• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

Melbourne mum arrested over Thai bar 'prank'

A Melbourne mother-of-four is facing up to five years in a Thai prison after allegedly stealing a bar mat from an Aussie-theme bar in Phuket.

Annice Smoel, 36, of Montrose in Melbourne's outer east, spent four nights in a four-by-four-metre jail with three other inmates before being released on bail.

She was arrested by undercover police on May 3 after leaving the Aussie Bar.

She now faces up to five years in jail and told Radio 3AW she was scared she would not see her daughters - aged 6, 8, 11 and 12 - for years.

"I get very scared when I see police. I'm just trying to keep it together, so I can get home," she said.

Thai police say she had stolen a bar mat and put it in her handbag.

Ms Smoel told Radio 3AW this morning that she didn't do it.

She said a friend had confessed to police it was her - and there was video evidence proving her innocence.

"There was video evidence in the bar - I was nowhere near the handbag," she said.

"One of the girls involved went down to the police station on Sunday morning and confessed to the crime and apologised and they (Thai police) told her to go away, they didn't care.

"Apparently the police have 48 days to investigate the crime.

"It's a just a really slow and crazy system.''

Ms Smoel said police had confiscated her bag and she was having difficulty communicating with police and lawyers.

She said Australian consular officials have offered very little assistance.

She said she had spent two nights in a small cell.

"It's everything you read about, it's four metres by four metres, concrete slab, big bars," she said.

"The toilet makes you feel sick just to look at, no toilet paper.

"They would bring food twice a day, it was food from the street."

Ms Smoel, whose husband has flown to Thailand to be with her, said she now just wanted to get home to her children.

"I'm OK, I'm hanging in there, I don't feel like I can really deal with what's happened until I get home with my kids and I'm just trying to hang in there and do it one day at a time and get home.''
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#2 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Yes, this is front page news of course, in Phuket. The silly bitch might have got away with it if she hadnt verbally abused the arresting officers, as only aussie women can :roll: , and also subsequently the police-lieut Grissak.

Dave, at the aussie bar, was heartily sick of having his (expensive) bar mats stolen, especially as they are for sale at just 60Bt, and asked his "friendly" policeman to keep an eye on things one night. Thats when the proverbial manure hit the fan.

The subsequent publicity, and tv appearance, is doing his business the power of good. And of course, he is getting full support from other bar owners, who are getting pretty sick of their antics during "aussie season".

#3 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Jimbo

Thanks for the inside story. The original press story paints a picture of some poor innocent tourist being victimised by both a bar owner and the police.

Reality is that is is some fat, ignorant, loud mouthed, female, hellraising bitch who went on holiday without her kids/husband.

Maybe 2 days in the cooler here in Thailand will make her less rude and obnoxious - well until she has another session.

#4 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Thats exactly it Rossco, although apparently she's an angel until she has too much to drink.

#5 MDS

MDS
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Montrose :roll: What a hole.

May have to google some up dates to this one at some stage.

#6 larrylarry

larrylarry
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

OK stupid question of the day...whats a bar mat?

#7 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

Commonly found in bars, it's that little thing that sits between your glass and the table when you're not holding your drink. Often carrying an advertisment for the bar or a beverage.

In Thailand they're often little cloth ones that the servers bring with you drink and place under it.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#8 triat45

triat45
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Commonly found in bars, it's that little thing that sits between your glass and the table when you're not holding your drink. Often carrying an advertisment for the bar or a beverage.

In Thailand they're often little cloth ones that the servers bring with you drink and place under it.

DC .. not in this case. Your reference is to a drink coaster. At the venue in question, the bar mat is as per many other countries .. plastic backed, located on the main bar top, bar staff usually use it to sit drinks on after they have just been poured ... so there was a bit of deliberate effort involved to roll it up to get in her bag
Triat

#9 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

No worries triat, thanks for the correction dude :)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#10 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

it is no wonder that her ancestors got shipped over to oz :D

#11 triat45

triat45
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

it is no wonder that her ancestors got shipped over to oz :D

Oh ... so original, rev :lol:

Seriously, though - these days most Aussies take it as a matter of family pride if they can trace convicts in their family lineage!!
Triat

#12 scottiej23

scottiej23
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

That's true. My family originated in Scotland and England apparently, with the Australian branch first starting with transportation back in the day.

EDIT: Too true DC, what I wrote read very poorly.
Now 3.48% smarter, but 14.82% less interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci