The Virginia Tech Tragedy.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:44 AM

Hey, Patrick, lighten up. I always enjoy your posts, but "zoo"? The guy was a resident alien, in the U.S. since 1992. He came from Korea. Something like this could happen anywhere. (Although I must admit that our gun culture certainly doesn't help.) In New York, the gun laws are very, very strict, but Virginia is a whole different story. Don't mean to get heavy here, but a little sensitive abouty "zoo". Anyway, as I said, I always enjoy your posts, and I envy your recent trip to LOS, as was reported in Franck's posts. Sorry to get hung up on the Va Tech thing.
Actually living the dream.

#2 fionasexyangel

fionasexyangel
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

well.. i was going to argue a bit about that "zoo" thing...
am i one of the zoo residence? lol..
but i don't think it will make things better.. lol..

but hey, everywhere in world.. whatever they are.. i don't think i can understand why people killing others?

be safe everyone....

fiona ( lost in fifth avenue... lol ... )
"most guys live their lives in the shade of the fear of what their macho friends will think about them " -- mr. DJW

#3 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:56 AM

Thanks, Fiona. You're right. It's hard to look at the news nowadays because of all the tragedy. I was reading a story about a small town in Pakistan that voted against the local warlord and paid a horrible price. It's nice for me to escape by looking at this great site and the comments of those who live or visit the LOS. I'm living vicariously through you guys (so far, at least. I hope that will change soon.)

#4 fionasexyangel

fionasexyangel
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:03 AM

crime goes everywhere in world.. can't judge people and can't guess where it will happened..
i was born in the street.. i might see thing worse then most of people...

i don't want to come back there on street , too scary...

just be safe guys..

fi
"most guys live their lives in the shade of the fear of what their macho friends will think about them " -- mr. DJW

#5 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:19 AM

Sorry want2cts, I withdraw the zoo comment. My comments were not directed at the people. Invariably Americans I have met have been good people and good company. I think the whole question of gun control, following this latest tradgedy, typifies what many foriegners, can't really understand about US society.
Last night on TV a reporter (Australia based) asked his US correspondent if this incident would finally cause a change of heart on gun control laws. The answer was no, the pro gun lobby is too strong, and that nobody in politics would go up against them. Then and to me more astonishingly, he said that there was not really great support from the public for a change in the laws.
He qouted a poll which had just been taken (after the shootings), it asked people the reasons for the killings. The results were something like:
40% blamed poor parental control/upbringing
30+% blamed excessive violence on TV/Video games
only 21% cited availability of guns as the reason.
To be honest I was astounded at that low number, I guess that's what lead to the zoo comment.
I think if the same questions were asked in Europe or Australia, gun laws would certainly be the number one response and I believe the figure might be as high as 70 -80%.
Thanks for your comments about my recent posts, I had great fun in LOS and have enjoyed posting on the forum since getting home. My wife gets home in two days, from a family visit to England, so my time here will reduce some

#6 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

Thanks, Patrick. You know, the funny thing is that nobody knows what to do. They're holding a big hearing about violence in TV, video games, etc., but I know that's not the answer. No country has more violent TV and video games than Japan, and yet they have practically no murders there. Toronto and Vancouver, Canada get the same TV programs as Detroit and Seattle, and yet they have nowhere near the crime rate that we have in the States. Anyway, I don't mean to mess up your thread with a long discussion about USA violence. The LB scene is a hell of a lot more interesting. I LOVE this site. (Oh, please call me "Macman". I used thast ridiculous user name just to get on the site for info about Nancy, and didn't erxpect to be hanging around. I used the first thing that came into my head. Turns out, I signed up on the LB-69 pay site for 6 months.)

#7 costassg

costassg
  • Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:33 AM

Sorry want2cts, I withdraw the zoo comment. My comments were not directed at the people. Invariably Americans I have met have been good people and good company. I think the whole question of gun control, following this latest tradgedy, typifies what many foriegners, can't really understand about US society.
Last night on TV a reporter (Australia based) asked his US correspondent if this incident would finally cause a change of heart on gun control laws. The answer was no, the pro gun lobby is too strong, and that nobody in politics would go up against them. Then and to me more astonishingly, he said that there was not really great support from the public for a change in the laws.
He qouted a poll which had just been taken (after the shootings), it asked people the reasons for the killings. The results were something like:
40% blamed poor parental control/upbringing
30+% blamed excessive violence on TV/Video games
only 21% cited availability of guns as the reason.
To be honest I was astounded at that low number, I guess that's what lead to the zoo comment.
I think if the same questions were asked in Europe or Australia, gun laws would certainly be the number one response and I believe the figure might be as high as 70 -80%.
Thanks for your comments about my recent posts, I had great fun in LOS and have enjoyed posting on the forum since getting home. My wife gets home in two days, from a family visit to England, so my time here will reduce some

i couldn't agree more with you about the situation in the states?arm industries control the us coverment
So many ladyboys so little time

#8 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:43 AM

I think the pharmaceuticals probably have more control over the government here as far as legislation goes. I think it's more the NRA that dictates our gun control policies. I heard a guy on the radio yesterday who said that a lot of lives would have been saved at Virginia Tech if all the students had been armed. I would like the guys who say that to ride the subways in NYC for about a week and see if they really want everyone to be packing. There's a pushing and shoving match every day there during rush hour. If everyone had a gun, I'd rather walk.

#9 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:57 AM

Macman (yes that does sound better!). Your right we certainly have strayed of the subject, the mods will be moving this to off topic if somone doesn't rescue it.
I also heard the comment about it being better if all the students were armed WTF. I suppose we might have had the same number of deaths but more psople would have got on the scoreboard. I thought the Wild West was history.
I read Norm Chomskey's book "Failed States" recently, he descibed at length the power of the Pharmaceutical lobby and how they almost managed to derail the recent Free Trade agreement between US and Australia.

#10 freakslikeme69

freakslikeme69
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

Ok, I see that some of you feel the US is not a safe place, you have to remember there are over 300 million people here, so the Virgina Tech shooting was a terrible waste of peoples lives it is only a small percentage of what happens here.The US is always under a microscope, everything that happens here is world news, we seem to make everything bigger then it is. Everyone knows the US keeps much better records of crime and murder then other countries do, here is a link that shows the reported murders in all countries, keep in mind a lot of countries do not report as well as others do. The US is 24, Thailand is 14, and these are just reported, see for yourselfs http://www.nationmas...ders-per-capita
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

#11 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:14 AM

But the scary thing is there are over 200 million guns. I don't agree that the US keeps better records of crime than other countries, than some certainly. I assure you I'm not US bashing (I know it's a popular sport). You are right, what happened at Virginia Tech was a terrible waste, but equally as terible is that we'll be hearing the same story from another school in a few months time.

#12 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:16 AM

You're right about straying off the subject, Patrick. I'm sorry I've gone on about this. Anyway, as far as my user name, I wanted to put an "A.K.A." under my avitar like Dirty Mike's, but didn't know how to do it (I'm not at all computer savvy). Anyway, back to the subject, I agree that the Asian LBs (especially those from Thailand) have a very distinct quality, but I've certainly seen photos and videos of Brazillian T/S's that were really stunning. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like the silicone (or whatever) breasts. I prefer the look of breasts that are there because of hormones (such as those of Amy) or even the flat look, like Nancy (although I hear that she now has breasts). I guess if the western transsexuals had that "flat" look, they'd probably look more like transvestites than LB's, but the Asians seem to look very feminine even without the implants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci