wallet? no wallet?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

I've been mulling this over and thought I would post the question here and get some experienced opinions.

I'm a bit concerned about pickpockets and was wondering, is it best/wise to use a wallet for cash in LOS or leave cash loose in pockets? Is there a "special" wallet available that will make it more difficult to lift?

Any tips regarding this would be appreciated.

:fly: in 20 days!

#2 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi Jaybee,
This has been adressed numerous time, but here it is:
SPREAD YOUR Cash.
What I do is:
1_ Have Hotel where you stay make a Copy of your Passpost Detail (Front Page with PHoto, as well as Page where the Thai Entry Stamp is. Fold it, Put it in one of your Pockets, Passport now goes in SAFE BOX
2_ Kind of decide how much you want to spend that night, and Spread it in your pockets. I usually wear a Safari short and pants, that's a total of 7 pockets. Shorts I saw in LOS have as much as 6 Pockets with Zippers or velcro.
As said in Previous messages on similar subjetcs, never take on you more cash than you are willing to loose. Hwence Wallet Stays in SAFE
Also.
Kind of becomes Routine after a while, like packing a Condom in pockets as well, one never knows.
Happy Hunting
So many LB So Little Time

#3 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

I always carry a wallet which includes only a color copy of my passport page, an old medical plan card and the amount of baht I think I will spend (plus a little extra). I always wear cargo shorts with Velcro/button/zipper sealed pockets which adds a bit of security for my wallet. DC will come along and tell you to put your money in your socks. I wear sandals so never have socks.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#4 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I usually stock up on cash from the ATM's at the airport while waiting for my bag.

I also usually bring some emergency currency and that and the cash, all my cards, wallet etc goes in the Loom safe. The passport colour copy goes in my pocket and we're away.

Heading out the door I usually carry between 5-10 k baht with the big bills carefully tucked away in an inner pocket with a zipper and if I intend to purchase something I'll take a card with me and only use it at an ATM in the mall.

I'll settle my hotel bill using CC usually 2 days before I check out and only then will I start using the cash in the safe.

If you're staying for longer periods then some guys find it easier to open a Thai bank account and transfer money according to their requirements.

Going about town and the bars these days I stay away from big fucking frightening check bins and just pay as I go, that way your baht will go further. :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#5 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Consider a trucker's wallet with a chain a well. Ihave one with a wrap around zip. put the chain around your belt, not a belt loop.

#6 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Cash in pocket zipped or button....No problem.

What's a wallet ??

Cheers DK
Oh so happy when in LOS

#7 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Be it home or on holiday, I just can not be bothered with a wallet.

#8 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

I carried a wallet for many years whilst in Thailand and never had any trouble until I was pickpocketed by a professional gang whilst on a Baht Bus a couple of years ago.

I managed to get my wallet back (with all the contents), however there was very little in my wallet in any case.

Since being pick pocketed, I rarely carry a wallet around, however I'm not always thrilled about pulling out a wad of cash in full view of everyone when I need to make a purchase or pay the bill at a bar, etc.

It really doesn't matter whether you carry a wallet or not, what matters is what you actually have inside the wallet.

If you do decide to carry a wallet, be sure to place all your credit/debit cards and any other important identification & membership cards in the safety box, and only carry enough cash for the day or evening.

If you follow this rule, losing your wallet is no big deal, and won't spoil your holiday.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#9 rooster74

rooster74
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Excellent advice. I have been robbed in Vietnam and Pickpocketed on the beach at Patong. Put your money in your shoe and just carry bar money in your pocket,

#10 aussieguy

aussieguy
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yep I always carry aboy 3000-3500b when I go out and about in 3 different pockets, and lock everything else away in my room box or front desk.

#11 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like the concensus is leave the wallet and keep cash spread thru several closeable pockets.

Thanks again for the tips. Now if the next 19 days will just pass I will be there having the LOS experience. :rock:

#12 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I personally don't think its much of an issue to worry yourself with. I always carry a wallet with my cash for the night. In 6 and a half years I've never personally encountered a pick pocket, as far as I'm aware. Valuables back in the room are kept in the safe, and the rest of my money in the bank.

There are pick pockets in the Thai tourist zones, but perhaps no more than in tourist areas in most countries of the world, perhaps far less than in my native London, or other major European Cities. I've witnessed more pick pockets in London, Prague and Madrid and have spent far less time in these places.

So with that in mind I play by the same rules I do anywhere, never carry too much more than you need and try to be a bit more alert in busy/crowded places.

More common is gold snatching, although more so between the Thais. I wouldn't encourage wearing elaborate amounts of jewellery, despite the mixed message my avayar is sending out :blush:

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci