Stedicam GH3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

I am not much of a photographer but have been thinking of getting into it.

This amazing video was shot with a Panasonic GH2 mounted on a Merlin Stedicam stabilization device.

I was looking at the GH3s and they have even more capability, such as the ability to transfer photos and video via wifi.

I know this isn't an entry-level camera at 1200 USD for just the camera frame, but it certainly is inspiring to watch what this camera can do.

Simply amazing, this video looks great when viewed on an iPad, it isn't that impressive when viewed on my laptop though, so you might be under impressed, depending what you are viewing it on.
  • Abramovich and mugSciemi like this

#2 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

This video gives an even better demonstration of the Merlin Steadicam mount.

The sensation of flying or floating through the train station is really cool. At 2:24 he speeds the play back up for a few seconds and the effect is remarkable.

BTW, that market place that he walks through after departing the train station is home to the best Donner Kabob on the planet.

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

I can certainly see why you're interested in this device, the results are excellent. 

But like many things that seem like a good idea at the time often get used on a few occasions and then start gathering dust, or it becomes a burden and a nuiscance to carry about.

Very tempting though  :)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I can certainly see why you're interested in this device, the results are excellent. 

But like many things that seem like a good idea at the time often get used on a few occasions and then start gathering dust, or it becomes a burden and a nuiscance to carry about.

Very tempting though  :)

Indeed! Your comment reminds me of one of my favorite Homer Simpson quotes, "If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."

Regardless, one of my many plots and/or schemes to combat boredom upon entering expat life is to start a blog or website featuring travel videos and photography.

But your comment does ring true.;)
  • dixon cox likes this

#5 Teppis

Teppis

LB Devil

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I own basic camera stabilator (about 100€) and it does it's job as good as very expensive Merlin (about 800€). So if you are going to buy one, i strongly suggest that you save money and buy something like this...

http://www.sevenoak....s/show/416.html

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#6 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

I own basic camera stabilator (about 100€) and it does it's job as good as very expensive Merlin (about 800€). So if you are going to buy one, i strongly suggest that you save money and buy something like this...

http://www.sevenoak....s/show/416.html

Yes, I've been looking at some very good comparison videos on YouTube that match up the Merlin against lower priced versions.

From what I have gathered, the main differences are usually centered upon the ease in obtaining balance and adjusting the weights.

Sometimes there can be a slight difference in performance of the gimbal and overall durability and sturdiness of the device, but your advice is well heeded, because there are certainly cheaper alternatives out there.

I think another prime consideration is matching the right stabilizer to the particular camera and lens configuration, as the weight and center of balance of certain cameras differ.

PS

I've admired your handiwork with the camera in other threads, you shoot some excellent photos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci