• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Tisto

Tisto
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

Hello gents.

I am suppose to fly out to BKK this wednesday for my holidays (and stay in BKK 5 days)

I`m assuming most here have heard about the recent tragic bomb attack.

Just got me thinking. Is it really wise traveling to BKK now?

What would you do? hoping a more "seasoned solider" would give his though on this?

(Im still under 30 and have only been in Thailand a few times) Traveling alone.

#2 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:16 AM

One bombs went up, another one has been defused. Security in Bangkok will be at its maximum during the next days or weeks. Many tourists and mongers will flee, because they have an irrational reaction, hence this will be the best time to visit Bangkok.

• Kioji likes this

Nick Bullseye

#3 Tisto

Tisto
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:30 AM

Security will probably be at a high level in the near future indeed.

my booked hotel is 1,5km away. It does make me ponder a bit.

#4 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:49 AM

Security will probably at a high level in the near future indeed.

Do you think a shrapnel from the initial detonation will need days or weeks to fly 1,5km to your hotel?

Nick Bullseye

#5 Tisto

Tisto
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

I am more concerned about where or will it happen again rather than shrapnes flying 1.5km.

Just hope they find out some more about the group & who did this so it`s easier to know what to stear away from.

#6 yung havok

yung havok
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

Bangkok could be burning to the ground and id still take my chances walking down suhkumvit with 3000 baht and a satchel of kamagra
  • dixon cox, Surin Nix and jfrank like this

#7 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

If you give in, the terrorists win. You will be as safe there as anywhere. Security, as said before, will be high therefore safer.

• Kioji likes this

#8 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

I agree with the posts from Nick Bullseye, yung havok and jaybee111. I was in Bangkok during the red shirts riots a few years ago. The key is to be alert, stay away from crowds, avoid the usual tourist popular spots, large malls etc.

It will likely be more safe to be visiting Thailand as you have planned as security will be at its maximum. Red light districts are not usual targets, as the crowds are not big enough in the eyes of these evil doers.

• jaybee111 likes this

:cnd:

#9 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

Security will probably be at a high level in the near future indeed.

Ok for you to ponder , but certainly don't be frightened . Have a great holiday :) .

#10 matchman

matchman
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

Well I had lots of baht leftover from last week so decided this afternoon I'm going to head back for the weekend. Sod um their not putting me off from visiting Los.. So bkk here I come on Friday .. Expect to see me in chaos around 9 and then onwards to nana 😜
Great Minds Think Alike / Fools Seldom Differ!

#11 ccc.tom

ccc.tom
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:04 PM

Well, can't give u any advice on your own life, however, I live here and don't feel any particular danger in Bkk. Partly because I normally will not go to tourist spots.

If you want to be safer, you may stay away from Nana and sukhumvit, and go to soi cowboy, or use Craigslist or thaifriendly to arrange girls to your room.

Enjoys.

#12 wardmoob

wardmoob
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

I agree with the posts from Nick Bullseye, yung havok and jaybee111. I was in Bangkok during the red shirts riots a few years ago. The key is to be alert, stay away from crowds, avoid the usual tourist popular spots, large malls etc.

It will likely be more safe to be visiting Thailand as you have planned as security will be at its maximum. Red light districts are not usual targets, as the crowds are not big enough in the eyes of these evil doers.

for those in the know, the red shirt yellow shirt drinking card game soop sip fest was just that, u just mind your own and do what you do and its typical thai sabi sabi'ness and not much else.

I wouldn't be staying in bkk, id be landing, enjoying the  noise, stank filthy air and very charming people for such a big city and heading south like I always did.

in reality with so many  church shooting, park shootings, this that n the other which seem to be happening weekly I guess unfortuenly bkk got its turn.

I mean it wasn't some mohamedian it was some dude who's pick is already  online.

this medium season is def gonna very quiet and peacefull should no more bombs go off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci