Baht Bus Pickpocket Gang

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Jumped on a Baht Bus last night around 10pm at the intersection of Soi Buakhow & Soi Diana heading towards South Pattaya Road. Whilst heading along South Pattaya Road, just after passing Tops Supermarket, a group comprising three ladies and a ladyboy boarded the bus. The three ladies sat opposite me, and the ladyboy sat beside me. The ladyboy had short hair, pretty terrible complexion, and infact the entire group looked disheveled and dirty. I recall briefly adjusting my position on the seat as this ladyboy had sat extremely close to me, but didn’t really think any further about it.

When the Baht Bus reached Pattaya Second Road, I pushed the buzzer and disembarked, paying the driver with a 10 Baht coin I had in my pants pocket. I started to walk along Pattaya 2nd Road, with the intention of meeting some folks at Ezy Bar and instinctively reached down to check my wallet that I keep in a buttoned side pocket in my cargo shorts, only to find it was gone. :shock:

As panic immediately set in, I turned around and sprinted back to the Baht Bus, which was still stationary at the intersection, waiting for the lights to change. I jumped onboard, and yelled at the Ladyboy to give me back my wallet, which she placed on the seat where I’d been sitting, attempting to make out I’d left it there. I picked up the wallet, checked that the contents were intact, and jumped back off.

The adrenalin rush while all this was unfolding was incredible, and the thought of pursuing things further with police didn’t even register until I’d made it to Ezy Bar and had a chance to review what had just unfolded.

Whilst I can’t believe how lucky I was to retrieve my wallet, it’s worth noting that all my credit cards & cash reserves were secure in my hotel rooms safety box, so the worst case scenario would have been losing about 4000 Baht, a single debit card, a drivers license and a handful of membership cards.

Before I started to document this event, I “Googled” Baht Bus Pickpockets, and found a number of relevant articles on the topic. This particular gang is well known to police in Pattaya, and despite being caught on multiple occasions, continue to operate. Have attached a photo I found on the internet which features part of the gang that attempted to steal my wallet.

In summary, I can only re-iterate the need to be extremely cautious when out and about in Pattaya, and avoid carrying around excessive amounts of cash, and credit cards.

Finally, don’t think it can’t happen to you !

Cheers
Koykaeng

Attached Files

Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#2 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

KK

Appalling story but happens too often. Pickpockets are not unique to Pattaya - London/New York Underground is/was the same. Naples in Italy is renowned for motorcycle pickpocket gangs.

Your advice is excellent - only carry what you need for the night out - no more. Thailand is definitely a cash society so there is little point carrying all your credit/debit cards on you.

Some residents here refuse to carry their original passport with them - which is a legal requirement here. To get around the problem they have had their passport color photocopied and laminated into credit card size. Replacing an original passport is time consuming so anything that protects the original is a good idea.

#3 Hoot

Hoot
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

wow...you're a lucky man to get the wallet back. Pick pockets have an incredible slight of hand. I'm always amazed at how they can get items out of what one thinks is securely buttoned.

Sobering words of advice to always be on your guard.

I hope my new wallet chain will do the trick...not sure if it is dressy enough for a night out though. I'm thinking I may need the two inch links.

Attached Files

#4 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

where is Gaz when we need him.... :lol:

he would have had his money in the socks.....and they would have been treated with the teazer-gun.... :lol: :lol:

jokes aside....glad you got your money back KK, its a good reminder that even "us experienced" mongers are not safe... :wink:

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#5 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Nothing against you KK but I can't understand why anyone has to carry a wallet at all...as a single bulk item its too easy to pinch,,,Cheers Donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#6 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Quick response there KK - for once you can be happy the light was red! Losing a wallet is such a hassle.

#7 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Nothing against you KK but I can't understand why anyone has to carry a wallet at all...as a single bulk item its too easy to pinch,,,Cheers Donnykey

Yes, I agree with that.

Still, well done for getting it back KK.

#8 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

I was the target of a similar attempt on one of my prior visits.

Same deal, a baht bus, two women and a LB. I suspected something when the LB sat down, as she sat a little "too close" than normal. When I lean over to ring the bell for my stop, she goes in for the pick.

Now, I had no wallet to pick, only a money clip with my baht, and I grabbed her hand as it was exiting my pocket and twisted her wrist into a painful position. She dropped the money clip and all three hopped off the bus and took off.

Had I not caught her, the worst I would have been out was maybe 3000 baht and nothing else.

Like others have said, why bother carrying a wallet at all. It serves no purpose other than being a larger target for thieves, and you really have little need for your ID while mongering.

I have been known to carry a photocopy of my passport photo page, while all my other valuables are locked in the safe back in the room.

Remember, if it can happen to a long time veteran like Koykaeng, it can happen to anyone.

Good on you for getting it back KK.

Cheers. Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#9 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the post KK.......

Another chilling reminder of reality in Pattaya........... :shock:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#10 samcro

samcro
  • Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

100% agree after i got rolled in BKK last trip i will never carry a wallet anywhere in LOS and always hold on to my phone.

Well done for confronting them KK......

Cheers
Live to ride, ride to live.

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

Whenever I see a farang take a wallet from his pocket to pay for something I wonder WTF he's got it on him for in the first place, it amazes me as he thumbs through 3 months Thai wages to pay for 2 beers and a ladydrink and then has the hump when the server girl asks for a tip.

The only time I carry a card (that's one card) is if I'm going to the ATM. After that it's back to the hotel safe to drop it off and deposit the excess money.

Money on my person is always distributed throughout several pockets anyway, so if I did get dipped it wouldn't be everything I have on me. When I do take money out to pay I am not displaying my full current financial status to the onlookers, who are often in abundance.

I do this wherever I am, not just Thailand, it is no effort at all and common-sense as far as I'm concerned.

During Soi 6 and Beach Road late night adventures I have pre-prepared and have NO money in my pockets, it is in my socks, both socks, and just enough for the job in hand.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

is that the socks you wear with your sandals :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci