charles' choice for the title of his book isn't that provocative in my opinion; while I will concede there is a negative connotation to it, I think it is dubious to claim that it does damage to the general perception of Ladyboys.

Authors and artists should be free to create and make whatever statements they want. Then again, you have the right to voice a dissenting opinion.

Thanks for giving me a pause to ponder the issue.
  • jaybee111 likes this

#23 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I've met a few killer ladyboys over the years, with their killer smiles and their killer legs.

Best of luck with the book Charles, never mind our resident Mister Negative and his happy outlook on life.

• jaybee111 likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#24 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

I've met a few killer ladyboys over the years, with their killer smiles and their killer legs.

Best of luck with the book Charles, never mind our resident Mister Negative and his happy outlook on life.

Is that the best you can do...the ad hominem attack? If you have no answer to my substantive comments then shut your cake-hole!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Killer Ladyboy, Charles Pangham, Books, Fiction

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci