employment

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 billxxx

billxxx
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

can anyone provide information about employment opportunities for westerners in Thailand?

#2 LB-69

LB-69
  • Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

Actually its only few options:

1. English teacher
2. Assigmnet from the multinational corporation to BKK office
3. Open your own biz or work remotely
4. If you GOD DAMN LUCKY you can get job in Thailand that is non of the above

#3 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

In real terms - ZERO

Only being posted from a multi-national company is the only real option.
And its a very very difficult option to get from your respecitve company

Note: Everyone thinks staying in Thailand is cheap - ITS NOT !
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#4 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Brit - please expand on that comment

#5 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

Ok...

1. English Teacher - not well paid by western standards.. not well respected as a farang as english teacher.

2. Assignment - I know heaps of people who work in multi national companies who have local offices in Thailand; and its almost impossible to get a re-assignment. Typcially they take locals. I tried that route for 5 years myself

3. Open your own business and work remotely - Thats what i have - and its VERY difficult to get customers. In my experience of the guys I know 90% of business start ups fail or are only scraping even...
I'd like to get one example of a roaring sucess. I'm about the only one (without be egotistcal who has been successful - but that is because I have a niche skill).

4. A job in Thailand - hmmmmmm.... I've got 8 friends who would get a job tomorrow in the UK but cannot even get to interview stage in Thailand.
One guy has been applying for 6 years now without success.

So..... genuinely - the chances of securing a job are ZERO.

But there is an alternative. And that is to get your company to contract with a Thai company and visit frequently to build relationship and manage that vendor.
That is a structure I have set up in my company and i have international clientelle who travel very frequently to thailand to oversee software development jobs executed by my employees.
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#6 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

...and about Thailand not being cheap...

If you want to maintain somewhat of the standard you are familiar with in the west then it is likely to be somewhat of the same price.

As a tourist you see cheap food and cheap taxis - but as an expat having stayed here now for almost 6 years it is not a 'cheap option'.

OK... its not London prices...

but it is not as cheap to say as first thought. The bills soon mount up and although labour is cheap - you need 2 or 3 times the staff to accomplish the same task as you would in the UK.

I know I speak with backing on this point as almost every expat i've talked with says the same.

#7 exPat

exPat
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:03 AM

What are the possibilities of investment in the tourism trade, ie: a boarding house or vacation rental? I assume there would be some restrictions on purchases of property by foreigners in Thailand. There are no such restrictions in Belize, and investment in tourism has worked well for me there. It would be a nice turn if the same were possible in Thailand.

#8 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

Plenty of opportunities in the tourist trade with guest houses etc however, in the tourist areas the market is incredibly saturated because in Pattaya alone there are over a thousand places to stay.
I know what I would want to do in order to earn money and remain in Thailand all year round 8) Trouble is I would get arrested for it :(

#9 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Pat's right. Too much foreigners already here without particular skills.
The tourist trade is a non-starter. Too much competition. Absolutely no ROI (return on investment).

I would recommend looking at some of the emerging technology sectors. If you've money to invest look at some of the smaller companies providing mobile phone software or other software services.

You will find lots of information also at the BOI (Thailand Board of Investors).

Good luck in your investment - but becareful you treat it as a genuine investment and not just a 'reason' for being in Thailand.

If you need a good reason - pm me!

#10 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

The teaching option is visable, but you have to think about why you are doing it and why you want to live in Thailand.

If you are some one who discovered Thaialnd through it's sex industry and fell in love with a bar girl(s) or are attracted to living close to or within that lifestyle then you need a serious rethink. You won't get a great deal of free time, you will probably have to work 6 days a week to earn enough to survive, and you can forget sitting in a bar in your bermudas talking to a girl name Lon.

If you are genuine and think you would make a good teahcer and find it at least slightly rewarding, then you first need to get the qualifications and experience before you enter Thailand, and then look for a suitable job. If you try getting your qualifications or experience in Thailand then you'll end up being ripped off and recieve some mickey mouse certificate written on the back fo a Mike Shopping Mall reciept. you might be able to get a short term contract at some suspect langugae school, but you could end up getting shipped out once the school collapses and an inspector starts eyeing up your qualifications/reciept.

You also need to be realistic about your earnings, you are probably not going to earn enough to survive, so you'll want to have a good lump of savings that you will slowly eat into each month to keep up some level of comfort in your daily living. Oh, and you wont be earning enough to support a 'partner' unless you bring hefty savings along with you (also need to put some aside for your monthly std check up).

I read in January that they are now clamping down in farang teachers in Thailand, partcularly in and around the major sex industry areas, and as the year goes on they are looking at toughing up the system and being a lot tougher on potential teachers. They are slowly weeding out the not so genuine teahers who either lack credible teaching experience gained before entering Thaialnd, recognised and appropriate teaching qualifications, and education to at least degree level. A lot of Ex-pats will soon be finding themselves on the plane home.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#11 J-austin

J-austin
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:26 AM

i wish id read this before i posted the other threads.talk about shattering dreams :(

#12 southern rabbit

southern rabbit
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmm i have just started my teaching course.....

i am reading that english teachers earn 55000 to 75000 a month in thailand

i think that should be enough to live on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci