Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

#3 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:57 AM

Well i certainly don't know where all those "millions" of passengers are going - i don't believe for one minute they're headed for Pattaya or Patong. Maybe, as BKK is a "hub", they're just passing through to somewhere else. This Low Season is shaping up to be the worst in my 5 years experience.
I ate tonight in the soi leading to Patong Tower - i was the only customer in the whole damn soi! Even the popular beach restaurants were quiet. There's bars, restaurants, and guesthouses for sale all over the place. And you could buy 6 hair salons for the price of a packet of fags!

#4 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

The figures sound about right to me. Bkk airport though is not growing as much they would like to claim - when you look at 10 year stats the growth has been laughable compared to other airports in the region. The growth is also impacted by the fact that the airport had been closed and was still well down in numbers. Hong Kong is by far the busiest Asia Pac International Airport and is not that far behind Heathrow and Paris which are #1,2 respectively. To put it into perspective Hong Kong has 50% more passengers than Bangkok. Singapore has 25% more International passengers than Bangkok as well.

However what you are seeing is that intra region travel is ballooning and Long haul travel is reducing as proportion of the overall total. Basically the growth is coming through more, short trips from within Asia and less long trips which traditionally come from Europe.

The demographics are changing and changing fast.

#5 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

A self-serving article based on MasterCard research in a website to promote Thai business! It is based on cross-border (visitor) spending and arrivals, which probably translates in real-world terms to someone using their credit card in the duty-free shops or restaurants.

Both VISA and MasterCard have massive databases, which analyse users' behaviour based on time/ place of purchase, item(s) bought, and then sell them back to marketeers and advertising companies.

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

#7 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Is it really this busy?

http://thailand-busi...ty-for-visitors

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

#9 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:57 AM

Well i certainly don't know where all those "millions" of passengers are going - i don't believe for one minute they're headed for Pattaya or Patong. Maybe, as BKK is a "hub", they're just passing through to somewhere else. This Low Season is shaping up to be the worst in my 5 years experience.
I ate tonight in the soi leading to Patong Tower - i was the only customer in the whole damn soi! Even the popular beach restaurants were quiet. There's bars, restaurants, and guesthouses for sale all over the place. And you could buy 6 hair salons for the price of a packet of fags!

#10 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

The figures sound about right to me. Bkk airport though is not growing as much they would like to claim - when you look at 10 year stats the growth has been laughable compared to other airports in the region. The growth is also impacted by the fact that the airport had been closed and was still well down in numbers. Hong Kong is by far the busiest Asia Pac International Airport and is not that far behind Heathrow and Paris which are #1,2 respectively. To put it into perspective Hong Kong has 50% more passengers than Bangkok. Singapore has 25% more International passengers than Bangkok as well.

However what you are seeing is that intra region travel is ballooning and Long haul travel is reducing as proportion of the overall total. Basically the growth is coming through more, short trips from within Asia and less long trips which traditionally come from Europe.

The demographics are changing and changing fast.

#11 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

A self-serving article based on MasterCard research in a website to promote Thai business! It is based on cross-border (visitor) spending and arrivals, which probably translates in real-world terms to someone using their credit card in the duty-free shops or restaurants.

Both VISA and MasterCard have massive databases, which analyse users' behaviour based on time/ place of purchase, item(s) bought, and then sell them back to marketeers and advertising companies.

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci