What Sound System are you using?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#37 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, i have some flac files. So they are good enough?
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#38 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl and it seems to be making a comeback.

#39 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, i know. I was in record shop last week, for the first time in years, and he played a good album, i decided to get it, he asked me if i wanted the cd or vinyl. That made me smile.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#40 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

The portability and space saving issues with files, availability of free downloads and the onset and meteoric rise of Apple i-pods have created an entire generation who will never know or the experience of sound as it moves through the air and creates a "soundstage".

Nor the joy of waiting for the latest album you ordered to arrive at your local record store. Album art was indeed a joy and a usually a story in itself, we eagerly digested the words and became overnight aficionados of our favourite bands.

You'll have me going on about the gigs I've been to next... :harhar:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#41 eddy1925

eddy1925
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:04 AM

Yeah, i know. I was in record shop last week, for the first time in years, and he played a good album, i decided to get it, he asked me if i wanted the cd or vinyl. That made me smile.

Take it Vinyl. They beat EVERY CD. It Doesn't matter if in AAA or DDD

#42 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:09 AM

I saw someone on Antiques Roadshow the other day that had a pristine copy of the Beatles "Yesterday and Today" with the butcher cover. She bought it at Sears for $2.99. Worth about $3000 today in that condition.

I still have a bastardized sound system with mismatched equipment with a Teac tuner that is about 15 years old. Nothing special but it has a turntable which I need as I find and sell used LP's on Ebay. Also nice to make the walls vibrate every now and again. :D

#43 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:35 AM

Same as Petesie I also had a Linn Sondek and a Naim amp back in the early 80's, blinding pieces of kit. But sadly sold them years ago as I needed the money at the time, they weren't cheap.

From the early 90's I still have a quantity of separates, including a Rotel Pre-amp, plus 2 Rotel 850 power amps (one per channel) and some beefy Monitor Audios and a Dual 505B turntable in the loft. But alas, I haven't heard my vinyl in years.

Difficult to carry the above around if I want portable music, so convenience naturally wins. I listen to my music these days via the PC mainly through yet another Rotel amp (810A) and a pair of Mordaunt Shorts. Again, years old, but they still sound great.

Before the advent of the internet in the early 90's I used to pass many hours trying to make music (thought I was Paul Hardcastle). All the gear's still in the loft; a Roland W30 sampler keyboard, Roland R5 drum machine, Roland MT32, Roland M12E mixer and various other sound processing devices all via MIDI on the PC (previously an AtariST). Good memories, good times.

For the last 12 years all of my money has been spent on travelling and paying off the mortgage, very little on new toys now.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#44 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:57 AM

I was so reluctant to go CD in early 90´s , but i did after all. Now i don't even have a cd player in my house. CD feels so outdated.

I still have all my vinyls, some rare gems.

I haven't found a satisfying system of music yet.
I´ll just dump my music to my iPhone now...how sexy is that
:loco:
-boomdraw

#45 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

Yeah, I have almost everything on a 64gb ipod these days just for the convenience.

#46 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

I've been down the upgrade path a fair few times...and discovered the increased expenditure doesn't necessary mean an "improvement".

With Hi Fi you never know what component will work well with another, sure you get the recommendations from the magazines and the Hi Fi shop but forget your eyes and use your ears.

I remember going round to a mates house nearly 20 years ago to listen to the 5k Naim CD transport he'd just bought, used with Naim power and pre amps and Naim active speakers it sounded amazing!

The following night I listened to another friend's kit who had not so deep pockets and actually much preferred the sound from his early 80's Yamaha transistor amp with the big old VU meters coupled to some 10 year old Infinity speakers and the obligatory Linn Sondek turntable.

I was admiring his speaker cable when he told me he'd got it from the local DIY store and it was an old power cable from a lawn mower and he'd just stripped the earth out. :shock:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#47 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

I was so reluctant to go CD in early 90´s

Me too, but I still remember the first two CD's I bought;

Madonna ~ True Blue
Dire Straits ~ Brothers In Arms

Brothers In Arms was a DDD CD and it was one of the first. I listened to the start of Money For Nothing over and over again at high volume, the drums at the start sounded out of this world on that new fandangled Compact Disc device...

I want my MTV 8)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#48 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci