• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#13 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

I closed my browser, removed most cookies,deleted my history, ran a scan, opened my browser, went to this site, clicked on 6 random threads, closed the browser, and ran a scan. No malware, spyware, not even underwear. Clean.

I also cleared everything and then came to this site and surfed though a few threads. I ran my virus program and a separate spyware program and both came up clean.

Panda Global Protection 2012 gets a mediocre review at PC Magazine:
http://www.pcmag.com...,2385968,00.asp
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#14 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

I wear a condom while I browse

#15 deepthroat69

deepthroat69
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

:spam:

No problems using Avira - are you spamming for Panda? :ang3:

I third that suspicion. Why the repeated promotional info about your virus protection if not?
2nd Annual GOTC: 3rd Feb. 2012 8pm Pook Soi 6 (upstairs bar) - BE THERE!

#16 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

No problems with a scan here - maybe a "scam" here.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#17 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

I third that suspicion. Why the repeated promotional info about your virus protection if not?

I asked him the question and he answered it.

But I suspect it is an isolated case on lbaddict's PC or that Panda (I've never used it) has built-in self-spamming on the free version which reports issues other products don't find to promote the purchase of their full product.

I personally use the following FREE utilities (for PC): -

AVG
Super AntiSpyware
Malaware Bytes

Meum cerebrum nocet

#18 Hoot

Hoot
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about your alerts lbaddict, as Dixon and others mentioned your software is probably giving you some false positives.

We've had enough board members respond checking the site with a variety of programs all coming up clean. Which gives me confidence in the majority. (Plus my software gives it a clean bill of health as well)

I know my Norton tells me once a week I've had 4-6 security threats, which turn out to be tracking cookies. Guess they missed the other 100 on my system. :D

I personally use the following FREE utilities (for PC): -

AVG

How are you liking AVG DC? I used it a few years ago but got hit by a nasty virus - which oddly enough took over my system and wouldn't let it go till I bought their Anti-Virus software :D Needless to say I passed on their offer and ended up having to blow away my system and start from scratch...oh the horror...

I don't blame them for the issue - like any software you need to keep it up to date, which I didn't.

#19 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

How are you liking AVG DC? I used it a few years ago but got hit by a nasty virus - which oddly enough took over my system and wouldn't let it go till I bought their Anti-Virus software.

All these utilities are only as good as their most recent update, so it's important to allow them to update regularly, which I do.

AVG isn't perfect but it is a great freebie. I've also used Norton/Symantec in the past but since Windows 7 I didn't want to pay for a newer version, hence AVG. Combined with a good in-built firewall on my router (plus the Windows one) I'm happy.

An excellent and safe website for checking your firewall effectiveness and port vulnerability is:

(www.grc.com) ShieldsUp!

... Press the 'Proceed' button and choose the test.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#20 lbaddict

lbaddict
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

I asked him the question and he answered it.

But I suspect it is an isolated case on lbaddict's PC or that Panda (I've never used it) has built-in self-spamming on the free version which reports issues other products don't find to promote the purchase of their full product.

I'm using the paid version. Maybe I worry too much.

#21 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

With the web, you can never worry too much. But I think the parameters for your software may be tighter than other software, hence the hits. Like everyone has said, we're doing good, so your software may be ratcheted down too tight.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#22 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

The usual protection...

Attached Files

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#23 eddy1925

eddy1925
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Re: How safe is this forum ?

... as long as you wear a condom, I don't see a Problem :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci