cultural diferences.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#25 Hoot

Hoot
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:34 AM

When you mention IRA in the States (providing you weren't lead by the first question to know the ETA was a terrorist group) the first thing that comes to mind is Individual Retirement Account

That's interesting, I thought the IRA would be fairly well known in the states since there are so many people there of Irish decent.

You're right, I didn't mean to imply that the IRA wasn't well known in the US - they are. Just the way he phrased the question 'who knows what IRA means?' Could give you a couple of different responses depending the context of discussion and where you are located.

#26 sgt694u

sgt694u
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Good points, here is a funny explanation of IRA from a bloke in North Carolina (International Rugby Association) I about fell of my bar stool we he join me and my friends conversation.
As in marching...As in life.... We strive for perfection

#27 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

for the americans.
what exactly is "thanksgiving".?
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#28 *rob*

*rob*
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

@ anthony

I guess many of none Brits are know this two guys. The leader of the Sinn Fein party and the Owner of Harrods... ;-))

How about Dirk Nowitzki? Or Claudia Schiffer ? I bet some of the americans didnt know they are Germans.

#29 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

the main one is i hope every one knows the king of kings, the magnificent 7, Henrik Larsson :!:

#30 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:59 AM

While we're on the subject of American/British English translations, can an American explain to me the connotation of the one word response to a statement with the word "whatever"?

I get the impression it indicates they didn't know and are pretending not to care, or they don't have an answer. Either way it appears to be a weak or uninformed response, confirm please.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#31 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

"Up to you" - Same same "whatever"...

#32 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Just look at Kathryn Tate's "Am i bovered" girl. Same same as this. :lol:
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#33 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Just look at Kathryn Tate's "Am i bovered" girl. Same same as this. :lol:

Although I'd still like to hear an American person's take on the meaning I would think you're pretty close with that laptop. As it seems to have a "I don't care less" slant to it, with a hint of unable to answer with anything better, like an answer-all for dense people :|

It's not all a direct translation I'm after, also the kind of scenario or situation when it would used and why.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#34 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

Whatever is almost rude. Like " i donĀ“t care".
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#35 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

none of the Germans I know have heard of John Craven's Newsround

:lol:

#36 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

you know it is not the fact that the germans do not know what john cravens news round is. Imagen my disbelief :shock: when the last time i spoke to a german and he did not know what balamoray was, even after i said, it goes like, whats the story balamoray......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci