The political Situation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ali71

Ali71
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Ok I know the basics of the current conflict in Thailand but how serious is it? Could this end in a change of governement and change Thailand for good? Making it no longer the exciting holiday destination it is? If so where will you go to unwind

#2 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

check out bangkokpost dot com or thaivisa dot com. It's scary where it may be headed. Very sad.

#3 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

The worse case scenario is a bloody civil war funded by Thaksin's desire for revenge.

The best case scenario is that the average red shirt demonstrator realizes he was duped by the red shirt leaders and goes back home.

The Democrats are in the process of passing legislation that will actually help the rural poor - but the Red Shirt propaganda has slanted it as "vote buying". Interestingly enough when Thaksin simply handed out money he as hailed as a savior, but when the Democrats try it they are "evil".

The discussion on the forums are just that - speculation and guess work, just as I have done. I think the best we can do is pray that the worse case scenario does not come about.

#4 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

It's too bad that the compromise mooted last week fell apart - anyone know the details behind the collapse of negotiations?

It looks like the red shirt leadership wants martyrs.... :ang3: :ang3: :ang3:

#5 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

The red shirt leaders wanted immunity from the charges the gov't laid against them for the various clashes with the army and police. The gov't did not compromise.

The final straw was the red shirts demanded the deputy PM to be arrested and charged for murder (the loss of lives from the April 11 clashes), as they felt the deputy PM could get bailed and they wanted "equal" treatment.

The deputy PM did turn up to the DSI (Department of Special Investigations), but was not charged. So this did not satisfy the Red Shirt leaders who then declared they would not stop the demonstrations.

#6 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

I just hope there will be big fuss over nothing, and if something really happens that it will be over in few months. 17.9. is deadline to solve the crisis... im flying there as long as there is 1% chance my plane will land on BKK.

It was “funny” last night in negative way. I was talking with my only, she is from Korat where lots of F-4 Phantom II and AC-130 Spectre gunships were stationed during Vietnam War. She was telling me how Thai don’t fear war how they don’t even care about it and usual bragging sh..t you say if you don’t know nothing about the subject you are talking about… So I show her few pictures from Vietnam, at first she found it interesting and funny she even asked for more… but later when I show her some more graphic one’s and explained to her lots of this killings were made by airplanes based in her lovely Korat… suddenly she stopped smiling. And after I showed her some pictures from our war.. I had to stop. Fun was gone.

Thai with few exceptions live on some cloud of “blessed oblivion” and are either too young to remember or they just wasn’t told what happened few km from their border… or lately in the world. They think war is funny… yes funny. Let me see who will laugh the last if shit hits the fan. :loco:

BR

#7 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

All may be coming to a head soon.

Bangkok battle: Troops fire on rioting protesters

http://news.yahoo.co...wpphu-container[/u]

#8 Guest_CT8982_*

Guest_CT8982_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

3 dead & 45 injured in todays protesting

well thats what bbc said on the news just now.

CT ™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci