Travel during election time?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yippie

yippie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Is anyone going to Thailand during the election time? (Late June to early July)
I'm not really sure about the chance of riots and protests but i'm thinking if i avoid BKK i should be ok.. This means going to Phuket only. I'll be travelling early July but may put it off until i can see whats happening over there!

Whats everyone think?

#2 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Is anyone going to Thailand during the election time? (Late June to early July)
I'm not really sure about the chance of riots and protests but i'm thinking if i avoid BKK i should be ok.. This means going to Phuket only. I'll be travelling early July but may put it off until i can see whats happening over there!

Whats everyone think?

Don't worry too much about any of that stuff.

I have been in the country plenty of times whilst there has been political protests and it really has no impact on your holiday.

Unless you are in the specific area where the protests are being held, you wouldn't even know anything is happening.

I think it often looks alot worse to those watching it on television back overseas.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

... This means going to Phuket only.

There are other locations in Thailand besides just Phuket :roll:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

I was here in Pattaya in 2006 during the last military coup.

We all watched it on TV in a bar where business was as usual. Nobody paid any attention until all TV transmissions were terminated and then we all got back to admiring the ladies.

Obviously do not get involved and stay away from Government areas in major cities - Bangkok.

#5 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

I was in Pattaya during the airport takeover and was praying that it would last longer so I would be unable to leave! Unfortunately, mine was one of the first flights out after they dispersed. I didn't see any evidence in Patts of problems. It was business as usual.

#6 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

They do close the bars during elections. Was in Pattaya a few years ago in December during elections and they closed the bars two weekends in a row. Not than you can't find someplace to get some booze but most of the bars are closed.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#7 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

I too had the grevious misfortune to be stranded for 11 extra days when the blighters took over the airport....

No hassle really...as people couldn't get out or in so hotel availability was ok you just kept a rolling bill and stayed put...mind you it did cost me a pair of tits.... :roll: :mrgreen:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#8 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

Hopefully the crazy times will drive some LT down!! :clapclap: :clapclap:

#9 yippie

yippie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yeah my main concern was getting to the airport and getting out if there was another riot like the airport riots.. Thats why I am think of flying direct to Phuket rather than BKK. I have been checking flights and they are actually cheaper anyways.

#10 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

I asked my only :blush: what she thinks about election and reds and if there will be problem.. she told me she don't know but it sure will be less problems in Korat than in Bangkok... but more or less she didn't give a f.. about elections.

It will I guess be the same like last demonstrations in April 2010 I witnessed... farangs will make big drama out of it, paid protesters will feed family and have good time and ordinary Thais will just mind their own business. We will see... :angel:

BR

#11 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Yeah my main concern was getting to the airport and getting out if there was another riot like the airport riots.. Thats why I am think of flying direct to Phuket rather than BKK. I have been checking flights and they are actually cheaper anyways.

Phuket airport was shutdown a couple of days last time by the protesters. Go, be happy, pay attention and stay safe.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci