Taking a Thai back to your Country

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

Maybe this has all been covered before but have met some visitors, here in Thailand, who have asked what is required.

The detail changes for each country BUT the main principles are:

The visitor will not be working nor seeking work
The visitor is 'visiting' and you are sponsoring that visit.

So you are the guarantor for the Thai. This means a few pieces of evidence required - to be presented by your guest, at your Embassy, in Thailand.

Return Air Ticket for the period of visitor visa required. Usually they accept the booking reference paperwork rather than the ticket as often airlines will not issue the actual ticket until the visa is issued.
Airlines who allow passengers to board an aircraft, without correct/valid visa, are liable to fines.

Funds deposited in the Thai guest's bank.
In the past this was just required to 'show' that the funds were available. Now they require evidence/proof that the funds are available to be withdrawn, by the Thai guest, when in your country. So you must show a Visa/ATM card that will operate in your home country - this is a new slant.

Medical cover. Some countries now require evidence that the guest will be covered for medical emergencies in your country.
Holiday medical insurance can be purchased in Thailand and may be cheaper than obtaining cover in your own country.

A letter from you explaining the purpose of the visit - cultural exchange/holiday. Duration. Where will they stay. How you will support your guest.

This is only a general outline and you do need to ask, your own Embassy, what is required. If you want a hassle free process then adhere 100% to their stipulated requirements and do not lose your 'cool' - if you upset a bureaucrat you lose!

Many countries have tightened their restrictions so make sure you find out current policy for your own country. Whatever is required make sure you have it covered.

The underlying rule is that they do not want:
Illegal immigrants
Persons becoming a burden on the country

From my experience, do not mention marriage as a reason for the visit. Many countries are aware of "marriages of convenience" and block them. A marriage is seen as the first step to obtaining residency/citizenship in another country.

Many countries application forms are quite personal and probing. Where did you meet, how long have you know the person, what is there current employment (do not write hooker!). Residential address. Bank records.

It may all appear daunting but if you persevere and provide what is required then you should be successful.

PS A LB is a guy, and not a girl, so will be entering your country as a male.

#2 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

Something to consider at least if you are bringing a GG back .
Make sure that any previous Thai marriage has been declared nul and void with proof that the relationship is over .
I had a very hostile interview with Immigration where the woman ripped up a photocopy of our marriage certificate and said we were not married (we had a civil marriage in NZ as I'm a heathen) . I had to leave the room while the wife went through an interogation .
We then had to get a letter from the Village headman stating the wife had not been married for some time etc . That had to be translated by an official translation service .

Anyone you sponsor you are responsible for their medical/housing/living costs until you can get them residency . My wife was allowed to work after we were married but she had to wait five months until I decided to .

I have heard that the laws have changed and she would have been required to go to Thailand until I returned and brought her back on the required Visa . She was here on a visitors Visa to see her family when I met her.

We had to have a joint Bank Account until she got Citizenship . I then seperated the accounts as I had a bad warning how things were going to go.

Immigration seem incapable of keeping track of any paper work . They have lost my stepsons application for Citizenship so the wife has to go through it all again. This does not seem unusual from what I've heard as they seem to put up all kinds of barriers unless you are well qualified and wealthy.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#3 matchman

matchman
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

Great post Rossco on a helpful subject, for exact details that Rossco has outlined that cover the UK go to :-

http://www.ukvisas.g...fs/inf2visitors

The normal visitiors visa in the UK is valid for upto 6 months entry.

You'll also see the links on the page describing the differences if you want a fiance visa or a same-sex partner visa. One thing to be careful of is making sure you decide on the correcct visa if you apply for a tourist visa in the UK then want to marry etc they will need to leave the country and reapply.

#4 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

Gaz

My post is targeted at a Visitor visa - NOT Residency/Citizenship etc.

Yes, your guest must have sufficient funds deposited in their own account - no change. The difference is now the Consul/Embassy will demand to see evidence of how they will be able to access/withdraw those funds when in your country - Visa/ATM card active outside of Thailand.

The amount required may be as low as 100,000 Baht but could be 500,000 depending on each individual countries requirement and duration of planned stay.

Your comment re change of sex, in a passport, is really not applicable here. In Thailand they cannot change their birth sex status. Yes, once resident/citizen, in some countries, they can apply to have their sex changed in the passport of that country, subject to that country's laws. That is some steps forward from what I was advising. Visitor visa.

From personal experience it is foolish to lie on an application. If they find out a lie then you are just giving them an excuse to reject the application.

If your guest overstays then they may have problems visiting another country at some later date.

Duration of a visa is also country specific. Some countries are harsher than others. I know some Euro zone countries will only allow 1 month. I am not sure about Schengen Visa. (Shengen is 6 countries in the EU who have reciprocal border arrangements)

If you have specific and clear information on applying for residency/citizenship I suggest you post under "Citizen/Resident" to avoid confusion. I guess from your writing that you are Dutch, residing in UK, so perhaps you can provide specific data for UK and Netherlands.

#5 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

It always surprises me when guys throw a chunk of their savings at taking Thai Prostitutes whom they meet on holiday back to their own country :shock:

Maybe I've missed the boat on this one but I just don't get it :?

#6 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Rosco: It is very diffrent applying from the nertherlands for a visa much more easy than london the requirements are not as high just she wanted to visit the place she dident want live in london.

As the embassy never mentioned anything about the money or accom where she was going to stay as we had a joint account with bangkok bank account which the embassy liked they even mentioned that because i had in there 400000bht which half of it

was her own money and was avil to her to draw out straight aways as she had her own card
and she also owned land and she own a house in thailand so she had good reason to go back she had all the paperwork for that so why she dident tell them about applying in germany i dont know,
She would have got it i think quite easily if she had told them about it.

A Schengen visa is valid for the following group of countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk

#7 Kinkoy

Kinkoy
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

This is taken from the Norwegian Royal Embassy in Bangkok.
And is a guideline on how to apply for a tourist visa, and what documents to bring.

CHECKLIST: VISIT BOY FRIEND, GIRL FRIEND OR FRIEND IN NORWAY
(Please, submit documents in this order)

DOCUMENTS FROM THE THAI APPLICANT:
Please check the boxes below and sign to confirm which documents you have submitted:
• Visa application form duly completed with one passport photo not older than three months, (glued to the application form.)
• Passport Copy of the passport (Place and date of issue, expiration date, previous visas, valid resident/work permit in Thailand etc).
• Documents confirming employment, private business, school or studies; a permission for leave Copy of bank account(s) for the last 12 months (bring also original) (If insufficient, a guarantee form from reference in Norway needs to be submitted; see information below.)
• Confirmed booking of roundtrip air ticket, with fixed travel dates of maximum 90 days. (Do not buy the ticket until visa has been granted. Note: If the application is approved, the visa will be issued according to the dates on the booking).
• Compulsory travel medical insurance, covering all Schengen countries, (see separate information) If you are under 20, you must also submit: - If you are travelling alone: An original and a copy of letter of consent signed by both parents, stamped by Amphur - If you are travelling with only one of your parents: An original and a copy of letter of consent from the other parent - If the parent you are travelling with has single custody: A shown original and a copy of certificate of single custody
• Optional for applicants who want the reference or other to represent in the case: Letter of trust/proxy (Separate form is obtainable at the Embassy).

DOCUMENTS FROM THE REFERENCE IN NORWAY:
• Invitation from friend stating the purpose of the visit, type and length of relationship
• Verified copy of relevant pages of friend's passport, pages showing previous visits (entry/exit stamps) to Thailand is essential. (IF THE FRIEND IS NOT A NORWEGIAN CITIZEN A COPY OF RELEVANT PAGES SHOWING
NORWEGIAN WORK OR RESIDENCE PERMIT ALSO MUST BE SUBMITTED)
------The documents below are only required if the applicant does not have documents proving sustainable economic means
• or income------------
• Original guarantee form for visits stamped by Norwegian authorities + 1 copy
• Proof of minimum income of NOK 198.400,-/year of the guarantor (as of 1 May 2008)
• Last available tax receipt (verified copy)
• Last month’s pay slip (verified copy)
So dark, the con of man..

#8 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Kinkoy

Excellent factual data for Norway. Good to see someone post fact and not fiction as the whole Visa process can be daunting. Thanks for the specific and good detail. See you on your next visit.

#9 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

How much extra do you reckon to bring her brother, sister , mom, dad and a few cousins along? No extra trouble?
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#10 Kinkoy

Kinkoy
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, hope to see more of you Rossco (and Koykaeng, Stogie bear and other bm's) on my next trip.
It was way to briefe last time as I was too busy with other things. :D

#11 Kinkoy

Kinkoy
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

How much extra do you reckon to bring her brother, sister , mom, dad and a few cousins along? No extra trouble?

If you are asking me? I don't plan to bring anyone, just laying out the facts as that was the topic and purpose of this thread.

#12 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:35 AM

Here for the Netherlands, short stay (up to 3 months) tourist visa are:

One fully completed and signed application form. Please mention your daytime phone number with your full address. For minors (under 18) written approval by both parents or legal guardians with a copy of each parent's/guardian's passport is required.if under 18

Payment for visa must by made by postal order (payable to the Royal Netherlands Embassy) or cash. Please note that cheques, debit / credit cards are not accepted.

Two recent standard-size passport colour photographs per person taken against a light background with good contrast, clear and of good quality, printed on normal photographic paper, not mounted and full face (without sunglasses or head covering, unless for religious belief).

Evidence of hotel bookings for your full period of stay in the Schengen area. If you are unsure at which embassy to apply, please click here.

Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the cost of your intended stay (e.g. original recent bank statement) amounting to a minimum of € 34 (approx GBP 30) per day. Please note that cash, overdraft or credit card facilities are not accepted.

Travel insurance policy covering medical expenses including emergency hospital treatment and repatriation. The policy must have been taken out with an insurance company in the UK and provide cover for all Schengen countries. Minimum cover: € 30.000.

A recent and original letter from your employer, stating the start date of your employment contract and your last payslip. If you are self-employed a letter is required from your solicitor, accountant or Company House. If you are a student, please submit a recent and original letter from school, college or university confirming attendance. If you are unemployed, please bring your social benefit booklet.

If I do not have a bank account myself, can someone else in the UK act as my sponsor?
No, if you do not have your own bank account, you can either submit traveller cheques (£30 multiplied by the number of days of your stay) or your sponsor in the Netherlands - who also has to provide you with a legalised letter of guarantee - has to submit his / her salary slips.

In addition to the original documents, please bring photocopies of all documents with you when submitting your application

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci