My 3 year Plan

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

Well, as I cant sleep, and in a bid to score some points by starting my own thread, I thought I might tell you fellow BM's about my 3 year plan, following some inspiration I found from reading Steviep's "New Life in LOS" thread.

Firstly, I really dont like living in the UK at the moment. Reasons? Fuel prices, housing prices, taxes, and the lack of LB's to name a few. So, with a recent career change, comes a exciting oppurtunity to escape the "Doom and Gloom" of old blighty, but stay relatively in touch with the important people there.

So, the plan goes like this:

Im starting work as Cabin Crew with a UK based, full Service airline in July, operating short haul flights around Europe. Great night stops, with maybe some European LB action along the way. Lovely jubbly. As soon as I join the company, I will add myself to the "50%" part time transfer list, effectively working 2 weeks a month. Great.

Next step, is to transfer to the long haul fleet, on my recently gained part time contract, operating maybe 1 or 2 flights a week, 2 weeks a month. Naturally bidding for flights to Bangkok. Super.

Then, buy/rent myself a pad in Thailand (probably Bangkok due to its ease of getting to just about anywhere in LOS, and back to the UK) Marvelous

Then, for that 2 weeks a month, live in Thailand, and then commute to UK using my Staff Travel at around £175rtn, most likely via Hong Kong or Tokyo (due to quieter loads) for my working weeks, staying with family, so no real rent to pay.

Timescale? Hopefully no more than 3 years, but its a large company, so probably going to be longer, but well worth the wait

Nice to have a sense of direction for once........ :D

#2 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

Sounds a great idea FatboyUK, make it happen! If you put your mind to it, you may be surprised how quickly your dream can become reality. Good luck.

#3 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

#4 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

Great plan Fatboy. It sounds well conceived and has a fairly likely chance of success.

Besides, personally it sounds WAY better than rice farming in Issan (no offense Stevie).

Good luck to you.

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

DELETED

#6 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:10 AM

but i went and looked for myself.

Fair play Stevie - not everyone would of given it a crack

Turn's, out, due to recent fuel problems etc in the Aviation world, the airline in question apparently are offering part time contracts to new entrants like me! Could be very interested, as my 3 year plan may of been cut down to my new "12 month" plan. :D

To think, this time next year I could be commuting from Thailand........ 8)

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

DELETED

#8 waltz

waltz
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:13 AM

Good luck man! Keep us posted ;D
"Improvise, Adapt n' Overcum"
- G n' Karl
I come from the land up yonder, where your dick FREEZES HARD.

#9 Aussi35

Aussi35
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

sounds like a great plan... i might just have to settle for a 2 week trip before the end of the year..

#10 rsraleigh

rsraleigh
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

From a point of view of somebody already living here I say .......... GO FOR IT!!! :) rewards will be amazing!

#11 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:10 AM

Well, as I cant sleep, and in a bid to score some points by starting my own thread, I thought I might tell you fellow BM's about my 3 year plan, following some inspiration I found from reading Steviep's "New Life in LOS" thread.

Firstly, I really dont like living in the UK at the moment. Reasons? Fuel prices, housing prices, taxes, and the lack of LB's to name a few. So, with a recent career change, comes a exciting oppurtunity to escape the "Doom and Gloom" of old blighty, but stay relatively in touch with the important people there.

So, the plan goes like this:

Im starting work as Cabin Crew with a UK based, full Service airline in July, operating short haul flights around Europe. Great night stops, with maybe some European LB action along the way. Lovely jubbly. As soon as I join the company, I will add myself to the "50%" part time transfer list, effectively working 2 weeks a month. Great.

Next step, is to transfer to the long haul fleet, on my recently gained part time contract, operating maybe 1 or 2 flights a week, 2 weeks a month. Naturally bidding for flights to Bangkok. Super.

Then, buy/rent myself a pad in Thailand (probably Bangkok due to its ease of getting to just about anywhere in LOS, and back to the UK) Marvelous

Then, for that 2 weeks a month, live in Thailand, and then commute to UK using my Staff Travel at around £175rtn, most likely via Hong Kong or Tokyo (due to quieter loads) for my working weeks, staying with family, so no real rent to pay.

Timescale? Hopefully no more than 3 years, but its a large company, so probably going to be longer, but well worth the wait

Nice to have a sense of direction for once........ :D

Sounds ideal except for one small fact that may cock up your plan - staff travel is sub load. Ask anyone who works for BA - you would not be considered as priority load and if you dont turn up for your shift, your going to lose your job. Unless your a pilot or senior management your priority is going to be right at the back of the queue. Given the routes you mention I can only assume someline like BA or Virgin - nobody else flies to these places (and Virgin does not fly to BKK even). if it is BA, you need to understand their loads - talk to a gate controller about how many people get offloaded in the peak season - staff travel is a total no no on the kangeroo routes in the winter - you will NOT get on.

Cheers
Mardhi

#12 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:13 AM

Sounds ideal except for one small fact that may cock up your plan - staff travel is sub load. Ask anyone who works for BA - you would not be considered as priority load and if you dont turn up for your shift, your going to lose your job. Unless your a pilot or senior management your priority is going to be right at the back of the queue. Given the routes you mention I can only assume someline like BA or Virgin - nobody else flies to these places (and Virgin does not fly to BKK even). if it is BA, you need to understand their loads - talk to a gate controller about how many people get offloaded in the peak season - staff travel is a total no no on the kangeroo routes in the winter - you will NOT get on

Duely noted, and I was aware of the loss of job side of things. I'm also aware that they are sub-load tickets, and my mates already doing the BKK run every 6 weeks are very accustomed to both Tokyo and Hong Kong airports as the best way of getting to BKK due to lighter loads. Once I work my way up the seniority list, it should become easier - hence the timescale of my plan. Direct to BKK is, for most of the year, and no go, because of the Kangaroo route passengers, but being flexible, and endorsing on airlines like Thai, EVA, JAL, Virgin, Cathay and even I believe Finnair, and being prepared to route via many airports, should through up atleast one seat I would of thought.

Once im in, I can really study the Staff Travel scheme in question, and make some informed decisions based on my findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci