Thailand Living (Moving) Suggestions ???

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_asian tall_*

Guest_asian tall_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

I planning to move to Thailand for a couple of years to live and experience a different culture (aka ladyboys). Does anyone here have any suggestions on where the best places to buy and live. Phuket for some reason is mentioned a lot. I would appreciate any suggestions. I would have a high income available for my several year time off from work.

#2 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

Surely the best option is to go to Thailand first as a tourist and visit as many different locations as you can.

Without knowing you it's impossible to say where would suit you, but I guess places worth including in your list would be:

Bangkok
Phuket
Chiang Mai
Samui
Krabi
Hua Hin
Surat Thani
Korat
Hat Yai

I guess the loctaion would also depend on whether you are looking to meet the LB of you dreams and live a quiet life, date around and mix with Thai society, or go on a full on butterflyfest.

If it's the latter maybe Pattaya is an option, but not if you value your health and sanity, two years would be far too long in crazy town :twisted:

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

As you've divulged almost nothing except the desire to do it, it's never going to be easy to give help as there isn't a one solution to solve all.

I'm not going to pose a series of questions because I can't be bothered to extract the info to help someone who hasn't got the wherewithal to post any information in the firstplace.

One thing you did hint at was 'buying'. That's the last thing I would ever do.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Kliome's advice is very sound. Location selection first - City versus Rural. Major town versus Holiday resort. In town or out of town.

Spend some time in Thailand and focus on speaking to foreign people who actually live here. Extract as much information as you can from their personal experiences. A holiday in Thailand is vastly different to living here!

Decide what you actually want to do when here - if your sole objective is to lust and indulge I do not think you will survive 2 years!

House purchase versus Rental - you should speak to the people that know.

A good Thai lawyer can explain the legal options and the subsequent pros and cons. Together with a realtor/agent you will get a better idea of what is available. If in Pattaya try Pattaya Properties - Free issue journal with many adverts for property and some excellent articles about living in Thailand.

Budget carefully - look what happened in the last 18 months with exchange rates! Do not forget medical insurance - a necessity for longer stays.

#5 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

House purchase versus Rental - you should speak to the people that know.

It doesn't need an expert to state the obvious.

The purchase costs of Thai property are equivalent to approx. 20+ years worth of rental payments, nevermind all the other land ownership pitfalls and issues or % of Thai ownership in apartment blocks and maintenance costs etc.. Plus being pinned to one single location having purchased and losing freedom to move around the Kingdom, then selling the property on if you want to move or get a bit of your money back. Buying doesn't bare thinking about.

Renting is pay a month up front and Robert's your mother's brother. Don't like it, boring location or there's some asshole next door, pay your utility bills and move out.

But as the OP failed to give any indication of anything, such as his age or whether he's even been before it's a waste of electrical impulses. Maybe he hasn't even given visas a second thought yet, who knows?!

:|

Meum cerebrum nocet

#6 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

DC - good to have varied opinions. Everybody's individual needs are different so anybody considering a relocation would be best to look at all alternatives - as with any project/decision.

You gave an position on accommodation but there are others. Not everyone likes a Volvo but many people buy them.

Note I suggested that he talk to 'experts', like lawyers and realtors, who actually live here and may indeed have alternative opinions/advice. The EXPat club meets on Sunday's and is a good network for those considering a move.

#7 ScottishLadyboyTerrorist

ScottishLadyboyTerrorist
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

asian tall, the lads are right with this. If seeking more defined advice it's better to give us more in depth knowledge as to what your wanteing from the 2 year trip and more about yourself also. As Kliome said mate, without knowing you it is hard to say much at all. Generalising is more the theme I'd expect.

Renting is by far the safest and sensible option and if you've never been to LOS before you'd really want to do all the tourist stuff and get more of a flavour first off before making any decision.. And I also agree about the visa issue you may have, you need to look into that for sure.

Hey Rossco, hope your still keeping the pecker up bud, see you all soon for a cold one. :-)

#8 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

Come on AT, give us the rundown with some details so we can maybe help or give you a few pointers. Lots of good people here know alot of good info about your desired destination.

Despite getting your butt bitten before we've all moved on, today is another day :)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#9 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Sounds to me like you want a butterflyfest. In that case, stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks in a few locations until you find somewhere you really want to stay. Then, as Dixon says, rent something. I fail to understand why anybody buys a place in Thailand - its too complicated and too risky!

#10 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Just wondering if there is any noticable impact on housing in Thailand at the moment?

With Credit Crunch/dire global economies - are the house prices flat or depreciating?

Last year the construction prices had almost doubled due to chinese demand on raw material... but my guess is the new houses and second hand house market has collapsed - anyone know?
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#11 Josh69

Josh69
  • Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Just wondering if there is any noticable impact on housing in Thailand at the moment?

With Credit Crunch/dire global economies - are the house prices flat or depreciating?

Last year the construction prices had almost doubled due to chinese demand on raw material... but my guess is the new houses and second hand house market has collapsed - anyone know?

Brit,

I won't give you a synthesis of the current market for new houses and second hand houses... Just an example.

I have a friend in Udon who bought a new house. He chose his house on a catalogue and asked the architect to make some modifications. In brief, the deal was settled in October 2007. Contruction: 2008 (the whole year).

Last January, i asked the architect how much would i pay now to get the same house. The answer was "Due to the constant rising price of material: increase : 25% minimum".

Is it representative of the current state of the market? I really couldn't tell!!!

#12 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

I've been specifically looking at condo's and have kept tabs in the areas I like around Jomtien........lo and behold the buggers actually put the prices up......despite global recession and a declining property market.....thats Thai thinking for you............ :roll:

AT.....having done a bit of research over the last year or so I have to agree with the lads on the forum and say to rent is best.....make a list of the places you want to look at....spend a week or so in a hotel there first if you've never been.........then rent as you see fit wherever takes your fancy...........good luck!

:wink:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci