tourist visa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 malibu515

malibu515
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

I intend to stay in Thailand for up to 120 days.
If I send $80.00 to the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago
and on the form, check " Tourist Visa " and answer "2" in the box that says "Number of Entries Requested"

Does that allow me to stay up to 120 days ?

Do I have to leave Thailand by air after 60 days and
            then return to use the double entry visa....or
           by having the double entry visa upon arrival,
            I can just stay the whole 120 days ?

thanks Gents !

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

No, the maximum you can stay is 90 days. You can stay a maximum of 60 days on the first visit using a tourist visa, then you must reapply for an extension of a maximum of 30 more days. Here is good information: Thai Visa Rules

• P&G likes this

:cnd:

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Only two types of tourist visa are available now; single-entry or multiple-entry.

With a multiple-entry tourist visa the duration of stay must not exceed 60 days (59 nights) each time. So you will need to leave and return at some stage to achieve your 120 days. However, any 60-day visit using either a single or multiple-entry visa can be extended for a further 30 days at a Thai immigration office.

Upon entering Thailand with any tourist visa it is advisable to carry at least B20,000 in cash. There have been recent reports of people not being allowed in despite showing other proof of available funds. Much depends on the individual immigration officer as to whether it's enforced, or not. Better to be safe than sorry.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

The rule about 20,000 Baht on arrival is an old one, but they are enforcing now due to a number of tourists who have been visiting LOS, and causing problems by overstaying without sufficient funds. There are exchange booths and ATMs before you get to the immigration booths at the airport, so be sure to get your 20,000 Baht before the line up so you are not rejected for entry.

#5 P&G

P&G
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

If you are 50 or over, you can try to get a retirement visa. It will allow you to live in Thailand as long as you want. You must meet financial requirements though. More information at the Thai Embassy webpage

#6 malibu515

malibu515
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

So,  double entry that cost $80.00 no longer exists ?

I need to get a multiple entry for $200.00 ?

It is confusing because the application asks for how many entries I request.  Since I want to stay two 60 day terms, I will need double entry ???  $80.00 or $200 ???

Also, if I fly out and come right back in on the same day, say to Kuala Lampur, Malasia, is that acceptable ?  Or do I need to be away a few days before I come back ?

None if this is in the website for the Thai Embassy.  Places in the states that offer expidited service for a fee say there is only

single entry, $40.00 or multiple entry for $200.00.   Id rather not spend $200.00 - 80.00 = $120.00 more than I have to.

#7 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Thailand's rules. It is what it is    :thai:

The other option is to get a single-entry and extend it by 30 days at a local Thai immigration office. After that's used leave the country and return by air on a normal visa exemption for the final 30 days. Note: Visa exemptions via land border crossings only provide 15 days.

Personally, if I was planning a 120-day trip I'd just stump up the additional fee for the METV.

The METV offers peace of mind with improved flexibility, less chance of immigration issues during your stay, plus not being forced into travelling to leave the Kingdom on such a tight and rigid time-line.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#8 malibu515

malibu515
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

Well,

Im about to find out !  I sent in my passport to the Chicago Thai Embassy requesting a double entry.  That's $40.00 X 2 = $80.00.

Although it is unclear on the Thai Embassy Web Site, I believe that there is a difference between double entry and multiple entry.  If Im right, I save $120.00 off the multiple entry fee of $200.00.  If Im wrong, I lose $80.00 and have to resubmit my request. 

I plan I taking a short trip to the Philipines after 60 days anyway. 

I will let the group know what happens in a couple of weeks !

• rxpharm and P&G like this

#9 P&G

P&G
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

It looks smart this way. 

#10 malibu515

malibu515
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

You were right. I got a call from the Chicago Thai Embassy telling me that they no longer have a double entry for $80.00. I just sent them an additional $120.00. Oh well...

#11 scottieM

scottieM
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Only two types of tourist visa are available now; single-entry or multiple-entry. With a multiple-entry tourist visa the duration of stay must not exceed 60 days (59 nights) each time. So you will need to leave and return at some stage to achieve your 120 days. However, any 60-day visit using either a single or multiple-entry visa can be extended for a further 30 days at a Thai immigration office.Upon entering Thailand with any tourist visa it is advisable to carry at least B20,000 in cash. There have been recent reports of people not being allowed in despite showing other proof of available funds. Much depends on the individual immigration officer as to whether it's enforced, or not. Better to be safe than sorry.

The rule about 20,000 Baht on arrival is an old one, but they are enforcing now due to a number of tourists who have been visiting LOS, and causing problems by overstaying without sufficient funds. There are exchange booths and ATMs before you get to the immigration booths at the airport, so be sure to get your 20,000 Baht before the line up so you are not rejected for entry.

the enforcement is most likely spplying on certain nationalities and how you look like.
Such a profiling cannot be officially stated for obvious reasons.
Have not been asked a single question when I entered Thailand at suvarnabhumi last Monday.
Probably the 20000 baht rule has not to do with overstay but to make sure you have means of sustain yourself whilst in the country for the granted period.
They can't predict you overstay and can't predict before how long: 20000 can be a fortune or can end up well before your stay allowance is over,
They want to make sure somebody from some poor countries doesn't try to get in Thailand with a tourist visa, no money and trying to get a (illegal) job the day after.
Pretty common practice in many countries facing illegal workers,
Some countries require a medical insurance before granting a visa to make sure you do not end up in a hospital and can't pay the bills.

#12 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:39 AM

scottieM, thanks for the update - you are probably correct, it is likely up to the discretion of the immigration officer whether or not to check if you have 20,000 Baht on entry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci