438 replies to this topic

#397 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Now back in Phnom Penh having completed a full lap of the Tonle Sap over the last few weeks, life for the remaining 6 weeks of my time in Cambodia during July and August 2011 settled back into a normal everyday existence and routine. So no more day-to-day reports unless I had a specific day out, took a visit somewhere or did something interesting.

If you thought some of the previous parts of this thread were a bit boring then be grateful for small mercies :mrgreen:

~

Many evenings she used to head off out before me to chat with her friends and I would catch up with her later at a venue or do something else on my own or with other guys who were in town. It's important people allow each other space.

Often I would end up walking from one place to another at night and was often surprised to see how empty parts of the city became after as early as 10 or 11pm.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4181.JPG   111.04KB   25 downloads
  • Attached File  4182.JPG   113.68KB   28 downloads
  • Attached File  4254.JPG   101.1KB   26 downloads
  • Attached File  4255.JPG   118.31KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4257.JPG   102.26KB   18 downloads
  • Attached File  4261.JPG   96.16KB   17 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#398 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Some of the streets I walked through felt a bit moody and many had no signs of life, but it added a certain thrill and excitement to the walks.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4412.JPG   99.62KB   26 downloads
  • Attached File  4419.JPG   116.37KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4420.JPG   89.76KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4422.JPG   83.76KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4423.JPG   110.33KB   22 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#399 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

I occasionally used the excuse of a late night stroll for photography purposes as a reason to get out for a walk on my own after hours.

Such a ruse would allow me to walk around and seek out street corners and other less salubrious locations; such as Wat Phnom's traffic circle or take a look at who or what was available on Norodom Boulevard at the corners of 106 and 108. A little too uncomfortable to risk some photos in these locations though, I'm afraid.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4424.JPG   123.41KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4425.JPG   105.06KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4426.JPG   108.27KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4427.JPG   98.89KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4428.JPG   109.54KB   22 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#400 Coco

Coco
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Dixon,
Reading your report and viewing your pictures is a real treat for me. I myself are just a few years from retiring and I spend many nights thinking what it’s like to live in another country . And how my days and nights would live out... I get this feeling it will be close to what is on your pages of your trip report … not a bad way to existent …

Thanks again for posting please keep it up.. your trip report has great observations and your pictures show the lay of the land ..

I would not worry about the lack of posting remarks ..there is nothing to say you did such a good job …

I like the fact I know this journalist personally …..Doug

#401 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Those deserted street shots at night are pretty eerie... :?

Did you have your money in the usual place... :D

Great thread this DC...thanks. :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#402 BigTel

BigTel
  • Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLinda Bar

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

I've sped things up a bit posting-wise because I'm trying to get this TR done and dusted before I leave again in just over a weeks time, as once I'm in Thailand and Cambodia I'll have other things to be doing, plus no access to all my pics at home.

I have really enjoyed your photos and narrative D C :D , good luck in your next new adventure and travels next week, take care and look forward to catching up with you some time in the future.

all the best

Tel :cheers:
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

#403 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

I won't take you out on all of my remaining walks in Phnom Penh, but this morning (7/7/11) was a particularly nice clear day 8)

I woke at 05:00 but dozed on for a further 30 mins. My internet connection was OFF as it often was around this time of day as the lady who operated the local internet shop where my wired connection was sourced took her morning exercise walk and deemed it necessary to turn off the equipment as no-one ever used it that time :|

I had a tinned iced-coffee and could hear the tuk-tuk driver banter outside on the street and the sound of light passing traffic, it looked like a lovely clear morning with blue sky and just a wisp of cloud. Ideal, so out I went as she slept on.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4185.JPG   145.76KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  4187.JPG   173.98KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4188.JPG   170.77KB   27 downloads
  • Attached File  4197.JPG   165.17KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4206.JPG   116.75KB   22 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#404 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Coco[/url]"]I like the fact I know this journalist personally ..Doug

You're very kind Doug, many thanks.

We had a good few nights out in Phnom Penh last year so it's good to receive those kind of positive comments from a guy who's feet have touched Cambodian soil.
I hope we can try and repeat that again some time in the future :cheers:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#405 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

Those deserted street shots at night are pretty eerie... :?

Did you have your money in the usual place... :D

The first few times it did feel a bit on the eerie side but you soon became accustomed to it. Even so it's always wise to be aware of your surroundings and even more so if you are alone and to not display any vulnerabilities.

Regarding money, I often wore a sturdy pair of flip-flops I'd acquired from Fairy Plaza in Khon Kaen back in 2008 that are still going strong. I have a few pairs of shorts now with specially deepened pockets in which my funds are distributed, even I have to dig well deep to retrieve the contents :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#406 Premier

Premier
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

DC, I've been following this thread for months now and enjoyed every minute of it, thank you. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Cambodia and your photos and posts really help me momentarily escape from the boring monotony of life and let me dream I am back in Cambodia.

I hope to be in PP possibly in October and very much look forward to meeting you. I'm not sure I'll be joining you for late night strolls around the streets of PP though!!

#407 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

As on many of these early morning walks I just made up the route as I went along with only the flimsiest of ideas of where I was going. If you possess even just a reasonable ability to maintain your bearings then Phnom Penh becomes a very easy city to navigate your way around. But on foot you can see and absorb far more than you ever could by zooming around in a tuk-tuk or on the back of a motodop, but you'll never be short of offers.

I'd often thought about taking a slow and relaxing cyclo ride clear across town and then returning on foot, such as to the Russian Market. But it just never seemed to happen that way, I'll do that next time.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4192.JPG   178.36KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  4209.JPG   158.68KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4210.JPG   188.35KB   20 downloads
  • Attached File  4214.JPG   160.17KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  4218.JPG   177.54KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  4219.JPG   206.51KB   22 downloads

• dixon cox and snoop-dawg like this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#408 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have really enjoyed your photos and narrative D C :D , good luck in your next new adventure and travels next week, take care and look forward to catching up with you some time in the future.

all the best
Tel :cheers:

Many thanks Tel 8)

It's likely I'll be making a few trips to Thailand during my time away although the bulk of it will probably be spent in Cambodia again. However, I'll be keeping an eye out on the forums for who's around in any given country at any given time for a catch-up and I'm sure you'll be there at some stage and I look forward to it.

Thanks as always for your kind comments :D

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci