Sick after motor bike acident

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Janus

Janus
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Well just came out of hospital after 3 weeks and a operation in my Hip, was under my way to Patong, came from Chalong 3 pm driving sopper and nice and not to fast. Then a Thai woman drove out from a smal soi and hit me, BANG. Result broken collar bone, hip that needed operation and left leg broken 3 places + other smaller wounds. So now I Can Stay the last 10 weeks of my vacation on the Resort.

You absolutely have to take care, of the traffic here on Phuket.

Best regards Jan.     

#2 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Wow get well soon! Glad hear you are still alive.
  • Janus likes this

#3 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Sorry that happened to you and I hope your recovery goes well.

I never feel at ease when walking on a sidewalk in Thailand, much less on a motorbike. It only takes a quick second for an accident to change your life.

Hang in there, and get well soon!

#4 Janus

Janus
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Thank you Spyder. yes the trafic is insane here, but i lived here for 8 years so I know it, but a shame to lose a lot of time just sitting in a resort. 

#5 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thank you Spyder. yes the trafic is insane here, but i lived here for 8 years so I know it, but a shame to lose a lot of time just sitting in a resort.

I gather you were picked up by an ambulance and taken to the hospital?

I feel dumb for asking you to comment on the professionalism of the ambulance crew, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Did you feel like you were in good hands and that they were well trained?

I know that in some areas of Thailand that the emergency services personnel are well trained and very professional, while in other areas the ambulance drivers, are just that, drivers. They aren't really equipped to stabilize the victims before transport and they just put you in the back of the wagon and take you to the hospital.

If you feel like sharing on that aspect of your ordeal, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I would imagine that once you got to the hospital, they took good care of you, as from most reports, Thai hospitals are good.
  • jaybee111 and Janus like this

#6 Janus

Janus
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hi Spyder. Yes the crew on the ambulance was fantastic they stopped my bleadings, the police too, told me they would take my bike to the police station, hwere i could pick it up later. The Thai lady was fantastic too she said is her foul and her insurance would pay everything, she also came twice to see me at the hospital.

The treatment on Phuket international was fantastic too Doctors and the other staff was very good, and I got a very nice single room. And the operation was perfect.

If you have the money or a insurance Phuket is not a bad place to go to the hospital.

Please don't feel dumb to ask, I'm only happy  to share my experience whit others. And please take care when you move around.

Best regards Jan. 

• jaybee111 likes this

#7 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Sorry to hear your predicament. I don't drive here (pattaya) and have no desire. As for walking, it cab just as dangerous. I walk on the right side of the roads. I want to see what, if anything, is aiming at me. When I first arrived I walked with traffic on the left. After having a number of close calls and a few bruises on my right arm from mirrors, I decided the right side is better. Good luck in your recovery.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#8 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Thanks @Janus
  • Janus likes this

#9 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

A real bummer Janus but glad things weren't any worse. Wonder if things have changed in Thailand, you were lucky (relatively speaking) or Patong is different? About five years ago in/near Pattaya a friend was riding as a passenger in a car which his falang buddy was driving. A Thai girl on a motorbike came out of a side street, paying no attention, and glanced off the side of the car sending her and her bike into a ditch. It was completely and obviously her fault. Even the police agreed. The falang driver got no compensation for his vehicle and instead ended up having to pay her medical bills and to repair her bike. They where apparently offered the opportunity to talk to the girl and voice their displeasure with her driving  :shrug: . That use to be a typical falang gets the shaft type story you always hear in Thailand.

Enjoy the rest of your trip as best you can.   

xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#10 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

Hi Spyder. Yes the crew on the ambulance was fantastic they stopped my bleadings, the police too, told me they would take my bike to the police station, hwere i could pick it up later. The Thai lady was fantastic too she said is her foul and her insurance would pay everything, she also came twice to see me at the hospital.

The treatment on Phuket international was fantastic too Doctors and the other staff was very good, and I got a very nice single room. And the operation was perfect.

If you have the money or a insurance Phuket is not a bad place to go to the hospital.

Please don't feel dumb to ask, I'm only happy  to share my experience whit others. And please take care when you move around.

Best regards Jan. 

You hear so many horror stories about these kind of farang/Thai accidents (much like Xyzzy's), with the farang suffering financial woe despite clearly being in the right, it's refreshing to hear a more positive one (not that I'm happy to hear about your misfortune).

I'm never sure how I feel about the medical services here in Thailand. I think the country actually has some impressive hospitals and I'm sure it has some top notch doctors, and if you are in serious trouble and have the right insurance you can get first rate treatment and lots of pampering. However, I still hear stories of misdiagnosis, especially when it comes to less urgent matters.

I have heard several stories from friends who have to gone through several different medications and courses just to get niggling illnesses and pains fixed, I've experienced it myself to an extent. It's not just at pharmacies and local clinics but also the larger international hospitals too. I was talking to a couple of friends about it recently and we are all at the stage where we prefer to self diagnose here in Thailand, when it comes to the smaller things at least. Researching on online and then just getting what you need from the nearest pharmacy, rather than trusting the diagnosis from a clinic or hospital, only to be put on the most expensive medication available with disappointing results.

• Janus likes this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#11 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

However, I still hear stories of misdiagnosis, especially when it comes to less urgent matters.

That goes on in the West too. Modern medicine is great once the problem is identified, diagnosis is the tricky part.

A lot of people in the USA complain about doctors ordering too many expensive tests, but sometimes it's best not to take chances.

Especially if you are an American doctor, you can bet you stethoscope, that you'll have 15 American lawyers jockeying to file a lawsuit the first time you blow a diagnosis.

#12 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Take care my fellow biker Janus. 8)  I drive in Thailand for 5 years on every trip and after many 1000 km I'm happy I'm still alive and in one piece, who knows when my luck will ran out.

• Janus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci