Writer held for 'insulting' Thai royals

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#13 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

I noticed a few folks saying they "didn't mind" standing up at the cinema. I find this an interesting turn of phrase, as it sounds as its looked at in the negative - that it's almost a hassle which after consideration is acceptable to them. I'm sure thats not their intent nor their meaning but I dont think its a good phrase to use.

I actually think its a good thing and shows respect for the kingdom itself.
Respect is something sadly lacking in modern western culture - and something which I think we as westerners could do well to learn from Thai's and other cultures. I think its a lost attribute with too many westerns from our various media saying that "respect should be earned".

I think respect should be afforded to those older than us; and persons who have been placed in positions of authority.

Respect in my opinon is something which can only be damaged by the individuals actions (something like innocent until proven guilty.... respected until proven otherwise - NOT only providing respect if it is somehow earned)

In my opinion its another good reason for enjoying thailand as a good place to stay and to be reverant about their cullture and their notion of of good society
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#14 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

...Back to the story itself.

No publicity is bad publicity - i'm sure that guy will now sell some books that otherwise would have rightly probably been confined to the bucket.

Being someone who lives in the country i constantly find it irritating that 'incomers - foreigners' wish to push boundaries. We are guests in their country and should confirm to their rules. Simple as that.

Regardless of your opinion of the rules - if you dont like the rules then stay in your own country. And ignorance is no excuse - if you don't know the rules and you are stupid enough to travel to countries that you dont understand the laws then expect to be put in prision.

I have absolutely no sympathy for such people.
Freedom of speach I think comes with an inheritant responsibiliy of the individual to be congincent of others feelings and not a licence to be disrespectful
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#15 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Well the guy broke the ethic of a country he was visiting - he takes the wrap and now wants sympathy - not from me.

I really get pissed off big time with people who do not take time to understand the culture of a country and its rules.

Then when they breach the ethics and cry - f..... pathetic. When someone gets caught for drug smuggling I am delighted - most countries ban smuggling so when the stupid dipshit gets caught I am deliriously happy. Think why they were doing - was it humanitarian aid - No he/she wanted to make money. Throw the idiot into local jail and let them serve their sentence.

What dose the West do - spends taxpayers money to buy them amnesty. What a crock.

Singapore used to still do public floggings for breaking the law. I reckon the West would see a reduction in Petty crime if they brought back some kind of humiliation - hell no just give them 4 star accomodation, SKY TV, regular meals. That is real punishment to match the crime.

#16 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well the guy broke the ethic of a country he was visiting - he takes the wrap and now wants sympathy - not from me.

I really get pissed off big time with people who do not take time to understand the culture of a country and its rules.

Then when they breach the ethics and cry - f..... pathetic. When someone gets caught for drug smuggling I am delighted - most countries ban smuggling so when the stupid dipshit gets caught I am deliriously happy. Think why they were doing - was it humanitarian aid - No he/she wanted to make money. Throw the idiot into local jail and let them serve their sentence.

What dose the West do - spends taxpayers money to buy them amnesty. What a crock.

Singapore used to still do public floggings for breaking the law. I reckon the West would see a reduction in Petty crime if they brought back some kind of humiliation - hell no just give them 4 star accomodation, SKY TV, regular meals. That is real punishment to match the crime.

What about the guy who threw a sho at George f.... W. Dear old George did not even understand the insult associated with the 'sole of a foot' - just wish it had been an Ice skate that cut the f.... jugular. This guy is now on trial for throwing a shoe at the world's worst terrorist.

#17 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I'm a strong supporter of cultures and beliefs being respected, especially by visitors (guests) from other countries, shame it doesn't happen in my own country.

But regarding this Australian writer; I do not believe that the offending quote was ever published or broadcast on TV, for fear of the producers/publishers becoming victims of the lese-majeste law themselves or causing further unnecassary upset to the King of Thailand and/or his people.

But how on Earth did one (of only 50 copies ever made) have one particular passage read by someone who understood or knew about the lese-majeste law? - What are the chances of that?! - Incredible!

I think only a Thai could ever truly understand the impact and upset even the merest suggestion of a breach of the lese-majeste law could invoke. Just being witness to the pride and love the Thai people have for their King can bring a tear to your eye, the sequence prior to any movie at the cinema is just one small example.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#18 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

But how on Earth did one (of only 50 copies ever made) have one particular passage read by someone who understood or knew about the lese-majeste law? - What are the chances of that?! - Incredible!

I would assume that an 'official' would have had to proof read anything that runs to print or publishing in Thailand, as well as pre-printed books being exported into Thailand.

This tends to be the process with a lot of media in Thailand. A friend of mine was making a documentary in Thailand a couple of years ago and there were so many absurd rules and regulations to over come, mostly pertaining to what could and couldn't be said and respect for the King/Buddha etc.. They had to pay for a Thai official to follow them around and pre-read any scripts and view all shot material.

With that said anything that was possibly offensive would have been flagged up immediately. The issue seems to be that despite this the writer wasn't arrested until 4 years after publication.

It seems very political, Australia and Thailand don't seem to have the best relationship.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#19 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with such rules; if you want to visit foreign country you have to play by their rules, as simple as that. We had our own rules and when it was time to change we fought our own war to change them and didn’t ask anyone to fight our wars.

I was in Bangkok cinema and when Thai Royal Anthem was played I immediately saw Thais looking at me and I stood up even before my neighbor did. We do not have such custom in my country to play anthems in cinema but also when I hear my anthem played on radio, TV ... I feel proud and if I can I stand up and pay respect to my country and when in my country I’m really offended when guests don’t at least be quiet when our anthem is played. Frankly being reservist in our army I would gladly give my life for my country anytime and even though we have cold, miserable weather and corrupt bastards of politicians I still love Slovenia more than.. hmm...everything. We waited for more than 1000 years to finally have our own country so it’s worth it.

I can understand feelings of Thais when some farang breaks their law and has some smart remarks on Royal Family and I have only deepest admiration towards Royal Family. Freedom of speech or not, there are just some things you can say -but have to be brave enough and take consequences of your actions. It is publicly known even in my country on totally opposite side of the world that you have to watch what you are talking about in Thailand and all my friends, some never even crossed Thai border, told me to watch it...

In any case, if you obey basic common sense rules written in every Lonely Planet Thailand you have no problem, just keep your mouth shut and pay respect to the ones that you ought to... and there are no problems. Frankly I had more problems in USA in Los Angeles when I crossed the street in front of police car on red light, I almost got arrested. 8)

BR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci