Pantip Plaza, how to get there!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

Well, besides hunting for lbs during the night in Bangkok, one other thing that you can do is visit Pantip Plaza, the major computer centre in Thailand.

Besides being able to get pirated software and DVDs (for those who have slow internet connections), there are plenty of computer shops that sell hardware and accessories, as well as digital camera shops.

One of my friends I have made there has a shop called WinSystems on the 4th floor. Unfortunately he is looking to sell it as business has dropped considerably over the past couple of years. He says it is down 30-40%. My last few visits there reflect his comments as it is far less crowded now than it was in the past.

Well, one of the easiest ways to get to Pantip Plaza from Sukhumvit Road is take the public bus. Gasps of horror! Why not take a taxi? some will say. That is also possible, but where's the adventure in that?

Ok if you're on Sukhumvit Road catch the public bus number 511 (airconditioned) or public bus number 2 (non a/c) if it's not too hot. Make sure they have a blue sign in the front window. As per the photos.

You must be on the even soi numbered side to catch the right bus - so that is on the side were the Sois are numbered 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

Bus fare for the a/c bus is 11 Baht one way to Pantip Plaza. The fare is based on distance and there is a conductor who will ask your destination and give you a ticket after payment. Don't carry big bills, especially early in the day! The bus fare for non a/c buses is 7 Baht to Pantip Plaza.

Attached Files

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:36 AM

What's it like in the public bus? During rush hour it can be quite crowded, but off peak it's pretty good, especially in the ac bus.

1st photo is inside the non/ac bus. As you can see it has a wooden floor! Quite like the old buses in Beijing.

2nd photo is inside the ac bus.

If you are lucky, you can sometimes get onto non/ac bus no. 2 that is free. This is part of a government program to help the poor. You can tell right away when the bus is free when the conductor doesn't come around asking your destination and is just checking off numbers on a clipboard.

Attached Files

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:00 AM

Very useful thread RX, another option for anyone who likes walking is to take the Skytrain to Ratchathewi station, exit on the right hand side, and walk down Petchaburi Road, takes about 10 mins, but can be quicker than the bus when the traffic is heavy.

http://www.google.ie...sa=N&tbs=isch:1
We laugh because it is true.

#4 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Very useful thread RX, another option for anyone who likes walking is to take the Skytrain to Ratchathewi station, exit on the right hand side, and walk down Petchaburi Road, takes about 10 mins, but can be quicker than the bus when the traffic is heavy.

http://www.google.ie...sa=N&tbs=isch:1

I do the same, I go with BTS to Central World than past the Central World on right side, over the water channel and left, after few steps I can go and see some stores in Diamond Shopping mall and.. few steps after I'm in Panthip Plazza. 10 or so minutes walk.

BR

#5 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the alternate ways to get there - especially by Skytrain as rush hour traffic is slow.

Here are a couple of older photos of my friend's shop in busier days. He can repair laptops, even if it has a damaged motherboard. He has access to a machine that can remove damaged chips and replace them with a new chip. In western countries they don't usually bother and will replace the whole laptop. He can also repair/replace LCD screens.

So if you're in Bangkok with a non-working laptop check his shop out while it is still open.

Attached Files

#6 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

The bus stop is only 1/2 block to Pantip Plaza, just a couple of minute walk and you're there, a real lifesaver when it's hot and you don't want to take a taxi, as long as you catch the AC bus no. 511.

Here are the instructions on how to get back to Sukumvit. There is a pedestrian overpass from the 1st floor (1 up from ground) of Pantip Plaza to access the opposite soi, across the street for you newbies. The bus stop is just at the bottom of the stairs. Make SURE you take non/ac bus no. 2 or ac bus no. 511 with the BLUE sign. There are same numbered buses with YELLOW signs that will not go back to Sukhumvit road and you will have even bigger adventures!

#7 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

And if you buy laptop or something pricier don’t forget to bring passport with you. I got around 700 THB tax back when I bought laptop for present :blush: . You don't even need to show computer on border tax control.

BR

#8 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

:gp:

Good tip Robisolo - there is a 7% VAT (value added tax) in LOS. There are some places that will waive the VAT. Robisolo, so you didn't have to show the laptop at the VAT refund centre at the airport? I don't think that is usual practice, but good news if it is. Did you notice if other passengers didn't have to show their items either?

Thanks for sharing!

#9 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

I know I should show laptop before I checked my bags but.,. as laptop was in “safe hands” and I couldn't show it I just made stupid face (not hard for me :blush: ) and went to customs officer. He stamped my papers without questions. Afterwards I just went to claim my money and this was it. :angel:

BR

#10 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Pantip Plaza has gone through a 2 year renovation and "rebranded itself". I dropped in during my short Dec. visit - and it is more an upscale "IT and entertainment" lifestyle mall now. Many of the old computer shops are gone as well as the pirate software shops.

Here are a few photos of the "new" Pantip Plaza.

Attached File  IMG_20160911_144402.jpg   77.97KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160911_140950_hdr.jpg   129.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160911_143937.jpg   90.87KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160911_144042.jpg   74.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160911_144142_hdr.jpg   97.42KB   0 downloads

• MrDragon likes this

:cnd:

#11 goodenough

goodenough
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the update. Might actually go have a look in my next trip :)

#12 joeaf3

joeaf3
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

Pantip Plaza has gone through a 2 year renovation and "rebranded itself". I dropped in during my short Dec. visit - and it is more an upscale "IT and entertainment" lifestyle mall now. Many of the old computer shops are gone as well as the pirate software shops....

Pantip still has pirate software shops on the mezzanine level, but not as many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci