#97 BigTel

BigTel
  • Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLinda Bar

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Superb photos, I'm really enjoying this D C :rock:

:cheers: Tel
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

#98 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

Superb photos, I'm really enjoying this DC

Many thanks Tel, much appreciated 8)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#99 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

Very apt those last few pics DC given that the coming year is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic going down .

Great work dear boy :clapclap:
Where your friend you ?

#100 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Very apt those last few pics DC given that the coming year is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic going down.

Great work dear boy :clapclap:

Cheers Soulboy 8)

As it happens I recorded and watched "Titanic" again the other day, good movie :D

Meum cerebrum nocet

#101 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Around 9:30pm we arrived back at the Markara Guesthouse & Restaurant. We were starving hungry, but showered first after the long tiring walk.

Outside, the advertised BBQ had already finished and apparently the restaurant was due to close at 10pm, so we didn't have long. We hastily scanned the menu and gave our orders to the unnattentive staff.

An uninvited guest at dinner, who almost dropped-in, reminded me of the time back in 1998 on Phi Phi Island at the PP Viewpoint Resort. There's something kinda spooky about these creatures and Thais I've spoken to about them don't like them and are scared. You sometimes hear them call-out "too-kay", which is where their names originates, but you don't often get to see them.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#102 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

The Markara Guesthouse & Restaurant.

$15 for our room, although they had other smaller rooms starting at $6. Ours had AC, TV, ceiling fan, fridge and free Wi-Fi and there was a communal internet area too. But we didn't like it, I felt that some of room cost was the tuk-tuk driver's commission who brought us there in the first place, plus the poor restaurant service and the indifferent staff.

We'd be moving out after only one night.

The last image is of the ChildSafe Policy which can be found in most hotels, this one was from the Beach Road Hotel.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#103 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

In the morning, before checking-out of the Markara Guesthouse, we take a gentle stroll along Ochheuteal Beach and have something to eat outside before returning to say goodbye to the Markara for good.

Ochheuteal Beach is the most touristed and popular beach in Sihanoukville, it's where the majority of visitors who want sea and sand end up and it's where the bulk of all seaside restaurants, bars and loungers are located too. They even have their own little water-world and jet-skis too.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#104 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

Food on the beach and drinks from the nearest restaurant and it's a pleasant 30 minutes, but with check-out time approaching we can't spend all day here and must head back.

Upon leaving the Markara we refuse the first available tuk-tuk which is parked directly outside, which just happens to be the same driver who brought us here, commission confirmed, but no big deal, next.

We walk a little and it's only moments before another arrives, he is directed to the Queen Hill Resort and off we go.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2728.JPG   164.12KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2734.JPG   155.77KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2749.JPG   171.29KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  2753.JPG   107.6KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2755.JPG   110.52KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2756.JPG   168.11KB   5 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#105 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

We arrive at Queen Hill Resort, get checked-in and we're very soon sitting on the balcony absorbing the peace and quiet and the wonderful views. This place is all about the view, if it weren't for that they'd have little trade as the state of the room was pretty poor.

We decided this afternoon that we wanted to rent a motorbike and asked the guy at the little reception hut if they had any. They didn't, but they could get one delivered. I agreed and by the time it arrived the paperwork, a payment of $7 and my passport had all been dealt with, but there was now a problem.

The motorbike was in very poor condition and I believe they palmed the shittiest one off on me, no number plate and it had a bald front tyre too, I refused it. The guy dealing with us at the reception hut said he will not change the bike and if I refused this bike I would still have to pay because they'd already delivered it.

Despite a small gathering of tuk-tuk and moto riders having formed close by to see what the fuss was about, I still refused to accept this bike and asked for my money to be refunded and for my passport to be returned. But he gave me one of those dumb-dumb looks and mumbled something and it's obvious we're getting nowhere and the barang (me) can just shut up and accept it. I then suggested we get the tourist police to come up so they could take a look at the motorbike and pass their verdict on its road-worthiness and sort this problem out. With a disgruntled look and some Khmer grumbling my money and passport were returned and we walked away.

Note:
- ALL bike rentals require a passport to be left.
- Prices range from $7 per day (for auto) down to $4 per day (for manual).
- Bicycles, where available, from $2 per day.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2785.JPG   189.09KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2786.JPG   220.45KB   6 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#106 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Queen Hill Resort Bungalows and Restaurant, between Otres and Ochheuteal beaches.

Our bungalow cost $25 per night and included AC, TV, fan, fridge and balcony with excellent sea views over the Gulf.

Website for the Queen Hill Resort.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#107 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

That's a mighty big kite above your bed DC how did it fly ?
Where your friend you ?

#108 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

That's a mighty big kite above your bed DC how did it fly ?

Probably do well if I'd thrown it off the balcony, I was tempted :D

Meum cerebrum nocet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci