Seeking recommendations and info

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm starting to formulate a plan for my next trip to LOS (I know, you're all totally shocked, right?) and would like to get some recommendations for hotels , means of travel, etc.

I'm thinking a 3 week stay possibly late 2012 early 2013, 1-2 days/nights in BKK on the front and back end and the rest split between Pattaya and Phuket. My first trip, I stayed exclusively in BKK and got the flight and hotel as a package thru Expedia.

Do most of you book your hotel ahead or just wing it once you get there? I know this forum already has many recommendations for hotels but if you would, let me know here in this thread which ones you like or which ones to avoid, even just mention the name and then I can search and see what others have said about it. I'd appreciate it.

I know Patts is just a 2 hour or so bus ride from BKK but I assume the preferred means to travel to Phuket is flying. Is it best to fly out of BKK or can a flight be made from Patts? Pros & Cons?

I'm hoping to see more of the country this time...I feel bad I didn't see much more than Soi 3 and Nana Plaza last time. :blush: So presumably, I will want to spend the majority of my time on scenic Phuket? Thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

#2 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hi,
What I usually do is book hotels separately so I have more choices.
Over the years, been at GRand President for years soi 11, till they started ripping me off. Changed not to the Dynasty Hotel Group.
Usually stay at Dynasty Grande Soi 6, and when go to Patts, if you stay at Dynasty also, transfer (1 Way) is Free. Or move to Pattaya Bay Resort (Just personal tastes)
From Patts to Phuket, Fly for sure. I know there are flights out of U Tapao (Probably just a few hence Higher Prices??) than from BKK Airport.
You got to calculate the trade in Taxi to Subarn Airport to really compare the difference.
Can't help you in Phuket, been years haven't been.
I'm sure others will be able to fill in more details.
Did you check the section on travel or has it become too populated to the point where it is confusing?
So many LB So Little Time

#3 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Woof, just what I am looking for. You've given me some names to search on to see some other opinions. What did you mean by "transfer (1 way) is free"?

I get confused sometimes when looking thru the Travel section because it isn't always clear (to me anyway) whether they're talking about Patts, or Phuket or even BKK.

#4 hyflex

hyflex
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

if you stay at dynasty in bankok and agree to stay in dynasty in patts they have shuttle to take you there.( transfer) i would recomend for a short trip stay at dynasty in bkk. 100yards down the road from nana. then dynasty inn pattaya soi 13 in patts. its centered nicely for someone new to the area to learn your way around, (not dynasty resort which is in jomtien) rooms arent 5 star but not slummy at all. comparable to holiday inn in the states cheap close to the action and after all your not living in the hotel your just sleeping and fu#*&ng there. my personal selling point for a hotel is the bathroom if its clean and nice i can let alot of other stuff slide, dynasty has clean ones. i will be there the end of this month and i will take some pics and info for trip report for to look at and add it to your considerations.

#5 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Sounds great hyflex. Looks like Dynasty is the way to go if you are just spending a day or two in each location, which is pretty much my plan. I'm not all that fussy about the room, I like it to be clean but it doesn't have to be fancy. Sounds like it's in a good location in each city, like you said. I'll look forward to your trip report.

#6 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

bangkokair.com uses U-Tapao airport (closer to Pattaya) to/from Phuket. If you want to skip a trip to the BKK airport. It's a smaller prop plane but an OK journey.

At the top of this section there are pinned threads with discussions of guest friendly hotels in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket. I usually book ahead during high season. At the very least book a couple of days until you get the lay of the land and maybe decide to change hotels. But if you read the pinned threads you likely will get a good idea about your hotels.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#7 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Here is the Propre Link to the Dynasty.
The One you want in BKK are either the Dynasty Inn right on Soi 4 (About 200 Yards from NEP) and in Pattaya Last one on the top row.
Read through each sites, and pick your room.
Somewhere in there they mention the transportation to Patts.
Samcro on this site stayed at the Dynasty Inn soi 4, and loves the "New Section" whilst I need water, hence the Dynasty Grande, but sun only hits between 11AM and 3 PM
Pattaya there is a Swimming Pool (More like a Giant Bathtub) but the food is really average. THere's Plenty to go by within walking distance
Enjoy.
www.dynastyinn.com
So many LB So Little Time

#8 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Excellent suggestions, xyzzy and Woof. Gives me a good start to start looking. I'll spend some time checking out the pinned threads.

Thanks!

jaybee

#9 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have a small list of tried and tested hotels I personally use for BKK and Pattaya, and I always book my hotel direct, although for a few nights in BKK it's sometimes worth checking for promos on agoda.

Flights: I have 5 online travel sites I use which I search with a little flexibility to find the best possible price with a prefered airline, trying to stick within my frequent flyer program when possible. Spreading your searches across a few different sites, such as ebookers, opodo, lastminute, kayak, and being flexible with your dates will get you a good price.

Hotels: I email the hotels direct a few months before I head out to see who can get me the best rate. There is usually some room to barter and get a good price. Unless I'm on a long stay I prefer to have my accommodation booked in advance, but I 've never had to pay a deposit - so far.

For the period of time you are talking about (close to peak season) I would definitely sort my flight and accomm 3 or so months ahead, and wouldn't wing it.

To avoid hassel I wouldn't use the bus systems when I have heavy luggage, especially when taxis through companies such as Mr T and PT taxi are so cheap. FWIW I tend to use the minibus system more than the buses when travelling light - it's usually cheaper, fast and in more convinient drop off points.

bangkokair.com uses U-Tapao airport (closer to Pattaya) to/from Phuket. If you want to skip a trip to the BKK airport. It's a smaller prop plane but an OK journey.

I've never done this journey but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. On average the flights from UTP to HKT take 20 mins longer because of distance and smaller craft, you also have to consider it's a 30+ min drive from Pattaya. The flights also cost you around 1000 bht+ extra than say an Air Asia flight from BKK to HTK.

Essentiall every way I do the math these UTP flights end up costing you more, saving you very little time, if any, and giving you less choice (ie airline, flight times), and with less comfort. Just my 2ps worth.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#10 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks kliome. Great advice.

For the period of time you are talking about (close to peak season) I would definitely sort my flight and accomm 3 or so months ahead, and wouldn't wing it.

Would you do the same in Pattaya and Phuket or especially Pattaya and Phuket? I was hoping I wouldn't have to plan things out that much in detail. We all know what happens to plans in LOS. :D Never having been to Patts or Phuket, I may want to stay longer or shorter. BTW, what is considered "peak season"? I can be flexible with the time frame...just need several months to build up my money cache, if you know what I mean.

#11 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Peak season is high season for tourists visiting LOS, generally Oct/Nov to March or so.

The last few years problems have really kept the peak season much lower than usual, but in regular peak season it can be quite difficult to find reasonably priced hotels. If you plan on visiting during this period, you need to plan in advance for your accommodations.

#12 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Would you do the same in Pattaya and Phuket or especially Pattaya and Phuket?

For Phuket and Pattaya, and to an extent BKK, for Mid Dec to mid Jan it pays to book early. Even with the high/peak seasons not always as busy as expected, the better rooms/hotels/deals go early.

For Xmas period I'd personally try to firm up my plans and have a flight and hotel booked by the end of September.

Maybe I am a bit pernickerty and like to be too organised, I have friends who are the opposite and do nothing but wing it, even at peak seasons, but there are times when they have to settle for a below par room, or end up losing half a day trawling around hotels, hungover, asking for room in the inn. I can't be dealing with that.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci