employment

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#25 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:01 AM

Rabbit[/url]"]ummmmmmmmmmmmm i have just started my teaching course.....

i am reading that english teachers earn 55000 to 75000 a month in thailand

i think that should be enough to live on

As Matchman says, that figure is way out, a Top University filed leader would be lucky to get close to that.

The start figure for a new teacher (with English as their native language/or equivalent standard), with less than a years experience is around 18,000bht to 22,000bht. If you are lucky there are some placements that go up to around 25,000 to 30,000bht but these are more competitive and you would need more teaching experience and highly respected qualification such as Cambridge CELTA or ESOL. I have noticed some teahcing jobs advertised in the Bangkok Post before getting closer to 50,000bht, but you would have to be teaching to a very high standard, it would be a very competitive to get, and I'm assuming it would be an incredibly demanding post. You';d also be expected to be able to communicate well in Thai for some of the higher paid jobs, and I'm sure with jobs over 35,000bht at universites and public schools, you'd be expected to be able to teach at least one otehr subject (in Thai)

Realistic teaching Salary
New teacher (0-1yrs experience) = 18,000 - 25,000
Good qualifications + 2-4yrs experience = 25,000 - 35,000
Well experienced and proven 5+yrs = 35,000 - 50,000

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#26 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:10 AM

i wish id read this before i posted the other threads.talk about shattering dreams :(

J-Austin
Keep the chin up though, it's still possible to have a life out there if you want it bad enough.
In my opinion the best way to enjoy Thaialnd is to only stay there 40-60% of the time.

It's better to put all your energy into making a good career in western country and be focussed on earning and saving.
You can easily survive on half of your earnings in most western countries if you are focussed and budget towards spend the second half of the years in Thailand.

The only difficult part is finding a job that will allow you to have so much time off.
This can be overcome in many many ways
By having a skill or trade that is always needed.
Working temps jobs, or contract work.
Being self employed or freelance.
Or basically been a good worker and having good contacts with with your employees.
there are many other ways.

Working and living in Thaialnd is actually seems like my worst nightmare at times, and I wouldn't even consider it unless it was a ridiculously well paying job by Thai standards.

The happiest farang I know in Thailand are the ones who do just this, while I find a lot of the Ex-Pats (Ex-westerners) living in Thaialnd don't really have the time, energy and enthusiasm to have as much fun over the space of the year. Ironically they spend their days a tuk tuk ride away from the action, but can't really 'holiday' in the same way visitors can.

#27 J-austin

J-austin
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

The only difficult part is finding a job that will allow you to have so much time off.

yeah i need to start doing labouring work again.gettin a forklift licence soon i hope so that could help over there :?
i wonder what sort of work a MC could get in bangkok :lol:

#28 bkklover

bkklover
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

more info on teaching jobs at www.ajarn.com

#29 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:11 AM

yeah i need to start doing labouring work again.gettin a forklift licence soon i hope so that could help over there :?
i wonder what sort of work a MC could get in bangkok :lol:

Yeah, nice to see a little more positivity!

I work as a writer and so I TRY to spend time writing when I'm out in Thailand, but it isn't always easy when you get distracted.

It's good if you have a job you can do 'on the road', even if it's a 2nd job or low paid. People who work for websites or internet businesses spring to mind.

There is also a post in this section about buying things in Thailand that you can sell for a good profit back home. Some people do this and even manage to recoup some of the money form their trip, but it can get a bit tricky and slightly dangerous if you start bringing back suitcases full of fake watches etc..

#30 southern rabbit

southern rabbit
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hi Southern Rabbit,

Not sure where you obtained the salary figure from, I suspect someone is being very optimistic when they quoted it. I've not much knowledge of the South of Thailand but can tell you that in the North Chiang Rai/Mai area thats not even close to the going rate.

As an example of Thai salaries my friend is a professor at Rajbat university and is senior his salary is 25000 baht per month. (He's Thai) The average salary for a graduate in Chiang Rai is 6000 Baht per month. (Unless good english then its higher.)

I have four English teacher friends in Chiang Rai, Two work with Hill Tribes, One works at the University and one at local schools. Three have the full certifcations obtained before entering Thailand none of them earn over 25000 baht a month. (I suspect the South is probably about 10000 Baht more per month) I can imagine you would earn more in Bangkok for example but the cost of living is higher. About the only place I could think you would earn that higher salary is at one of the private schools in the south and my guess is that getting a position their will be like getting blood out of a stone.

All of my friends in the North live like paupers, and the constant gripe is that Thailand pays the lowest salary in all of Asia for English teachers. (Because everyone seems to want to live there!) Now if you get certified and want to earn money then the country to try is South Korea which does pay considerably more. One of my friends heads there every 3 months and teaches English with the money they save they return to Thailand and subsidise there earnings. (They Teach the Hill tribes and love the people hence the reason they are prepared to continue doing this.)

It looks wonderful on paper to live in Thailand but the reality of obtaining a position in the country that pays enough money to allow you to live reasonably well by western standards are few and far between. English teachers can scrape by if they have the correct qualifications but do not expect to earn large amounts. If your young and can live more like a Thai then it can be a wonderful experience and teach you a great deal but dont expect the cash available to visit a LB very often. :( (Unless you meet one socially.)

Sorry to seem to put a damper on your expectations but as many posts on the employments topic mention from people living full-time in Thailand the reality of finding work and earning a good living are very rare.

yes well i might have to look else where are a job then......

maybe europe or the middle east as they pay better

i heard about a teacher that went to UAE to teach english frist year english he was making 70000US a year tax free...

#31 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:57 AM

yes well i might have to look else where are a job then......

maybe europe or the middle east as they pay better

i heard about a teacher that went to UAE to teach english frist year english he was making 70000US a year tax free...[/quote]

Someone, in fact I think it actually was Matchman, told em about a friend of his who was teaching in South Korea and making good money.

Korea seems to be the best place to head if you want to get into teaching. The market is incredibly strong for teachers, from what I understand you can earn around $2,000US per month, and the cost of living is similar to Thailand. from having a little look on the internet it seems that a lot of the companies bringing teachers over are legitimate and backed by governemnt. They also seem willing to take on more inexperienced teachers and the worst paying job I noticed was $1800US but included free accomodation. That's incredibly higher than anything you'd find in Thailand, and on that wage you should be able to live a a good lifestyle and save up enough for teh occassional trip to LOS.

#32 gray34

gray34
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

If your going to teach, Korea is the place to go. I taught in Korea myself for a couple years and was lucky enough to get a University job my second year there. The job gave me 4 months paid vacation. The salary was just over 2,000USD a month and included free housing. And what makes it better is the possibility or part time work. Part time work can pay from 25 to 50 USD an hour, this can help fund the vacations you take.
It may sound strange but you dont even need teaching qualifications to get a University job. Just being in the right place at the right time can get you a job. Experience definately helps though. Generally you need to start at a language institute first and work your way up.
Korea is also fairly cheap to live. Probably not quite as cheap as Thailand but still less expensive than western standards.
I've heard Taiwan can be fairly good for money as well, and it is closer to thailand. Would be interested in hearing about the situation there if anyone has worked there.

#33 pog1701

pog1701
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:28 AM

Guys,

Thanks for all this information, as I am a candidate for downsizing soon I need to get my TEFL cert (already have the degree and teacher training dip) I thought about teaching in the LOS (far away hills and all that) I see Korea is the best paid. So just a big thanks to you guys for keeping me centered due to the quality information posted.

Such a cool site to have threads like this.
Hey

#34 rsraleigh

rsraleigh
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

In my case they way I have for moving to Thailand was to join an international company, and they have an office here so I am relocated there.

It has worked very well, and actually my salary is really good... as it is truly an expat salary.... I guess in a few years if I am doing well this will be increased.

The thing is that I have skills that few people have and my industry is very very specialized (genetics) ... so it was all a matter of luck and work ...

Hope you find a nice way to come to live in Thailand! Best Luck!

#35 Cian

Cian
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:42 AM

On a related note, does anyone have any idea how much a C-list or D-list international DJ or performer (I do both DJ and live PA) would get for a booking, and for a monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly residency there? For clubs and one-offs.

#36 Transtastic01

Transtastic01
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

I'm no expert so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish!

For those people who want to move over to Thailand for the ''extra curricular'' activities why not move over to a neighboring country that has a better level of pay?

That way you earn enough money to live and could easily make the trip into Thailand when you fancy a bit of fun games :)
He who dares rodders!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci