• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Can anyone make a recommendation on a reputable place to buy a name brand notebook computer in BKK? Or, if I should even consider buying one in LOS?

Mine is old and about to give up the ghost. As well, where I'm currently living, notebooks are overpriced compared to North America. But, I won't be heading there until Christmas and I'm not sure my old IBM (yes an IBM notebook, it's that old!) will make until then.

Advice please?

#2 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Thailand, in general isn't the best place to buy computers, as they tend to be a bit more expensive than other places.

If you're really up against the wall, in Bangkok go to the MBK Center. The have a huge electronics/computer area where you will be able to find something to suit you.

MBK is accessable from the BTS Skytrain.

Link is below.

http://www.mbk-cente...Profile/Pro.asp

Don't forget to negotiate on whatever you buy there, as there is a pretty good margin on computers!!!

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#3 porkchop

porkchop
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:14 AM

I don't know about MBK but i would have thought Pantip Plaza would be the place for all your computing needs

#4 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

I bought a sony vaio tx in an official Sony shop at Pantip Plaza, Bangkok. A mecca for electronics. I later learned that even when it´s an original product, the Thai market has 3rd class products compared to Europe and the US. No secret, this is the way the major brands want it.

The warranty is only good in Thailand. Sony europe won´t touch a product purchased in Asia..

I suggest you buy at home, it´s not that much of a price different either.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#5 porkchop

porkchop
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

That's interesting Sev7en, and i agree about the prices not that much difference,
I would prefer to buy at home, you know what you are getting

#6 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:22 AM

Thanks to porkchop, automorph, and sev7en! Guess I'll have to try to make this old puppy last till I go home at Christmas. Backup to portable hard drive, backup, backup, backup...., oh well should be doing it all the time regardless of the age of the computer.

#7 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:29 AM

Backup to portable hard drive, backup, backup, backup...., oh well should be doing it all the time regardless of the age of the computer.

So true. I don´t do it either, and it´s so stupid really.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#8 aktiv-passiv

aktiv-passiv
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

I do not waste time in LOS looking for (expensive) electronic equipment. It's better to buy original products here in Germany, they are as cheap as anywhere, but you can rely on the good service provided by all major computer companies.

And you do not have the risk of getting trouble with customs. Importing a notebook without paying additional taxes is illegal; nowadays they confiscate lots of iPhones and other hardware that were bought on shopping trips to $-Wonderland USA.

#9 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

If you travel for work and want a good small portable computer when going overseas i suggest a Netbook, either an acer aspire one, Dell mini 9 or my choice HP 2133

#10 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

definitely don't buy on the road, unless stuck, as warranties will not fully work. Certainly if HDD problems occur, warranty is only valid in the country og original purchase.
Lesson learned the hard way (No Pun intended) Since I carry an external drive as back up for all files
So many LB So Little Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci