Australian shot in Thailand

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

Once upon a time, protection in Thailand consisted of some condoms and mosquito repellant, however after reading the story below, and being an Australian, I may have to pack a bullet proof vest for my next holiday !

Cheers
Koykaeng

Australian shot in Thailand
June 29, 2006
ANOTHER Australian has been shot in Thailand just days after a Queensland woman died after becoming the victim of a drive-by shooting.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade today confirmed Thai police were investigating the case of a 22-year-old Australian man shot in Thailand on Tuesday night.

"A 22-year-old man from NSW was injured in a shooting incident at Chantaburi province, approximately 245km south-east of Bangkok, on the Cambodian border," she said.

The man was evacuated to Bangkok yesterday.

DFAT did not release the man's name, but The Australian newspaper said he was Lee Birkinshaw, from Wagga Wagga in southern NSW.

Queensland nurse Pam Fitzpatrick, 26, died last week after being shot in the neck while drinking with her sister and friends at a Thai bar.

Thai police and Australian officials believe she was the innocent victim of a gang vendetta against the British owner of the Up2U Bar in Kanchanaburi, 120km west of Bangkok.

#2 rslicker

rslicker
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

It is sometimes easy for new visitors and complacent old hands in Thailand to forget that many feuds and differences are settled here in a deadly manner. People unwittingly become either innocent victims or targets themselves for fairly trivial reasons that don't seem to fit the end result. You can protect yourself from becoming a target by keeping your nose clean, a low profile and avoiding getting involved in disputes with Thais. It is very difficult to guard against becoming an innocent third party victim as these two unfortunate examples show.

Stay aware of your surroundings at all times and duck if a bullet has your name on it!

Thailand is not always the land of smiles it is portrayed to be (was it ever?).

#3 southern rabbit

southern rabbit
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

yes got shot in the stomach

and a aussie nurse got shot as well a few weeks ago

i guess the thai dont like aussies anymore hahaha

#4 kakila

kakila
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

mmmmmmm yes Koykaeng is a worry. I use to display the fact that I was australian when travelling but not anymore.

must look for a bullet proof vest at the local silom night markets :)

#5 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

It's not just Aussies that should be careful. All westerners should be wary about all situations that they get themselves into.

Do you know that it only costs a few hundred bucks to get a TukTuk driver to bump someone off. They are desperate for the cash and if you annoy someone then its not like the west.... life is cheap.

So best to be on your absolute best behaviour whilst in asia... be good and curtious in all situations... and don't get in any arguements... because the police are not sympathetic if they catch up with you... and worst still if you annoy a local who doesnt care and has a little money behind him.
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#6 Phillip69

Phillip69
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

There was also a 70 year old Aussie who fell out of a window on Soi Nana and died.

No foul play here as I understand it, just a few beers too many.

Not like the suicides you get in Pattaya. There was an young guy from NSW who was found in the Hotel room with his hands tied behind his back and a plastic bag over his head.

And it said in the Pattaya mail it was ruled as suicide!!!

#7 tigereye

tigereye
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

There was also a 70 year old Aussie who fell out of a window on Soi Nana and died.

No foul play here as I understand it, just a few beers too many.

Not like the suicides you get in Pattaya. There was an young guy from NSW who was found in the Hotel room with his hands tied behind his back and a plastic bag over his head.

And it said in the Pattaya mail it was ruled as suicide!!!

Time to practice my Irish accent i think... :D just as a precaution.. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci