Pattaya Tourism Falls by 30%

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

This should make for some interesting behaviour from some of our facourite Ice Head ladyboys. :roll:

Consternation as tourism figures plunge 30 percent

awittree Namwiwatsuk
The first three months of this year saw a worrying drop in the number of tourists to Pattaya, the arrivals having fallen by 30 percent, reports the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

TAT Pattaya director, Sub. Lt. Chaiwat Charoensuk

The figures refer collectively to Thai and foreign visitors, and much of the lack of local traffic can be attributed to the rising cost of gasoline and the cost of living in general.
Director of the TAT in Pattaya, Chaiwat Charoensuk, said that the figures for January to March were down by 30 percent, and that this trend was showing no improvement during the overall first six months of the year.
In addition to the decrease in Thai tourists, tourism from the European and Asian markets is also down, he said, including key markets such as Russia, Korea, China, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Chaiwat said that Phuket had been faring better than Pattaya, but that there were as yet no clear numbers for the entire six-month period.
He said that extensive overseas promotions at the giant trade shows had ensured Pattaya has a high profile. The city had been represented at ITB in Berlin in March, in May there had been a representation in Dubai, and in June in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, for the Chinese market.
Chaiwat said there were also various promotions to bring in tourists during the low season, such as the golfing event that involves 15 golf courses throughout Chonburi province.
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#2 Phantav

Phantav
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:49 AM

i hope this doesn't hurt the area to much before i get to take my first trip =(

#3 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

Laptop I would also wonder about the behaviour of desperate LB's . Last year I found the Low Season feeding frenzy very scary for a newbie .
January was not as busy as I expected it to be but as I had not been at that time before I could'nt really make a judgement on it.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#4 matchman

matchman
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

Its strange I keep hearing how bad it is this year, but to be honest from my limited perspective this year it doesnt seem as bad as last. I remember wandering around the soi 13's and literally watching bars close on a weekly basis last year when I lived there in the off season, I remember staring across at the Moulin Rouge from Club131 and not seeing a single customer go on many days.

This year on my trips I havent seen it quite as bad, and there seemed to be a few bars actually opening and a number that had closed last year had re-opened.

Laugh it is a little intimadating for the non-newbies when its off season they can get so aggresive trying to get a customer. 8)

#5 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

Maybe it's just me, but aside from the uptick in the occurrence of theft (out of desperation), I don't really mind the added attention that "low season" brings.

More available LB's at generally lower prices . . . what's not to like? True that the "action" around town is down and that energy isn't there that you feel on the street when it's busy, but I'm quite content creating my own energy, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

Besides, I'm with Matchman, as I didn't think it seemed THAT bad during my month.
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci