Photo

What do you do for a living in Thailand?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cyanid

cyanid
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I guess there are some people on this forum that live and work in Thailand. If so, what do you do and how did you manage to get to the position of making a living in Thailand?

To many people this would be a dream come true. To be able to live in Thailand while working with something to get an international salary.
Do you run your own companies? Your own bars? Something of the like?

How would one go about relocating to Thailand for longer periods of time?
How did YOU do it? Or how WOULD YOU do it? :)

#2 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

I know one guy who does translation although I would be too distracted

#3 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

Before considering a move to Thailand. First try a long stay of 3-4 months to see if you like living there. As living in Asia is so much different to an holiday.

#4 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Before considering a move to Thailand. First try a long stay of 3-4 months to see if you like living there. As living in Asia is so much different to an holiday.

As OTS says if you haven't already done a long stay you should try it first if possible. I did a six month trip a few years ago and ended up leaving after four months and going to Cambodia and the Philippines for the last two months. When you are there all the time things are different. At least for me.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#5 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

there is a documentry about this, it is called.
"thailand torn between two worlds."
you can download it form torrentz.

http://torrentz.eu/6...2656e55b5f7e1c1

it follows a lad who after his first trip, woke up to the good life and packed his job in back home and flew back to find work.
he speaks his mind throughout, and its an interesting reminder how your firt trip gets in your blood.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#6 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I know a number of guys that earn a living in LOS, but they are very much under the radar. working legally is not easy, there aren't so many juicy Global employers recruiting farangs in Thailand, of course English teachers can find legal work, but hardly earn the cash to indulge in our chosen lifestyles.
We've been hearing that we live in a global village for years, but for most of us it is not a reality, however if you have a skill that mean you could still be able to do your job via internet/email in Preston Perth or Pittsburgh, whilst sitting on your LB's lap in Pattaya, whilst at the same time pulling a western salary, you have made it my man. :D :D
When I were a lad we had the one thing that money can't buy....poverty

#7 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

I do nothing- I retired just before I was 42. Did a bit outside Thailand last year but too much of ]a hassle to do anything in-country.

#8 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

If I had to live there full time I think I would try living in different areas for 3 months periods to get a feel for the place. 8)

If I had to live permanently in Patts I don't think I'd be alive after 3 months.
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#9 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

http://torrentz.eu/6...2656e55b5f7e1c1

Thanks for the link Anthony, I like stuff like this.

I'm downloading it now ...

Meum cerebrum nocet

#10 chuchu

chuchu
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have lived in Bangkok for almost seven years and honestly I wouldn't live anywhere else if I could. Last year I left my teaching job in Bangkok, tired of the lying and nonsense the school was telling parents and expecting me to go along with their stealing and lying. At 50 years old and with the teaching recruiters hiring new teachers for next to nothing, finding a decent job was nearly impossible. Even though living in Bangkok is so much cheaper than in the USA, my Korean wife and I left Bangkok and came to Seoul, S. Korea to open a business here and I just commute back and forth when I feel homesick. I am an America and I do love my country, but I would never live in the states again. I go back for two reasons now.....funerals and to deal with financial things. I will eventually retire back in Bangkok amd I already told my wife, when I die.....make sure you sprinkle my ashes in my favorite watering hole....hahaha
Cheers,
Chu Chu

#11 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

there is a documentry about this, it is called.
"thailand torn between two worlds."

it seemed like a strange experiment. take a miserable guy, give him a free trip to pattaya and be shocked when he jumps into the nightlife. I hate to say I'm as confused as adam

#12 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

i agree,
i think the guy took him over knowing it would fuck his head up and then film it while laughing at him.
bit naughty really.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci