• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Well the disease of ATM fees on foreign cards has hit the PI and this variant is particularly bad. Many ATMs are charging 150-200 pisos and have reduced the amount you can pull to 5,000-10,000p. One popular bank in the mall at Angeles City has reduced the amount you can pull to 5Kp and is charging 200p. So it costs you 4% to take cash from their ATMs on top of any fee you may be paying your bank.

Some banks aren't charging yet but they likely will. So I'm not even going to try and start a list like in the Thailand ATM thread where the list of non charging ATMs became almost non existent. When I come here again for a week or two I will bring cash. For an extended trip probably have to open a bank account and go the transfer route.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#2 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Out of interest, would you take Pesos or Dollars?

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#3 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

Out of interest, would you take Pesos or Dollars?

I think Pounds and Euros can be readily exchanged. I have heard of guys changing Aussie dollars (many Aussies here), Canadian dollars and Swiss Francs. I would check Lonely Planet or something like that. I will ask here if I get a chance.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#4 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

Thanks.

I'll be taking cash but changing it from Thai baht, so it's either Baht, Dollars or Pesos for me.

#5 Rainie

Rainie
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Best option in Angeles, cause of the limited amounts and the fees of ATM, is cash. Best place to change is Norma at Teodoro Street. Credit card cash is also available there.

#6 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks.

I'll be taking cash but changing it from Thai baht, so it's either Baht, Dollars or Pesos for me.

Then dollars I would guess unless you can get a decent rate on Pisos.

FWIW the exchange rate is the same here in AC today everywhere for dollars. Down to 45.30 from the 45.70 when I arrived two weeks ago. Dollar seems to be holding in better against the baht than the piso.

The exchange places here do accept pounds and Euros.

#7 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hi Kliome

Quick bit of research this a.m shows that THB as well as USD and UK Sterling accepted by money changers on Burgos St. Rates are not friendly though so it may well pay to shop around. You will probably get better rates in money changers at the Shopping Malls or even the Banks. Will keep you posted.

Cheers D&C.

#8 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thanks guys. I'll see what rates I can get in Thailand for PHP.

#9 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

Thanks guys. I'll see what rates I can get in Thailand for PHP.

I once went to the exchange booth at Kasikorn and tried to get some baht changed to dollars. They said they didn't do that. Perhaps you will have better luck inside the bank.

If you are going to be in Thailand for a few weeks before you go you might consider taking dollars, pounds, euro in exchange for baht. You could be you own little exchange for a while. :harhar:

It would be interesting to know what the exchange places in RP are giving for baht. In AC the places on the street usually always beat the banks.

#10 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

As of yesterday the rates from Money Exchangers around Burgos St in Manila were 1.21 - 1.23. In fairness you are unlikely to get the best rate in town at this location but at least you know it's possible to change THB to PHP there.

#11 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

Do any of you guy know the exchange booth rate for UK£ to PHP on teh ground in Philippines ? (or a good website to see it).

The best I can get in the UK is 62.6 which doesn't seem that generous.

#12 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi Kliome

Rate yesterday on the Street here was £1-00 = Php 67-00 so you are definitely not getting a good deal in the UK.

A quick look at the XE.com website says it's running at Php 68.44 which is better still. You may well be able to get this rate from 'Sanrys' who are one of the more popular money changers in Manila and they have several branches all around Makati.

For a more official version check out www.bsp.gov.ph which is the website of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas - the national bank. They show a rate of 68.13 and a THB rate of 1.39.

Hope this helps....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci