The grass is greener .....or is it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FRONT242

FRONT242
  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

The grass is greener on the other side or is it?
Lived/worked in BKK for 5 years but am currently back in Cda. Been back for 2years.
On my recent trip (vacation) back to BKK, I did the networking thing to maintain relationships and connections. During one of these sessions I was introduced to a GM of a company and was invited to his office. Basically I was offered an "opportunity" with the compensation being the same of what I am receieving in Cda.
It definitely is interesting and that $$ would make for a great living in LOS (not so good in TO).
When the offer was made I was itching to jump on it. However, I remembered when my time was up in Thailand the last time around, I was actually looking forward to leaving. It was getting to be too much dealing with the locals and even farangs especially in a work environment. Being there on vacation is ALOT different then living and working there.
So I would like to ask the expats/long stay BMs to give me their opinion. Not on if I should or not but on their current feelings about BKK and their thoughts on the near future. (I have a bad feeling of impending disaster when a certain person "moves on").

Thanks.

#2 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I've not worked in Asia only the Middle East so i can only offer my 2 cents as an expat. My first stint was in Oman which I loved, the people and the country were great...unfortunately my company were the pits. After 2 years I had to get away from this shower but as I was leaving I resolved to come back.

6 months later I was back in another ME country which was supposed to be much stricter but I in fact had a fantastic time and I've been there ever since.

Work is work, it pays the bills, feeds the kids, gets you nice things...we put up with it, sometimes you really enjoy your job and on other occasions it really sucks.

To have the opportunity to do it in LoS though...is something else. You've been there before so you know the pitfalls and the type of people to avoid...You would have to do your mongering somewhere else though!

Himself on the other hand is a biggie...though I suspect the powers that be have it all worked out, I've been through a few successions, wars etc. so despite the turmoil work must go on...and thats why you are there.

Good luck with your decision mate. :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#3 trousersnake

trousersnake
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

I don't think it would be a bad place to be at all. If you work in LOS and are not dependant on a EURO / USD / GBP pension It could be worth being around.

I think the "thing that dare not speak its name" is overplayed. It may even eventually help the country to grow up a little.

A post I made elsewhere. This is my opinion of Thailand.

Thailand, in contrast to many countries in the West, is making great strides economically. Today Thailand has been upgraded to BBB+ by Ratings Agency Fitch and is now in a much better position than many European countries. This shows how the markets are rewarding Thailand for its recent performance. Despite the costs of the flooding and the volatile political system growth has remained robust in recent years and Thailand has a Debt to GDP ratio most countries in the West can only dream of! As Thailand continues to move from being a developing to a developed country, the middle class will continue to grow, and prices will go up so pensioners living in Thailand will no longer be able to afford enjoying a comfortable retirement in the land of the smiles. Thailand's growth is also going to open up many new opportunities for its young and the number of girls who will look to the bars will inevitably plummet. If you are a naughty old geezer who likes to spend his time hunting bargirls in Bkk I guess it's time to realise it will soon be game over. Enjoy it while you can.

Fitch Ratings-Hong Kong-08 March 2013: Fitch Ratings has upgraded Thailand's Long-Term Foreign Currency Issuer Default Rating (IDR) to 'BBB+' from 'BBB'. The Outlook is Stable. The Long-Term Local Currency IDR has been affirmed at 'A-' with a Stable Outlook. The Short-term Foreign Currency IDR is upgraded to 'F2' from 'F3'. The Country Ceiling is upgraded to 'A-' from 'BBB+'.
Key Rating Drivers
The upgrade of Thailand's sovereign ratings reflects the following factors:
-Thailand's economy has been resilient to repeated shocks, including heavy flooding in Q411, underpinned by a flexible monetary and exchange-rate policy framework. The 2008-2012 average GDP growth rate of 2.9% exceeds the medians for the 'BBB' and 'A' ranges of 2.4% and 2.5% respectively. The volatility of growth is in line with the 'BBB' median. The Bank of Thailand has sustained consumer price inflation in the low single digits for more than a decade and the record of price stability compares favourably with 'BBB' peers, enhancing the capacity of the economy to absorb shocks.
-Fitch has revised its assessment of the risks to policy predictability and the investment environment from political and social tensions. The investment rate has accelerated in recent years. The government led by Yingluck Shinawatra has consolidated its position and has faced no serious extra-legal challenges since its election in July 2011.
-Thailand's external finances continue to be a rating strength. The economy was a net external creditor to the tune of 42% of GDP at end-2012. Its net foreign asset position was worth 45% of GDP at end-2012, well above the 'BBB' median of 4%. These large external buffers are a key support for the rating.
-Thailand's ratings are supported by low gross general government indebtedness (30% of GDP at end-fiscal 2012). Fitch expects that the budget will remain consistent with the broader public debt to GDP ratio remaining below 50% despite a planned increase in infrastructure spending.
-The government has made material progress in recent years in improving the structure of government debt. Average maturity and duration of government debt have increased to 7.9 and 5.4 years respectively in 2012 from 5.7 and 4.8 years respectively in 2008. The foreign currency denominated share has fallen to just 1.5% in 2012 from 20% in 2000.
-While fiscal solvency remains strong, an expected rise in contingent liabilities arising from projected increases in broader public indebtedness leans against an upgrade of the Local Currency IDR at this time, narrowing the differential with the Foreign Currency IDR to one notch.
-The primary constraints on the ratings are relatively low average income reflecting low productivity and value-added activity; relatively high private sector indebtedness; and diminished but still present social and political tensions.
Rating Sensitivities
The main factors that could lead to positive rating action, individually or collectively, are:
-Sustained growth without emergence of imbalances that narrow the income and development gap with the 'A' range. However, Fitch expects upwards pressure from this source is only likely to come to bear beyond the average two-year Outlook horizon.
-A more rapid stabilisation of public debt ratios than Fitch currently expects.
The main factors that could lead to negative rating action, individually or collectively, are:
-Signs of overheating in the economy, such as a sharp rise in inflation, credit growth or the current account deficit, without adequate corrective policy action, that leads to a reassessment by Fitch of the robustness of the macroeconomic and especially monetary policy framework.
-Resurgent political and social tensions on a scale sufficient to have a material impact on Thailand's economic and financial stability.
Key Assumptions
The ratings and Outlooks are sensitive to a number of assumptions. The upgrade is premised on the assumption that the Thai authorities maintain the country's orientation towards participation in the global economy. Fitch assumes the authorities maintain a policy framework likely to be conducive to sustainable growth over the medium- to long-term, rather than pursuing short-term growth at the expense of higher economic volatility over time.
The ratings incorporate an assumption that Thailand is not hit by a severe economic or financial shock sufficient to cause a significant contraction in GDP and trigger stress in the financial system. Fitch assumes that there is no materialisation of severe risks to global financial stability that could impact open emerging-market economies like Thailand, such as a breakup of the euro zone or a severe economic crisis in China.
The ratings assume that there is no significant escalation in regional inter-state tensions including Thailand's own border dispute with Cambodia and the ongoing territorial dispute between China and Japan.
HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

#4 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thailand is not that great, the people are not that great and the hookers are just hookers, there great women to you if your a kid or a young man, there decent ladies if your still in your mid twenties but if your over 30 then you've grasped what asia largely isn't atleast in Thailand. to me its warm, ocean, food and girls, and in that order, the local people are idiots who don't want to learn and could very well not be able to even if they tried, the work place sucks, bkk is a stagnant hot box hell hole of filth, if u want to live around air quality like that go right ahead. I have no prob finding a smile in Thailand but it isn't one that I have to keep up with rather one I have to create, maintain and at time fake just like any other place. Cheap dumb public skanks get old fast, generally after about 2 hours, after that what do u have? even if u wanted to make a change to other ladies what do u got? Thailand is just another place, young girls today are easy from east to west north to south, thai food isn't worth the plane ride, its actually a tough disicison to make, to move to Thailand, its not a no brainer were your upon hearing the question like ''NO WAY U HAVE tO GO, YOULL NEVER STOP SMILING, YOUR FACE WILL HURT'', in reality the place has its headaches to go with it.

#5 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

boomdraw said,

the local people are idiots who don't want to learn and could very well not be able to even if they tried

I'm sure you could teach them on one of your many, many trips there if you really try.
Actually living the dream.

#6 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

trg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci