Rash after oil massage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 14241

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hello all.

I've been a member of the forum for several years but this is my first or second post.
I don't post because
1. although I've been living in the States for 12 years now, writing in English isn't something I feel comfortable with,
2. and I feel like I have almost nothing to contribute. I found myself not into ladyboys as much as I thought when I joined the forum while preparing my first trip to Thailand. I occasionally barfine posties merely for their looks but seldom do preops - only couple times for last 6-7 years. I do visit ladyboy bars whenever in Bangkok to have a beer or two while chatting in my native language (Bkk obsessions' manager is fluent in Korean) but that's it. By the way, yes I'm Korean and I apologize on behalf of my fellow Koreans for driving up the price. :) Anyways, my trips hardly produce any useful information to the forum (well, that's how I feel at least).

However, I am a regular reader of the forum as many posts here are so helpful to plan my trips. You know, lb friendly hotels are always guest friendly hotels. :D I remember Rxpharm's post (which I am still trying to find this morning) regarding using pharmacy in Thailand was very handy when I had a heavy cough in Bangkok few years back. Thank you all posters for your informative posts.

I just arrived Bangkok yesterday and I have a rash on my (inner) thighs after went for a oil massage. It's not itching or painful, not spreading to other parts of my body, and not getting worse - it just seems like every pore of the area gets red. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I wonder if I need to get some anti histamine or some antibiotics (maybe the oil was somehow tainted?).

Thanks for any responses.

#2 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi 14241

I think you will find the solution is quite simple.

Cure - buy some hydrocortizone based cream to bang the rash on the head

Future - Continue to get massages but make sure they dont use a petroleum based type of oil or baby oil which most of them use.

Those oils block your pores and force any bacteria on your skin to stay there and create infection, they are also very heating oils so can exacerbate any heat rash type tendancies.

Make sure you go a place that has plant based proper massage oils or take along your own good quality oil - expeller pressed (not chemically extracted) coconut oil is a good easily available choice which allows your skin to breathe and is cooling.

• Moo Yung and dixon cox like this

#3 14241

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Thank you so much. I knew I can get helpful advice fast here. Have a great day!

#4 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Great advice Strobriand, RX would be proud  :D

I wouldn't count out going to the pharmacy and simply showing them the rash. Thai pharmacists sometimes get a bad rep, but there are some good ones out there.

14241, don't be a stranger on the forum, your English is better than most native speakers we have here, and we'd enjoy hearing your a variety of opinions, and I'm sure you have a unique angle on things.

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#5 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

1. ...  writing in English isn't something I feel comfortable with,
2. ... and I feel like I have almost nothing to contribute.

Hi 14241  :)

I can't help you with your problem, but that's a great response already from strobriand.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on a few extracts from your opening post.

Firstly, your English is outstanding. Very well written indeed and I'd never have thought otherwise if you hadn't made the point. In fact, it is easily on a par with many fellow English writers and in some cases far better. Please do not give the language issue a second thought.

Secondly, I would be fascinated to know how, as a fellow Asian, you are treated among the Thais. If you frequent certain Thai establishments where farang do too, do you notice yourself receiving different treatment? .. I would think so. I believe there is a stigma attached to Thais who mingle with farang (westerners) which is absent when mingling with fellow Asians.

I know several bars, particularly around Phnom Penh, Cambodia, for example, which are geared towards Japanese and Korean customers and those from other more affluent Asian countries, as opposed to westerners. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what some of those venues and your own experiences with them are like.

These are just a few examples of why your views and observations would not only be very welcome, but also very interesting too  :)  

• JackG likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#6 14241

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Moo Yung and Dixon for kind words.

I never thought the way Thais treat Asians/Koreans can be interesting to others.

Mostly I don't feel any difference. At restaurants or shops, I never have been treated differently and I don't know it is even possible to be treated differently. If I feel any differences, that's when I purchase services, and services I purchase in Thailand is.. you know.

During my first and maybe second visit to Thailand, I wondered why I wasn't treated as a farang because I thought the meaning of the word was "foreigner". One time in Pattaya, a walking street gogo bar ("Coyote ugly"or something like that, now closed I believe) didn't let me in saying "no Thai". Such instance made me think that I wasn't treated as a farang because I look like Thai. Back then I often visit soapy places on Ratchadapisek, and I was just glad they didn't charge me farang surcharges on top of their already hefty price tags. That was my take on the issue until Nick at obsession told me Asians are not included in farang.

Khn keahli ("Korean") - this is the only thai phrase other than basic greetings I can speak. I learned it not to be blocked at bars (never happened again) but these days I only use it not to be confused as a Japanese. Though 2 countries have historical issues not yet settled, I don't have hard feelings towards individuals from Japan, and I'm not gonna loose any sleep if a bar girl thinks I am from Mars. I just don't want to pay Japanese price which is even higher than Korean price.

I think I am better accepted by Thais at most establishments. For example, I was offered free service (paid barfine only) once, free treatment (GG/posties allowed back door entry) few times, and free upgrade (ST to LT) several times.
The reasons can be
1. You know, Asians have smaller endowments and therefore easier for girls to deal with. Now I'm pretty sure this was the reason I wasn't charged surcharges at soapies. :)

2. Koreans (and fellow northeast Asians) are generous than farangs. This personally annoys a lot as the quote I get is always ridiculous - something like 6k for LT. I have to show them my California license and say "face Korean, brain American" with the most American-like accent I can sound. That helps a bit, but I'm still paying more than farangs do, I believe. Heck, those free services might not be free actually.

3. Popularity of Korean culture among young Thais. For these 4-5 years, younger Thais fell in love with K-pop and Korean movies/tv shows, and bar girls/ladyboys are not different. They just love to talk about Korean singers and actors. This sometimes translates into genuine (though limited) affection, I think.

Hope this was somewhat interesting.
  • JackG and Spyder Rocket like this

#7 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Very interesting.

While we all visit many of the same places the bar scenes in Thailand can clearly be a very different experience depending on your ethnicity, or look.

There are several places in Pattaya and Bangkok I'd like to visit but I know I'd be less welcome than other guests, charged extra or just not let in. I'm talking about many of the massage parlours in Ratchada and Petchaburi roads, the Japanese style karaoke bars around Silom and mid sukhumvit, and even the  sex shows around North and Central Pattaya. Maybe I'm not missing anything but intrigue often gets the better of me.

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#8 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Sort of related to the OP. A few years ago in Phnom Penh I went to a massage place and was given the choice of oil or skin lotion. I chose the lotion and have been hooked ever since. I don't have to take two showers trying to get the oil off my skin and the lotion does wonders for this old man's skin. So now I take my own lotion into the massage places and skip the oil.   

xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#9 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

14241, strobriand's advice was spot on. Very good of you to share about your experiences! Also as others have written, your English is very good, nothing to be shy about!

I am also happy to hear that you found one of my posts helpful - that's one of the goals when I post information. Was it this post about "Real Pharmacy" in Thailand? http://ladyboyforum.... pharmacy fake

:cnd:

#10 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

@rxpharm

I've also made use of a couple of your post over the years.

If you ever have the time to consolidate some of your old posts on navigating Thai pharmacies and general health advice for Thailand, I think many would be grateful.

I also lurked for along time before deciding to participate, so believe me, people are making use of your knowledge, even if you don't get always get feedback.

A much belated thank you for arming me with info on buying the right kind of antibiotics.

Thanks Again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci