Safety

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I just remembered this because of a question about a hotel in another thread.

Drunken Motorbike Taxi Drivers in Pattaya:

Sounds like the name of a horror movie, doesn't it? I don't know if it is a widespread problem, but I have seen it.

On the little Soi off Second Road that leads back to April Suites there is a shady spot were a few motorbike taxis congregate and the drivers sit and smoke cigarettes, shoot the breeze, and yes, drink whiskey.

I think there is a little shack adjacent to the shade tree, where they work on the bikes, but my memory might be consolidating the memory of some other place in Thailand on the maintenance shack part.

The point is, I've seen the drivers being "good old boys" and sharing a bottle of whiskey, a couple of them were pretty toasted and still had their safety vests on, so I am assuming they were still for hire.

The only time I use motorbike taxis in Patts is when I have picked up a honey on Walking Street and am heading back to my hotel.

The image of that Sangsom bottle being passed around the circle of bleary eyed taxi drivers does nothing for your nerves as you are weaving through traffic on the back of a motorbike.

On one occasion, I was headed back with little Wonee from Koyo 7 and she was visibly scared during the ride, and cracked a joke about the driver smoking yaba after we got off the bike.

I made a loose resolution to avoid motorbike taxis after that, but I think I broke it two nights later.

Motorbike taxis are scary enough, but add in the possibility of having a juiced up driver, and well, that's a whole other element.

Anyone else witnessed something similar?

#2 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, and I swore off them forever! I had to go the USA Embassy in BKK by bus. Got a baht bus driver near Big C Extra to take me to Patts bus station, but when I got back to Pattaya bus station the only thing available was a motorcycle taxi. Obvious he was drunk after we started and it absolutely scared the crap out of me. Never again! I'll hire a baht bus or taxi for any trip in the future!
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#3 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

I look in their eyes to see the degree of yaba glaze and chat to them for a bit so I get a whiff of the alcohol and then walk off if my suspicions are aroused

#4 james2035

james2035
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

why the hell does anyone use them you must be mad not even covered on our annual travel insurance

#5 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I look in their eyes to see the degree of yaba glaze and chat to them for a bit so I get a whiff of the alcohol and then walk off if my suspicions are aroused

This is a very sensible precaution.

Its not just Pattaya, its the same in Patong too. Be very wary.

Taxi drivers (in Patong) are amongst the worst offenders too. Any sort of road transport is dangerous in Thailand - just look at their statistics. Third worst in the world!

Even walking though, is hazardous, as anybody who has ever walked along Soi Burkhao will tell you!

Keep your wits about you. Don't get too blathered!

• jaybee111 likes this

#6 tourist

tourist
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

This is a very sensible precaution.

Its not just Pattaya, its the same in Patong too. Be very wary.

Taxi drivers (in Patong) are amongst the worst offenders too. Any sort of road transport is dangerous in Thailand - just look at their statistics. Third worst in the world!

Even walking though, is hazardous, as anybody who has ever walked along Soi Burkhao will tell you!

Keep your wits about you. Don't get too blathered!

Jimbo, thanks for relieving me and give me back a sort of selt-esteem : I stayed many times in Soy Boukhao and always felt so dumb anytime attempting to cross the other side and v.v.  .Just  scary! 

Anytime I'm back home feel like a survivor :rolleyes:

I went to the Dark side and found the Light !!!

#7 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

why the hell does anyone use them you must be mad not even covered on our annual travel insurance

Many places dont have cabs or regular buses if you are outside of bkk, pattaya, Patong etc. Although i always have a bike in those pattaya and patong anyway cause I just cant be fucked dealing with the arseholes.

Bangkok I have never had troubles with a cab

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci