Router question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Okay, a techie question. I purchase a monthly card at my apartment for wi-fi access. It comes with a username and password that must be entered each time you log on. I'd like to be able to have more than one device at a time without buying a second monthly card -the GF likes to check FB and her email at times while I'm on the network, so I thought a router would work. Talked to many stores at Tukcom who couldn't really understand what I was trying to do. Finally found a store with an Indian gent who told me what I was trying to do would not work because the Internet providers put software in place to prevent multiple devices on one IP address. He said if I only had to enter a password, it would work. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate?

Or maybe there's another solution...?
  • Abramovich, Piordcgzwb and mugSciemi like this
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

So, if I understand how this card works, you have to access the Internet Service Provider via the wifi reception of the signal with your laptop and then logon?

If this is the case your girlfriend may be able to use the same username and logon to access the internet. It depends on how the company has configured the access. If that doesn't work, there is another way.

If your laptop has Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you can set it up for internet sharing. Look up the help file in windows and it will give you the instructions on how to do this.

A router will not work.

#3 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm using Windows 7 so I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci