438 replies to this topic

#409 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Altogether today's walk lasted around 2½ hours, I arrived back at 9am.

She got up once I'd returned and showered. After gathering her morning bearings she made us both beans on toast and egg on toast with iced-coffee and fruit juice. A hearty breakfast for any hungry and thirsty barang :yumm:

Attached Files

• Attached File  4221.JPG   118.71KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4223.JPG   193.37KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4225.JPG   194.88KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4226.JPG   216.36KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4227.JPG   179.66KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4234.JPG   213.23KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4228.JPG   157.92KB   22 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#410 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

DC, I've been following this thread for months now and enjoyed every minute of it, thank you. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Cambodia and your photos and posts really help me momentarily escape from the boring monotony of life and let me dream I am back in Cambodia.

I hope to be in PP possibly in October and very much look forward to meeting you. I'm not sure I'll be joining you for late night strolls around the streets of PP though!!

You're too kind Premier and I certainly look forward to meeting you too, I'll be around in October.

Thinking, reminiscing and dreaming of Cambodia makes you and me the same. I've enjoyed so much going back through all my notes and pictures from last year and this TR is as much for me as it is for everyone else. So pleased you're enjoying it too.

I'll try not to drag you down those darkened back streets, but no promises mind :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#411 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

As often seemed to be the case during the month of July the nice morning sunshine was followed mid to late afternoon by brisk winds as a prelude to short-lived hard rain.

Today the winds snapped two substantial branches on a tree just across the road from our apartment balcony, but as in most instances little evidence remained after an hour or so, apart from today's sad trees.

The air was cleansed, now fresh, cool and clean.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4241.JPG   124.2KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4244.JPG   165.5KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4245.JPG   164.63KB   17 downloads
  • Attached File  4246.JPG   175.27KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4247.JPG   179.06KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4248.JPG   193.08KB   23 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#412 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

The next week passed quietly and lazily by as life in Phnom Penh slid along with little or nothing much happening at all.

Walks to the market and shops, home cooking, a stiff neck which lasted several days and dealing with the resident tickly ants inside the apartment being the highlights. It's lovely to do next to nothing sometimes.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4268.JPG   180.06KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4273.JPG   163.04KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4274.JPG   149.9KB   23 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#413 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

That time of the month had come round again and bills needed to be paid. The main variable on the bills is the electric and this month came to only $28.35, a total of 181 units used at a cost of 35c per unit. Almost half what it was last time as we'd spent two weeks away up in Battambang and Siem Reap, so it was to be expected.

I was getting well used to life in Phnom Penh overall and liking it so far. Not every day needs to be action packed, but there were still some things on my agenda which I wanted to do before the time on this 4 month trip expired.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4409.JPG   172.56KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4438.JPG   95.67KB   21 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#414 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

One of my agenda items was to take a closer look at Stung Meanchey rubbish dump which used to be the city's primary rubbish site until a new site was constructed on the outskirts of the city a few years ago.

Despite the new dump location and the new rubbish being taken there, the original community who eked out a living on the tip were left behind.

There are manned gates at the entrance to the Stung Meanchey dump so we could not access from there, so we rode a number of dusty tracks to find a way in from another direction. We parked-up the bike by some small dwellings close to where we believed the dump location to be and a small remuneration was pledged to some youngsters standing nearby to guard the bike while we were away on foot. They kindly obliged.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4280.JPG   201.75KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4281.JPG   208.11KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4282.JPG   206.85KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4283.JPG   180.77KB   25 downloads
  • Attached File  4284.JPG   160.42KB   19 downloads
  • Attached File  4277.JPG   146.82KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4279.JPG   178.69KB   17 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#415 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Everybody was very friendly and many "hello's" were exchanged, mainly with the kids but quite a few grown-ups too. She spoke with a few of the locals and they said it's ok to walk through and that nobody would mind.

Despite being made to feel welcome I was reluctant to produce the camera as much as I would've liked, I felt I was intruding and they knew they were poor. There were no other barang there.

In amongst all the make-shift looking shacks and rubbish strewn everywhere there was a new-looking school which was setup through a charity. We could see the kids lined up listening to their teacher inside, all in matching uniform, it was a heart-warming sight in this little hell-hole.

We proceeded further through this little village towards the tip and my LBGF apologised for the smell. To be honest I couldn't smell anything but I imagined it could be bad under certain conditions. I smelt a sulphur-like smell when we first arrived so perhaps my nose adapted fast or the sheets covering layers of rubbish were doing a good job at keeping the fumes at bay.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4286.JPG   151.42KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4287.JPG   182.48KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4295.JPG   158.54KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4296.JPG   205.47KB   22 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#416 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

During the visit a little boy walked alongside me and then held my hand for a while as we walked, I couldn't help but feel my heart being yanked out good and proper, but I was also aware of where that little unwashed hand had been and made a point of remembering not to bring it to my mouth until I'd washed it.

Back to the bike and she gave the kids some Riel as promised, about 6,000 (£1). We drove back to her house which is less than 1km away and I washed my hands immediately.

As soon as I sat down ice-cold coca-cola was produced by her mum and a chair for me to sit on (how can I not love these people?) and we sat out by the main door to catch some breeze as the fans were off due to a power-cut at the time.

Their 2 cats had both had kittens while we were in Battambang, so cute, I'm fond of cats.

It had been an eye-opening and enjoyable day, at least for the barang.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4297.JPG   204.38KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4298.JPG   200.16KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4299.JPG   182.99KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4300.JPG   184.98KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4301.JPG   168.42KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4302.JPG   213.18KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4308.JPG   138.77KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4311.JPG   142.77KB   21 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#417 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Here's me thinking hooray my favourite thread is back only to discover BMX has been exploring.

Nice to see DC's pics again though... :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#418 Arsonist

Arsonist
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

This is spectacular stuff, I'm not up to date yet but it's certainly required reading.

A brilliant composition Dickson Cock :rock:

#419 kakila

kakila
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

DC

sensational stuff my friend, enjoying the great read and pics enormously.

shame I missed you when you were in patts I was only there sneaky sneaky for 2 days. I found out you were in Patts as I caught up with MDS in bangers who said he met you. By then i was back in Bangers with the lovely one and no chance of returning o sin city.

I may be back end of the year for 2 months dec and jan. I will keep you in the loop if i can get my plans together, hopefully i can get over to visit you in Cambodia.

enjoy and keep reporting.

cheers kakila
pela is no more. a necessary name change to prevent wife turning me into a post op

#420 JustSumGai

JustSumGai
  • Members
  • 167 posts
  • Locationon the Gulf of Mexico

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

very complete photo essay. Did not see the captions often referred to. I was in B'bang, PP and a couple other spots January and some of Feb of that year. Really the best set of pics on Cambodia that I can recall seeing. Did you ever find the White Rose in B'bang? very good stuff and very reasonable, at least back then, not too sure about now. Early on the chicken bus bit reminded me of an experience at PP's main bus stop (the ducks were live). Think the food in the pic cost me about $4.50. I had no idea the spring rolls would be so many, figured a couple tiny ones. Both containers were bulging with double rubber bands.

Attached File  100_7373.JPG   204.89KB   1 downloadsAttached File  100_5354.JPG   173.98KB   0 downloads

• dixon cox and snoop-dawg like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci