Favourite Apps or gadgets!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

My new i-pad is earning it's keep, it can never be a replacement for your PC but it's a pretty good extension of one.

I've never played any game on a PC (too old!) but now find myself addicted to Angry Birds...cleared the free one so paid for the next version which I'm working my way through!

Kindle books is great and I uploaded 1000 books on there which were given to me, this only took 1mb of space, wow!

My absolute fave though just has to be Zinio which allows me to download all the latest magazines into my library to browse at my leisure...what an environmentally friendly solution that is to someone who usually buys 5-6 mags per month!

Any favourite apps out there for i-phone or i-pad?
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#2 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

If you like Angry Birds, give Fragger a shot. I cleared the free one and bought the full version for my iPhone.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#3 redeye

redeye
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I agree that the iPad is great though I cant find much of a business use for it apart from emails it's great for web browsing and following this forum as the colour rendition is A1. (just make sure you clear your history when finished if there are others in the house)
I haven't tried zinio I'll take a look now, like you I'm working my way through angry birds. My favourite app for the iPhone is cam card. This let's you photograph a business card and it then scans it and imports all the data to your contacts.

#4 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

I decided a few weeks ago I decided that my little netbook, although lightweight for travel and good for emails, was just too slow, probably my fault for overloading it with music and photos, I thought long and hard about an ipad, had a play with my daughter's one, but in the end I decided I wanted a real keyboard, I swapped a Blackberry for a HTC Desire about a year ago, in many ways it's a great phone, but the touch screen pad sucks when you've always been used to the real thing.
I ended up getting a Lenovo Think Pad, very slim and light.
Anyway the question was about apps and gadgets. Like Petsie I always think I'm a bit past the gaming thing, but maybe I'll give some of those mentioned a go, I like the sound of that app that imports details from business cards, typically I will go to an annual trade fair in Shanghai, meet loads of people, collect a hundred business cards and when I get home I only have five, none of which are from likely prospects!
I like Shazam, it can identify the name of that music that's playing in the shopping centre, pub or radio, my French friends tried it on their french music collection, it was never beaten.
Another useful app is Trip case, you can load all your travel itineraries, via phone or computer. and you get reminders ahead of flights, hotel arrivals etc. all contact details are on your phone, so less reams of paper to carry. If a flight is delayed, cancelled or even a gate change, you are notified via your phone.
A good thread, I look forward to hearing about other good apps or even games.
When I were a lad we had the one thing that money can't buy....poverty

#5 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

dumb apps? fruit ninja

#6 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Despite it's popularity, I've never really gotten a handle on using Itunes to properly upload music onto my Ipod (or Ipod portion of my Iphone). Seems that I couldn't upload my music from the external hard-drive on which it resides, and don't want to weigh down my small laptop by transferring it over.

...and only by much experimenting am I able to ever get a proper playlist. When I do, those songs tend to stay on there forever.

So, I've been using Pandora Radio.

Pandora allows you to input a song that you like, and then builds a radio playlist around that song and its associated genre. It's remarkably good at finding songs that you'll probably like (and eventually, your chose song will appear). Very minimal advertising, maybe a :15 second ad every :30 minutes or so). ....and I typically despise commercial radio.

There are also some great internet radio stations out there which allow you to choose your favorite genre. I'll typically fire one of those up in my hotel room when I travel. A little rock and roll or smooth jazz, my mini-Altec Lansing powered speaker, and I'm all set.

live365.com is good for that, but there are many others.

On my Iphone, I use a password-vault app called "Keeper". It's free, and on that app I store every password that I use, as well as credit card information (with company phone #'s, in case mine are lost/stolen). Since my Iphone is password protected anyway, it's just a 2nd layer of protection. Free app.

Finally, the skype app for Iphone is essential. When buying skype credits (very inexpensive), one is able to use the wireless feature of the Iphone, connect to skype, and talk to anybody in the world - directly to their cell or home phone - for just pennies. If this were a call placed in Iphone roaming, it would cost a forture. Saves a ton of money.

Nix
Nix

#7 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

My new i-pad is earning it's keep, it can never be a replacement for your PC but it's a pretty good extension of one.

I've never played any game on a PC (too old!) but now find myself addicted to Angry Birds...cleared the free one so paid for the next version which I'm working my way through!

Kindle books is great and I uploaded 1000 books on there which were given to me, this only took 1mb of space, wow!

My absolute fave though just has to be Zinio which allows me to download all the latest magazines into my library to browse at my leisure...what an environmentally friendly solution that is to someone who usually buys 5-6 mags per month!

Any favourite apps out there for i-phone or i-pad?
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#8 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

If you like Angry Birds, give Fragger a shot. I cleared the free one and bought the full version for my iPhone.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#9 redeye

redeye
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I agree that the iPad is great though I cant find much of a business use for it apart from emails it's great for web browsing and following this forum as the colour rendition is A1. (just make sure you clear your history when finished if there are others in the house)
I haven't tried zinio I'll take a look now, like you I'm working my way through angry birds. My favourite app for the iPhone is cam card. This let's you photograph a business card and it then scans it and imports all the data to your contacts.

#10 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

I decided a few weeks ago I decided that my little netbook, although lightweight for travel and good for emails, was just too slow, probably my fault for overloading it with music and photos, I thought long and hard about an ipad, had a play with my daughter's one, but in the end I decided I wanted a real keyboard, I swapped a Blackberry for a HTC Desire about a year ago, in many ways it's a great phone, but the touch screen pad sucks when you've always been used to the real thing.
I ended up getting a Lenovo Think Pad, very slim and light.
Anyway the question was about apps and gadgets. Like Petsie I always think I'm a bit past the gaming thing, but maybe I'll give some of those mentioned a go, I like the sound of that app that imports details from business cards, typically I will go to an annual trade fair in Shanghai, meet loads of people, collect a hundred business cards and when I get home I only have five, none of which are from likely prospects!
I like Shazam, it can identify the name of that music that's playing in the shopping centre, pub or radio, my French friends tried it on their french music collection, it was never beaten.
Another useful app is Trip case, you can load all your travel itineraries, via phone or computer. and you get reminders ahead of flights, hotel arrivals etc. all contact details are on your phone, so less reams of paper to carry. If a flight is delayed, cancelled or even a gate change, you are notified via your phone.
A good thread, I look forward to hearing about other good apps or even games.
When I were a lad we had the one thing that money can't buy....poverty

#11 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

dumb apps? fruit ninja

#12 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Despite it's popularity, I've never really gotten a handle on using Itunes to properly upload music onto my Ipod (or Ipod portion of my Iphone). Seems that I couldn't upload my music from the external hard-drive on which it resides, and don't want to weigh down my small laptop by transferring it over.

...and only by much experimenting am I able to ever get a proper playlist. When I do, those songs tend to stay on there forever.

So, I've been using Pandora Radio.

Pandora allows you to input a song that you like, and then builds a radio playlist around that song and its associated genre. It's remarkably good at finding songs that you'll probably like (and eventually, your chose song will appear). Very minimal advertising, maybe a :15 second ad every :30 minutes or so). ....and I typically despise commercial radio.

There are also some great internet radio stations out there which allow you to choose your favorite genre. I'll typically fire one of those up in my hotel room when I travel. A little rock and roll or smooth jazz, my mini-Altec Lansing powered speaker, and I'm all set.

live365.com is good for that, but there are many others.

On my Iphone, I use a password-vault app called "Keeper". It's free, and on that app I store every password that I use, as well as credit card information (with company phone #'s, in case mine are lost/stolen). Since my Iphone is password protected anyway, it's just a 2nd layer of protection. Free app.

Finally, the skype app for Iphone is essential. When buying skype credits (very inexpensive), one is able to use the wireless feature of the Iphone, connect to skype, and talk to anybody in the world - directly to their cell or home phone - for just pennies. If this were a call placed in Iphone roaming, it would cost a forture. Saves a ton of money.

Nix
Nix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci