Toronto's Bob Ford

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

If this guy can be the mayor of a major city, I should be able to get elected as mayor some place too.

Watching that video, I could not help but wonder if our friend Boomdraw is a Canuck.

• ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#2 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

So, this guy returns from rehab today and gives a rambling apology and is going back to work as mayor of Toronto.

Before going to rehab: he was filmed smoking crack, twice, appeared in front of the news media drunk off his ass, numerous times, was accused of sexual harassment, and numerous other forms of misconduct in office.

The news analysts claim he is still running a strong second in the polls for a re-election bid this fall.

WTF?

How is that possible?
  • ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#3 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

It's because you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. It's quite similar to politics anywhere in the world.

In the US it puzzles me how the Republican Tea Party branch can be so popular, when all they do is oppose things, and drive the rest of the Republican party further right, making compromise to achieve any kind of reasonable legislation next to impossible.

• thailover57 and Surin Nix like this

:cnd:

#4 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

It's because you can fool some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. It's quite similar to politics anywhere in the world.

In the US it puzzles me how the Republican Tea Party branch can be so popular, when all they do is oppose things, and drive the rest of the Republican party further right, making compromise to achieve any kind of reasonable legislation next to impossible.

I admittedly know little about the dynamics of Canadian politics, and even less about political landscape of Toronto. However, just set that aside for the moment.

Viewing Rob Ford from strictly a public relations (PR) perspective is what baffles me. He shit all over every single PR principal for extracting one's self from a personal failure as a public official, and is not only still standing, but has political capital.

If I look at him against the template of what I think a successful politician should be, it becomes even more bizarre.

He is a lousy public speaker, morbidly obese, in the midst of an enormous substance abuse problem, and reported to be abusive to members of his staff.

Why anyone would want a leader with those issues swirling around them is beyond me.

As far as the Tea Party enjoying popularity despite being obstructionist, I can understand that, even though I don't agree with their policies. They believe that the country is being harmed by a leftist/liberal agenda and they want to put a stop to it. They are playing to a particular demographic that shares their views; I can wrap my brain around that.

With the personal problems Rob Ford is dealing with, I don't think I would put him in charge of a poutine cart, much less a city the size of Toronto.

#5 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Toronto is a similar microcosm to the US - there are some people who don't want any more gov't spending and feel the "left" is not capable of good governance (although there has been plenty of benefits under moderate left policies), Rob Ford tapped into this in his first term as mayor, but it was mostly smoke and mirrors. He does have some hard core support, but that won't be enough for him to win the next mayoral election. The first time around he captured some disaffected centrists to win the election.

His hard core supporters are willing to overlook the blatantly obvious drawbacks and mistakes (quite similar to Tea Party supporters), and say that's right Rob, go get 'em.

:cnd:

#6 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Toronto is a similar microcosm to the US - there are some people who don't want any more gov't spending and feel the "left" is not capable of good governance (although there has been plenty of benefits under moderate left policies), Rob Ford tapped into this in his first term as mayor, but it was mostly smoke and mirrors. He does have some hard core support, but that won't be enough for him to win the next mayoral election. The first time around he captured some disaffected centrists to win the election.

His hard core supporters are willing to overlook the blatantly obvious drawbacks and mistakes (quite similar to Tea Party supporters), and say that's right Rob, go get 'em.

If my memory serves me correctly, you are a Canadian, right?

I think there must be a segment of Rob Ford supporters who back him on the basis of his resemblance to the late Chris Farley.

That clip of him walking into the camera is almost a perfect imitation of Chris Farley, hilarious.

#7 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

The football pass is also reminiscent of Chris Farley

#8 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Here is some classic Chris Farley for reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci