Renting a motor scooter in Pattaya

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

What are the rates for renting a motor scooter in Patts? Is it safe to leave it parked near WS at night? From what I have seen, it is a dangerous sport for Farangs.

#2 LB3048

LB3048
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

A couple of things to be cautious about when renting a scooter.

Some if not all operators will want your passport while the the scooter is in your possession, when it comes time to return the bike some of the unscrupulous operators will try and charges extortionate rates for repairs to scratches which were already there when you hired the bike. Do a search around on this and other forums to try and find out who are reputable business people and who are scamers. The same can be said for jet ski rentals.

Some travel insurance policies will not cover you for motor cycle accidents (repairs to the bike or yourself) if you do not have a motorcycle license in your home country. I do know someone who had a scooter accident and put the claim through as a bicycle accident, he successfully got the payout from the insurer.

Cheers
LB3048

#3 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

why rent when you can travel all over town in songtaews for 10 baht a ride? Most MB taxi journeys only gonna run to B50 as well. Far safer than riding around yourself. Takes the temptation of drink driving away as well

#4 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

why rent when you can travel all over town in songtaews for 10 baht a ride? Most MB taxi journeys only gonna run to B50 as well. Far safer than riding around yourself. Takes the temptation of drink driving away as well

i was of the same thinking last trip. and my apartment was close to walking street.
but after 2 weeks of sitting on packed out baht buses with the unwashed arabs and russians chatting loudly on mobile phones, i was losing it and rented a bike.
the resort is changing, and the friendly banter on buses with other farang is few and far between.

expect to pay 3500 for one months rent.
i always use the same guy, when it is delivered, have a good look around it and take pictures of it. he knows i know, and ive never had any problems.
you dont have to leave passport, but a 500 deposit.
you can park near marine sea food, back of walking street for 20 baht. secure parking with a guard.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#5 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

i was of the same thinking last trip. and my apartment was close to walking street.
but after 2 weeks of sitting on packed out baht buses with the unwashed arabs and russians chatting loudly on mobile phones, i was losing it and rented a bike.
the resort is changing, and the friendly banter on buses with other farang is few and far between.

expect to pay 3500 for one months rent.
i always use the same guy, when it is delivered, have a good look around it and take pictures of it. he knows i know, and ive never had any problems.
you dont have to leave passport, but a 500 deposit.
you can park near marine sea food, back of walking street for 20 baht. secure parking with a guard.

Thanks A70. Do you have his location or number? As far as riding the Baht bus or Taxi, It costs me 100 baht to ride on the back of a motor just to get from WS to the Marriott.

#6 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

sak - 086-8332363 , 089-4043842.

he will bring a bike to your hotel.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#7 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

It costs me 100 baht to ride on the back of a motor just to get from WS to the Marriott.

That´s a bit steep, should be 40 or 60.
Personally i would never ride a bike there, it´s too dangerous.
Also when the taxidrivers reeks from Sang Som, i try to find another one.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#8 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

I rented one on Soi Diana, near Soi Buakhao. (about 1/2 block or so from Soi Buakhao, headed toward the beach.....I never got my bearings, so not sure if it's west....or whatever....).

I did leave my passport (I hate doing that). But, no problems, bike was reliable, very efficient....as things in Thailand go. Big agency, they also rent cars.

I hated riding a scotter in Pattaya. Much more enjoyable in Phuket, where i'd frequently leave Patong completely and enjoy long stretches of scarcely populated 2-lane.

Nix
Nix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci