Photo

Best place to stay for one month in Phuket?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrislund

chrislund
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Hi guys!

I just had a quick look at the hotel section, but I wonder... Since I stay for a whole month (from july 11th to the 8th of august)  maybe I am better off looking for an apartment instead of a hotel?

Anyway, I have been to Pattaya a lot and I love it... I have used to stay at Queen Victoria Hotel in the middle of Soi 6 and I love the ladyboy scene there. This summer I thought I would try Phuket, where I have only been once about 17 years ago or so... so, I am a newie there.

If anyone could give me some good suggestions about where to stay, hotel or apartment, I appreciate it.

While I have enjoyed Queen Victoria and Soi 6 in Patts, a lot earlier, I feel like getting something a bit more quiet now. Close to the action, but still quiet... If that is possible? :-)

The thing is... I really do go to Thailand for sex and sunshine really... I am not a big party animal... I do not even drink much alcohol... I enjoy going to the gym, the pool and the beaches etch....

I am considering getting a place a bit outside the "action" and just renting a schooter for when I want to go in to Bangla road or something like that.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

In my opinion that is a tall order for Patong Beach. Others may disagree, but I think all of Patong is noisy.

That said, it has a lot to choose from in types of accommodation. It really depends on your budget and tastes.

My advice is to get on Google maps and study Patong.

As for renting a motorbike, it is the best way to get around Phuket, but that comes with a strong caveat about safety.

If you've never ridden one before, learning in Patong can be overwhelming. They are easy enough to operate, but getting used to all the other bikes, cars, busses and trucks zipping around you is sensory overload at first.

Riding a motorbike home from Bangala after a night of drinking is insane.

As for places that are quite but not too far. Check out some of the guesthouses and hotels on the south end of Nanai Road (closest to Simon Cabaret). That end of Nanai bends back toward the beach were it terminates and it is a quick motorbike ride to the beach in the daytime.

Another interesting area to check out is an area on the north end of Patong called Kalima. The beach is rocky there, but it has some nice places to rent.

If your budget allows it, also check out some of the cliffside places on the mountain road between Karon and Patong. They are simply beautiful and there are a couple of small coves with sandy beaches that you can climb down to.

Give me a better idea of your budget and what type of room you are looking for. I live in Phuket and I'll give you my opinion, but for it to be truly helpful, I need to be on the same page as you in terms of personal tastes.

What I consider to be a flop house, might be a palace in your eyes or vice versa. Once we calibrate that, I can help point you to some places.

#3 chrislund

chrislund
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:34 AM

Hi Spyder Rocket!

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

I guess most of Patong is fairly noisy, but I am open to living perhaps near Kata Beach or Karon Beach also. Somewhere a bit more quiet and idyllic, but still reasonably close to the ladyboy action. Maybe Patong is the only place to be for a ladyboy hunter? :-) I assume it is possible to get a tuktuk or motorbike taxi from Kata or Karon if I want to go to Patong?

Certainly, I agree with you regarding motorbikes. You have to be super careful with the traffic there. My first trip to Thailand was Phuket in 2000, and I am sure it has changed a lot. Since then I have been to Pattaya many times. We drove motorbikes back then, but we avoided the most busy places with the craziest traffic. We used them more for sightseeing around the island. Anyway, I am no big drinker nor a big party animal, so I would avoid driving near Bangla at nighttime (when it is most busy), and certainly I would never drink and drive there :-)

I guess my budget for accomodation is maximum 1000 usd for the whole month - or thereabouts. I am not a snobbish person - but I have stayed in some rather dingy places in Pattaya in my time, and I feel too old for that now (I am 41). I guess I am the kind of guy who likes the "value for money" kind of deal. If the place is reasonably good standard, no joiner-fee, and a pool or a good beach nearby... A few good restaurants nearby.... I think I will be a happy camper. 

I think there are many places that can fit the bill... Its just that I have booked my flight for a whole month, and sometimes you can get a very good deal if you stay somewhere a whole month. 

I will take your tip and do more searches on google maps. Also, your suggestion about the cliffside places between Karon and Patong, sound kind of nice. If you have the names of these guesthouses/hotels I will check them out for sure.

Thanks again - great forum!

#4 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

For sheer numbers Patong has most of Phuket's LBs. A greater variety exists there, but really they are scattered all over the island.

Check out this thread. https://ladyboyforum...-for-lb-lovers/

It is a running commentary about exploring off-the-beaten track in Phuket.

I'm a bit pressed for time now, but will send you the names of a few hotels and guest houses to check out later.

#5 chrislund

chrislund
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hi again,

Ok, thanks - I look forward to more info then.

I will check out that thread - super!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci