Photo

Anyone ever rented a scooter/motorcycle in Pattaya??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pathway

pathway
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hello

Want to rent a scooter or motorcycle while in pattaya for a few days to check out some of the out of the way places. Has anyone rented bikes and where did you rent? what's the process to rent a scooter? how much does it cost? I know you can ge around on baht buses, but like to ride around like i do at home without the restriction of baht bus. Any suggestions welcomed. thanks
California (West Coast)

#2 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

Loads of places rent them out all along Beach Road and also many hotel staff members have moto's to hire.
I purchased my own which is covered up in a garage waiting for me, but from memory you can rent an automatic Yamaha Nouvo type for around 3000 per month or 150 Baht per day.
Certainly do not hire from someone who asks that you deposit your passport as surety and thoroughly inspect for damage and scratches before you sign the hire agreement because that is becoming a popular scam.

#3 pathway

pathway
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Loads of places rent them out all along Beach Road and also many hotel staff members have moto's to hire.
I purchased my own which is covered up in a garage waiting for me, but from memory you can rent an automatic Yamaha Nouvo type for around 3000 per month or 150 Baht per day.
Certainly do not hire from someone who asks that you deposit your passport as surety and thoroughly inspect for damage and scratches before you sign the hire agreement because that is becoming a popular scam.

Thanks alot Pat Tire.....your a wealth of information
California (West Coast)

#4 LB3048

LB3048
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

One point worth noting is that most travel insurance policies will not cover medical or damage repair costs if you are involved in an accident if you do not hold a motorcycle riders license. It is also a fact that the number one cause of tourists requiring medical care in South East Asian countries is involvement in motorcycle accidents. I have heard of a tourist who had a scooter accident and put the insurance claim through as a bicycle accident and got the payout.

Cheers
LB3048

#5 mhk7840

mhk7840
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Pathway,

From your avatar, I'm thinking that you’re an American. Just keep in mind that they drive on the opposite side of the street in Thailand. It can be very dangerous. I have thought about it a few times while I was there, but decided not to . Now, if you’re British or Australian, then no problem.
-Mike the American LB Hunter

#6 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

For renting scooters I always use the one outside the beer bar on 2nd Road. I forget the name of the beer bar, but it's next to soi 10, and opposite the entrance of soi honey inn (close to teh nasty Apex hotel)

The guy's name is Mark he never takes your passport and doens't even bother checking the bikes before or after, so no scam in sight. all the bikes are in good condition and are mianly the fatser automatics. It's 1,000 deposite and 200 a day, or 1,000 a week.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#7 pathway

pathway
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the info. Yeah have to remember that driving on the other side of the road part. Thanks All
California (West Coast)

#8 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:55 AM

Why even bother hiring a bike???? I know of many people including someobody who worked for me killed by some stupid idiot in a car while he was stationary on a bike at an intersection. sure you can hire a bike - by the way, the medical insurance is non existant - the guy that worked for me had a bill of 900,000baht for 3 days in hospital and the bike insurance was worth a total of 35,000 baht. Think very hard before you rent a bike - i have a 4l v8 car with 4 wheel drive here - I wonder why.....and i have 5,000,000 of 3rd person liability insurance. so when I go out drinking, I park the car and I get a baht bus.....

Life is cheap in Thailand baht busses are cheaper - maybe enough said.

Cheers
Mardhi

#9 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for all the info. Yeah have to remember that driving on the other side of the road part. Thanks All

Fortunately the thais drive on the right side of the road most of the time :D

Dave007...UK

#10 chopped

chopped
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

First question is can you ride in your own country? If not Thai is NOT the place to start. Not advisable to ride when drinking. I ride in Thai regularly but am very experienced rider. For insurance you need to be licensed in your country and i have also heard that it is also a legal requirement to have an international driver/rider's license in case you have an accident, do not know how true this is.
Would recommend contemplating bringing a helmet from home as the ones they give you would offer very little protection in an accident. Next problem in an accident is look at how the majority of farangs are dressed on bikes there. Even in a minor accident i think that you will lose a lot of skin.
Not trying to talk you out of it but beware of the many pit falls. Like i said i hire them most trips but when i go out drinking it is on the baht bus i go and i have been riding for more than 35 years.
Be safe and enjoy. :)

#11 chopped

chopped
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Sorry forgot to mention, for Pattaya all you need is a scooter, you will get through the traffic much easier and if go out and do get drunk, your company can nearly always take control on the way home. The big bikes are more expensive and a pain in the traffic.

#12 pathway

pathway
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info.
California (West Coast)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci