Moving to Thailand

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:32 AM

Hi guys. I wonder if anybody has any useful hints and tips for me: I am shortly moving to Thailand having decided that the UK is economically bleeding me to death, coupled with my love of LBs of course! I plan to have a few days fun in Pattaya before moving on to Phuket. I have seen various sites adverising TEFL courses. There are 2 such organisations on Phuket
Has anybody taken these courses? They cost betwwen £500 and £1000 - are they worth it? Do they lead to meaningful employment?
I dont want to spend my resources if they are a waste of time and money. I had thought of doing the usual Brit thing of opening a bar. But i reckon i would get bored of that fairly quickly, and anyway it would be bad form to keep screwing the staff (who would inevitably be lbs !).Apart from the worthies who run this site what do you expats do to earn a crust?

#2 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

Start reading this forum first...lots of good advice there.

http://www.thaivisa....dex.php?act=idx

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#3 bigtom1983

bigtom1983
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

A friend of mine done TELF and he is working in South Korea this last two years, I even thought of doing it myself but you need a university degree certificate and TEFL certificate with you for Thailand immigration regulations.

#4 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:56 AM

Hi guys. I wonder if anybody has any useful hints and tips for me: I am shortly moving to Thailand having decided that the UK is economically bleeding me to death, coupled with my love of LBs of course! I plan to have a few days fun in Pattaya before moving on to Phuket. I have seen various sites adverising TEFL courses. There are 2 such organisations on Phuket
Has anybody taken these courses? They cost betwwen £500 and £1000 - are they worth it? Do they lead to meaningful employment?
I dont want to spend my resources if they are a waste of time and money. I had thought of doing the usual Brit thing of opening a bar. But i reckon i would get bored of that fairly quickly, and anyway it would be bad form to keep screwing the staff (who would inevitably be lbs !).Apart from the worthies who run this site what do you expats do to earn a crust?

Hi Jimbo,

I understand where you're coming from mate, the UK definately has a high suckage factor.

Maybe take a chance and give operating a bar a try, you never know, it might work out.

Re: screwing your own staff, you're right there dude... bad form, don't do it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

:mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#5 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Lol, Dixon, where did you find this old thread? Brings back memories!
Guess I`ll try the bar thing then!

#6 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

:lol: Fabulous find there DC....Jimbo, your success is so deserved and I look forward to meeting you in six or seven weeks.

#7 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

Good to hear you`re coming here Pentire, look forward to meeting you. As you can gather from many of my posts, my main aim is to wean some BMs off spending all their time in Patts. This is such a beautiful island and can still offer the serious mongerer plenty of opportunities. Its good that some of you well respected BMs are making it part of your holiday.

#8 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

im thinking,
is jimbo taking the piss here.?
till i saw the date.
quality. :D

what did you decide to do jimbo?
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#9 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

Hey Jim.

Good to see you on many occasions. Bkk was pure mongering :)

If Patong was closer to Bkk, i´d be there instead of Pattaya.

I´m coming back too, i need to cash in on my lifetime win beating Pat in pool :D Try get some yourself, will ya, it´s on me :D I told her i would pass it on.

I saw you golf thread, not sure if i´m there though, besides it really is too damn hot playing golf in Thailand.

Laters
Rick
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#10 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

i had intended to take the TEFL course, and try teaching. But I arrived Oct 4th 2006, and on Oct 1st the authorities decided that foreign teachers must have a minimum BA degree! I dont.
So that decided my fate - i bought into a LB bar, as you know. The rest is history. No regrets.

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Nice when things work out, you have single handedly put Phuket back on the map for LB hunters Jim.

Well done for taking a chance and making the effort :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 Hoot

Hoot
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

No kidding....going from thinking about teaching English to owning Cocktails and Dreams. Bravo. :D

BTW... you mentioned you would probably get tired of owning a bar pretty quick, how's that going :D From the pics it looks like you are holding up quite well....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci