Favorite Places to eat - Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#13 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

There is a Swiss restaurant in Soi Diamond (left hand side after limiraquai) very good food and great range with free salad and soup if you order a meal over 170 bht....believe it or not they have beetroot and real lettuce (not that purple & green crap) .....nice ambience as well.....cheers donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#14 Anthony_Mustang

Anthony_Mustang
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

And don't forget good old Foodland on Soi5 near Gulliver's in Bangkok.

Many a late night snack had there.

#15 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

When in Pattaya, I nearly always eat "street" and really prefer the street cafe's to full blown restaurants. That said, there are a couple of restaurants that I really enjoy and the food is outta sight. I'm good with the locations, but the names elude me.

Small outdoor restaurant along 2nd Road between Soi 7&8 (on the beach road side of the street). I ordered some Tom Yum and at the suggestion of my server, a really spicy seafood dish with tiger prawns, calamari, sweet mussels, peppers and the works. Just put this stuff over rice and add some hot chili paste and it was heaven.

Indian restaurant on Beach Road just South of of the Mike Shopping Center. The food was awesome and as good as what I’ve had in Mumbai or Bangalore. Keema Matter and Aloo Parathnata was to die for.

Small street cafe' on Soi 15, a short distance in from Walking Street (on the left). Everything was so good, but the deep fried whole fish and the "chinese noodles" (on the menu, but same same as chow fun) was excellent.

Good eating!!!

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#16 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

Pattaya Dining
Had a few nice meals at Shenanigans Irish Pub.

Seems to be a popular choice for expat forum members. :wink:

Now located in The Avenue shopping complex on Pattaya 2nd Road, virtually opposite Soi 13.

http://www.shenaniga...a.com/index.htm

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#17 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

I recommend the Scirocco Restaurant on top of the State Tower in Bangkok. Fantastic views over the city, high quality food and perfect service standards.

But very expensive, so if you just want to enjoy the view, have a drink at the bar there.

#18 coletrickle

coletrickle
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

as a englishman dining in thailand i allways seem to keep going back to one particular spot in pattaya . the pig and whistle on soi 8
superb english food also with a thai menu for your "date"
not nescessarily the cheapest place but food is superb .

leigh .
i swear to god i thought he was a girl :-)

#19 Hoot

Hoot
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

I always find that I either eat at the hotel or try out new restaurants whenever I make a trip looking for a good meal. I usually only come across a couple diamonds in the ruff each trip.

I know there is a lot of years of experience on the board and I'm curious what are some favorite restaurants to have dinner/lunch in BKK/Pattaya. Thai, Sports bars, Seafood, any options...anything but chains like Pizza Hut (though I may visit for the LB waitresses) BK, or KFC.

#20 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

Pattaya Dining
I am normally content to survive on Thai food, however more recently I've been dining at a range of international style restaurants, and have found the food generally to be very good, and the pricing particularly reasonable when compared with western prices.

Probably the most enjoyable meal I had this time round was at Mantra, located on Beach Rd, North of Soi 1, next to the Amari Orchid Resort which it's associated with.

There are actually seven separate kitchens in the place, enabling it to offer Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Western, Mediterranean, Charcoal Grill and Seafood on a single menu.

Not the sort of place you'd be dining every night, but the decor, ambience, service & menu are all remarkable.

http://www.mantra-pattaya.com/

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#21 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

Pattaya Dining
In Soi 13/1, a few doors down from La Bamba. on the other side of the street is a French Restaurant called Le Stroganoff, which serves up some excellent fare, at bargain prices.

Dined there with a group of board members on Rossco's recommendation, and enjoyed a three course meal for only 240 Baht.

Definitely worth a try !

Cheers
Koykaeng

#22 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

There is a Swiss restaurant in Soi Diamond (left hand side after limiraquai) very good food and great range with free salad and soup if you order a meal over 170 bht....believe it or not they have beetroot and real lettuce (not that purple & green crap) .....nice ambience as well.....cheers donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#23 Anthony_Mustang

Anthony_Mustang
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

And don't forget good old Foodland on Soi5 near Gulliver's in Bangkok.

Many a late night snack had there.

#24 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

When in Pattaya, I nearly always eat "street" and really prefer the street cafe's to full blown restaurants. That said, there are a couple of restaurants that I really enjoy and the food is outta sight. I'm good with the locations, but the names elude me.

Small outdoor restaurant along 2nd Road between Soi 7&8 (on the beach road side of the street). I ordered some Tom Yum and at the suggestion of my server, a really spicy seafood dish with tiger prawns, calamari, sweet mussels, peppers and the works. Just put this stuff over rice and add some hot chili paste and it was heaven.

Indian restaurant on Beach Road just South of of the Mike Shopping Center. The food was awesome and as good as what I’ve had in Mumbai or Bangalore. Keema Matter and Aloo Parathnata was to die for.

Small street cafe' on Soi 15, a short distance in from Walking Street (on the left). Everything was so good, but the deep fried whole fish and the "chinese noodles" (on the menu, but same same as chow fun) was excellent.

Good eating!!!

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci