• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#121 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

stellar photos and trip report sgt. dixon cox 8) do you have any night pics of ladyboys in the streets, bars, etc.? Also any pics in the loom, lol!

Hello e123 and welcome to our humble forum :wlcm: First things first...It gives me great pleasure to be the catalyst for your inaugural post during the last 6 years of your membership :mrgreen:...

Let me echo DC's sentiments to welcome e123 to the forum. It's not often we get a 6 year umm, well lurker, making an initial post. :clapclap: Keep the posts coming e123. And, of course, you too DC. Still loving your off the beaten path report.

#122 environmental123

environmental123
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

to set the record straight, I have previously contributed to the forum under environmental1234. Somehow I must have started up the environmental123 account sometime over the past 6 years.

Never been to Asia, unfortunately but have posted some very helpful tgirl hunting information on Costa Rica and Dominican Republic in the Outside Thailand section.

I envy you guys! I hope to travel to southeast asia this year. Carry on with your good work gentleman!!! :loco: :tada: 8) 8) 8) 8)

#123 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Today, the 7th January, is Liberation Day (or Victory Day) in Cambodia.

It is a day of remembrance for the many who lost their lives during the appalling genocide at the hands of Pol Pot and is a national holiday for the Cambodian citizens.

It was on this day 33 years ago, back in 1979, that Phnom Penh was finally taken back from the Khmer Rouge.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#124 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

Back in Sihanoukville at the Sasha Guesthouse we're keen not to waste the final few hours of bike rental, so in search of breakfast and some fresh air we're soon off out on the bike heading in the direction of Ochheuteal Beach.

We stop off at Sokha Beach along the way for a relaxing and quiet stroll to help blow away the cobwebs of a poor night's sleep, apart from one person on litter patrol there was no-one else around, lovely.

Breakfast at the Mango Cafe halfway down the hill on Serendipity Beach Road, although surrounded by building works it was a tasty and enjoyable breakfast with very pleasant and friendly staff, we were their only two customers.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#125 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

After breakfast it's back to Sasha Guesthouse. Those quiet roads where you're on high alert in the pitch-black of night seem so harmless during the daytime.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2848.JPG   201.83KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2849.JPG   181.48KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2862.JPG   170.53KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2866.JPG   225.01KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2846.JPG   166.96KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2847.JPG   200.59KB   6 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#126 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

With arrangements now made at the New Sea View Villa, our new home for the next several days, we check out of the Sasha Guesthouse and a tuk-tuk is arranged to carry us and our baggage back to Serendipity Beach Road, for a fee of $4.

Although the Sasha Guesthouse was pretty basic it was not a bad place to stay, the staff were friendly and hospitable, but it felt so remote. What seemed like fairly common power outages left you with absolutely nothing too, apart from a laptop on batteries in the dark with no internet.

Once checked-in and settled we take it easy with a walk out and about during the afternoon and relax on the beach, then back to the room late afternoon to catch up on some sleep before checking out the hotel restaurant, which was almost full, so it must have been quite good and it was, very good, but expensive.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#127 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Did you check out Boom Boom records ?

I love finding places like this .

Myself and another friend from back home always have the hope we will unearth some rare vinyl in these places , it almost happened one time with what looked like Japanese import soul records only problem was when they finally got a spin they were in Japanese !!
Where your friend you ?

#128 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

The New Sea View Villa.

$17 per night included TV, AC, fan, hot water, communal fridge and safety box in reception (not in the room) and free Wi-Fi, but the signal was very poor in the room. This will also be the last toilet-tour from Sihanoukville.

Although in a good location with very good communal facilities, which included a pool table, lounge area and a bar and restaurant, I suspect like some others who've managed to get a mention on TripAdvisor and in the Lonely Planet, the owners have become a little complacent over time, plus it had a fair few backpackers in it too, but it was ok.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2883.JPG   185.12KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2890.JPG   97.13KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2885.JPG   108.64KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2886.JPG   110.44KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2887.JPG   124.79KB   7 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#129 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

Did you check out Boom Boom records? - I love finding places like this.

Yes, I did go in and look.

Unfortunately there was no vinyl to be seen, if there was it might have already melted. I don't recall ever seeing any vinyl in Cambodia at all, I don't think they even know what a record player is. Boom Boom was all downloads, CD's and DVD's, they had an extensive collection available, plus other tourist gubbins.

One bit of good news however, the New Sea View Villa had great music playing in the bar and restaurant areas everyday. I used to sit on my laptop on the Wi-Fi whilst listening to their excellent piped 80's music with tons of funk and smooth jazz. The owner must have been a fan too.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#130 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

As there was a no smoking policy in the rooms at the New Sea View Villa, each morning I would rise early, shower, then take my laptop and a few cans of cold ice coffee to the communal area of the hotel connect to their Wi-Fi and casually browse the forums and read the news.

Once little Madam had awoken several hours later she'd text or call me and we'd head off for breakfast, which was either Cafe Mango or the GST Restuarant. Both about a one minute walk away, which was just as well, it was the first week of May 2011 and every day it was very, very hot.

Speaking with the guy at Cafe Mango (Narad), it transpired that the barang lady owner of the New Sea View Villa was also the same owner of Cafe Mango.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#131 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

May 2nd, 2011.

It seems the mains power supply in Sihanoukville is quite low, I found out when my hair clippers barely moved when I needed them. My hair still needed sorting out as it was getting long (about 4mm in length), so I ended up shaving it instead for the first time in my life and went through 3 razors in the process. A milestone.

Later, whilst eating at the GST Restaurant, I turned my bald head to the TV to see some interesting breaking news.

The date of the first time I ever shaved my head is now etched in memory.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2924.JPG   152.19KB   8 downloads
  • Attached File  2925.JPG   156.55KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2926.JPG   137.41KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2929.JPG   118.18KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2946.JPG   146.81KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2948.JPG   133.72KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2950.JPG   84.36KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2953.JPG   113.38KB   6 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#132 Premier

Premier
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

DC, I have fond memories of the New Sea View Villas, and even fonder memories of a local ladyboy I found on Serendipity Beach late one night. I remember their restaurant food was top notch.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci