Bank Accounts

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#13 lostchild

lostchild
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thank you one and all will travel in May for 3 days transfer from Myanmar, but should return for Dec-Feb, so will try and set up an account then.

#14 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I opened a Bangkok Bank account a few years ago only on a tourist visa. I was introduced to the branch by a Thai who had accounts there, no problem, gave my address as their home address, never had any mail sent that I know of.

I don't know anyone that important. :D

As Anthony said the big advantage is that you just send all you holiday spends in one transfer,then no fees in Thailand. For me the transfer fee is AUD10.oo no need for a local BKK Bank branch just do via your own bank's internet banking.

I should be so lucky. I would be thrilled with $10 online transfers. I have two bank accounts. One charges US$40 and allows online transfers. The other charges $50 and the request can only be submitted in writing. I did find one online U.S. bank that only charges $20 but strangely, for an online bank, requires the request in writing. :shrug: I spent the $40 to wire the money over for this trip. But I ran short and had to do an ATM pull this morning.

If I'm on a long trip I usually need to pull money as it comes into my bank once a month and obviously that needs it be done on the Internet. Perhaps someone can suggest a cheaper/better U.S. bank?
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#15 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'll be interested to hear any suggestions regarding the US Jay. I've found moving MY OWN MONEY out of my BoA account to be ridiculously cumbersome and expensive. The little banking that I still do back home with BoA is incredibly antiquated AND a huge hassle. Citibank in Hongkong is a little bit better, but still nowhere as convenient as online banking here with a state-run bank, in a "Communist" country, using a "soft" currency. :loco:

Like many of the extremely annoying things one experiences back at home in the States, I suspect a lot of this has to do with 9/11 and the "War on Terror".

#16 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

For UK based people Bangkok Bank has a London Branch- used to tx funds through them. Mainly use the K-bank account now though and branches springing up quicker than 7-11s! I just get money tx'd across now and get a better rate on the exchange than bringing in cash. I wasn't aware that they had re-started the accident insurance- handy as it used to have a m/c taxi coverage clause. I might get it again to keep the no claims up on BUPA Thailand.

#17 phuket4

phuket4
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

I opened Kasikorn in March of 2011 with passport and copy of paid Hotel receipt. Made a swift code transfer from US Bank that cost $50 dollars. Holiday again in November 2011 and opened a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya down near Soi 6 on 2nd Rd; all I needed was proof of where I was staying (electric bill or water bill or receipt for room) and my pass port. Takes $3 to send money from Bank of America to Bangkok bank branch in New York City. Both Pattaya banks did like seeing that I had a local cell phone.

#18 paulyb77

paulyb77
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

:D Just got back from Kasikorn branch in Central Shopping and can confirm very easy to open account.In fact took longer waiting to be seen,30 minutes,than to process account,25 minutes.
I supplied Passport,hotel card,thai tel no.Paid 500 for ATM card and deposited 1000.
I then went outside to ATM machine,put in card and pin number supplied,and then changed to my own pin.
Although I don't expect to return to Thailand for a couple of years or so,it will be easier to transfer money from UK to account prior to return rather than bring a big wedge of cash with me.

Attached Files

#19 Jarhead1

Jarhead1
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Batman,

But one cannot do it online?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Hal

How hard is it to open a Bank Account in thailand, what docs are required ? etc. Planning a long stay 3-4 months late 2012 early 2013 and feel that to transfer funds to local bank and them ATM easier than large sums travellers Chqs or Extremely large ATM currency conversion fees.

it seems that you just need your passport and then go into kasikorn bank ( the one with the green signs) if you dont succed in the first...just try the next should be quite easy to get an account:-)

#20 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

You cannot open a bank account online in LOS - you have do it in person, making sure you have the proper documents as discussed in the previous posts.

#21 admirer35

admirer35
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Opened a BKK Bank account last Nov when in Pat....30 day tourist visa/passport, receipts from guesthouse covering the last week...no problemo. Now have ATM visa card with only 1000 tb deposited. :rock:

Back there in March for what could be long term & will transfer funds before I go.

#22 silvia_berluscono

silvia_berluscono
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

hmmm was wondering if i could link my kasikorn bank to paypal 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci