54 die in nightclub fire in Bangkok

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 trentnsocal

trentnsocal
  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

BANGKOK - A blaze at a Bangkok nightclub killed at least 53 people celebrating the New Year and injured more than 100 others, police and rescue workers said.

"We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away," female partygoer Oh Benjamas told Reuters on Thursday on the street outside the smoldering wreckage of the nightspot.

Dozens of bodies lay on the pavement waiting to be taken away in pick-up trucks as fire crews moved in to try and douse the smoldering embers of the Santika club on Ekkamai, a street popular with Thai and foreign revelers.

Many of the bodies were charred beyond recognition and the blaze had completely gutted the building.

Thanat Wongsanga, deputy chief of the nearby Thong Lor police station, said the cause of the fire had not yet been determined although local media said an electrical fault was probably to blame.

Various domestic media outlets put the death toll at between 50 and 55.

#2 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by misuse of fireworks.

A common issue in Thailand, as is poor fire safety in general :|

http://www.bangkokpo...night-club-fire

Meum cerebrum nocet

#3 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Santika is a place I have partied at in the past with Cascade ladyboys :shock: Luckily for me, last night I rolled the dice and it came up Spicy Club near MBK as my after hours choice of venue.

#4 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

This report of the incident from the UK press association:-

At least four Britons were injured in a devastating New Year's Eve fire in a Bangkok nightclub that killed 59 people, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.
Thai officials said a number of foreigners were among the casualties of the blaze, which erupted shortly after midnight at the Santika Club.
More than 200 people were injured during the stampede to escape from the venue, which had only one exit for the public.
One of the injured Britons described how the fire suddenly spread from a stage where a DJ and band were performing. Steven Hall said some of the revellers appeared to think the flames were part of the show and hesitated to flee the club.
He told CNN: "I was just watching the show that was going on at the time. They had a DJ and a band. All of a sudden I saw flames billowing from the top of the stage, then along the ceiling.
"Then everybody converged towards the exit from the balconies, down the stairs area, and from the dancefloor. It was a bit like a stampede. It did take a few moments to realise what was going on, because it seemed as though it was part of the performance. But looking at the performers on stage, looking at the embers and what looked like sparks falling down onto the stage, they looked totally horrified.
"And you could feel the heat instantly came down from the ceiling. At the same time there were people rushing to get out, there were other people who seemed to be lacking a sense of urgency and didn't seem to realise what was going on."
Mr Hall said the speed with which the flames spread was "incredible". The Briton's wife escaped the club ahead of him while he tried to help others. "I tried first of all getting some people moving to get them out," he said. "I was making my way towards the exit myself. There was somebody lying on the floor and I was dragging them out. The lights went out, and at that moment, my back started burning and I was breathing in hot air."

Later on this afternoon I took the short journey down to Ekamai to view for myself the aftermath of this absolute tragedy and this is what I saw :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At the rear of the building this was the only broken window, presumably in desperation from somebody attempting an escape, I hope they made it out :shock:

Posted Image

#5 Josh69

Josh69
  • Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by misuse of fireworks.

A common issue in Thailand, as is poor fire safety in general :|

http://www.bangkokpo...night-club-fire

You are right DC
That was because of fireworks

I work in fire safety prevention and i've noticed that many places in Thailand are dangerous; some traps.
I would highly recommend not to go to the Lucifer Disco (Walking Street). It's quite scary as the exit is half the size of the Santika's

#6 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

That curvy transparent table in the photo looks like it is acrylic plastic - it is a combustible material that burns intensely, and gives off toxic fumes.

It is very popular in Thailand as it is easy to work with, cheap and strong; polycarbonate is safer, but pricier...

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#7 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

There was a news item on TV tonite which showed many people in the crowd holding sparklers. I dont think I would be hanging around a Club for long if I saw that happening .

Attached Files

Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#8 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the chilling pics Pat...........a reminder to us all that LoS has many hidden dangers..........regulatory requirements commonplace and enforceable in the West do not have the same bearing there.............with shocking consequences....
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#9 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Pentire, thanks for the photos as well. A chilling reminder just how we can never know what the future will bring. One minute celebrating the New Year and a few minutes later dying in a night club fire.

#10 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Was Santika previously known as Ministry of Sound? Building looks a little similar to one which some Casanova ladyboys took me to many years ago.

Fuckin' scary though! You truly never know....

#11 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

Was Santika previously known as Ministry of Sound? Building looks a little similar to one which some Casanova ladyboys took me to many years ago.

Fuckin' scary though! You truly never know....

Ministry of Sound was in Sukhumvit soi 12. But closed in 2003 i think.

#12 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

the thais have no sense of fire safety what so ever, remeber a few years ago in patts the old hollywood disco went up in flames, as a matter of fact did the old hollywood not catch fire twice? also going back a wee bit further the hi5 in soi 8 as well, i am not saying that things do not go on fire here, but in the west our fire exits seem to work, and our electricity supply is earthed :!:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci