Frustration with gyms in Bangkok

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 farangbah

farangbah
  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Has anyone found success finding a gym in Bangkok (preferably the Sukhumvit area)? Because I sure haven't...

I am sooo sick of the mentality in places like California WOW. I'm not there to apply for a marriage license for a foreign national, I just wanna break a sweat. This interview process like a job interview with someone who knows less about fitness than I do, asking deeply personal questions, with no command of the language to have any sort of actual health conversation to begin with is irritating to say the least.

I had had enough of that crap in Pattaya and swore not to go there again. But they had a location near me in BKK, and their website had a free 7-day pass, so I relented. Another 30-minute interview with two meatheads that think they know marketing and I'm finally informed that my 7-day pass is for people with work permits only.

Because they have convenient locations and seem to be the only game in my area (and because I'm a glutton for punishment), I called another location today to inquire about the cost of a one week pass. The guy claimed to have only one month and one year memberships, but that I should come in and talk about it anyway, and was very interested in me and my name.

Clark Hatch gyms? Quoted me 11,000bt for one week. I've spent too much time researching this on the web and coming up with nothing.

Sorry to rant, but one of the main reasons I came to settle in BKK for a while was to get my health sorted (at reasonable prices) and I can't even find a goddamned gym.

Does anyone know of a simple no-frills no-bullshit gym in central BKK? Any information leading to one and the next protein shake's on me... :D

Thanks for reading.

#2 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

The whole gym membership thing is a mental trap and money sink. I haven't belonged to a gym in over 10 years and I'm just as fat and out of shape as back then. :D

But seriously, just go out and run every day, get a bike and some free weights for home and you'll be better off than commuting to and from a gym, going thru the whole locker room rigamarole... I found belonging to a gym was just another way to procrastinate.

#3 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

There is a gym at the Landmark Hotel that offers memberships and also one at Bumrungrad Hospital which is hardly ever used. Its not some 6* showy place but I believe it does what it says on the tin and little else. I'd be checking those two out and also True fitness - talk to Fah, from GB, she works at one of them.

#4 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

settle in BKK for a while was to get my health sorted

Interesting choice of health resort. Is it the fresh air? :D
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#5 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

... talk to Fah, from GB, she works at one of them.

Ideal, he can kill two birds with one stone :mrgreen:

.. is that Fah of the deep voice variety? .. love it 8)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#6 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

i only go to gyms in asia to be honest, im in fantastic shape without any need to workout around mirror athelets and there floor sweep whey sludge protein or witness all the idiots or smell them with there freshy tide soap washed clothes with all the great liver poisens it contians mix with sweat n oil n be reabsorbed into there blood stream as they watch bill fucking oreilly on 37 tvs while walking without walking on a treadmill. in asia i go to the best resort i can find, pay to use there gym n sauana for the month and do so without shoes on, i turn the air con off, basically i can work out in peace.. my adivce just go to resorts, that way u can most likely work out with at the most 2 other people in the gym and that will only be about 10 percent of the time.

its great that western folks are into the fintess gym craze, as a part native mostly euro blooded man myself its nice that in 60 more years white people have a chance for the first time in history to be white people who when in there second childhood aka old age dont shit there pants n need a baby crib but may actually still have working faculties both physical n mental n have something to contribute to society via the wisdom of old age minus the independs.

youd be healtheir moving out of bkk to the south or an island n not working out at all in comparrison, the reason why people like to eat chalk( look at your foods its in most of em) n smell soot n fumes is because the nano bacteria in are bodies build homes out of it, remove the pollution remove the critters, remove the critters n you remove being able to tolerate chalk n soot and u find yourself on a island doing 375 baht bangtimes while listening to this=

#7 coletrickle

coletrickle
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

i think i understood about 30% of above post 8)
i swear to god i thought he was a girl :-)

#8 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

I work out to relieve the stress and keep in shape and it is a must on the road. If you are near NEP, the JW Marriott has the best hotel gym I have been in. See if they will let you work out there for a few days and pay.

#9 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

The only people who get a good deal out of yearly memberships at gyms are tight cnuts like me who insist on getting their money's worth and going nearly every day, other's normally fade away after a few weeks and that's where the places make the cash. 11k baht for a week- that's outrageous. I pay just over B15k per year!! Thats for gym, sauna and pool.

Makes me laugh when the tattooed steriod monkey gym queens come in the place and start slinging big weights around when the little fat blokes with the full wallets are who the street girls are after, lol. Most of these guys are so roided up they probably can't get it up any way :lol:

#10 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Cracker has it right.

You can pick up a bench and some reasonably priced free weights which will let you keep the upper and lower torso in shape and more importantly assist in maintaining good back strength.

A reasonable road bike and a turbo trainer will get the cardio stuff going.
8)

Otherwise a medium sized hotel might be your best bet if you get friendly with the staff.
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#11 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

i think i understood about 30% of above post 8)

That is typical of what his writes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#12 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

If you take the trouble to read Boomdraws post then read it again you'll find it contains some insightful information.

It took me a while but now he's one of my favourite reads. 8)
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci