an introduction to the night

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 yung havok

yung havok
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

Got into Bangkok earlier this morning. Around 12am. This is the first time I've come to Bangkok on my own, specifically to monger. This can be the lonliest place on earth. There are more beggars than I remember and waywayway more Indians and Arab looking guys. I still give them the Saudi Crap greeting, I have to grow up. Its raining right now, its almost midnight, times a wasting.

#2 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

Good luck lad!

I'm sure you'll find an evenings entertainment on your travels around the city.

Looking forward to hearing of and hopefully seeing some of your exploits and adventures as you go along. :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#3 yung havok

yung havok
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

Bangkok is getting expensive , like alot of Americans my financial situation has seen better days. To be honest I really shouldn't even be taking this trip. I'm by no means a cheap dude, but this mentality the Thais have that i should just hand my money over to them on a silver platter has already rubbed me the wrong way and I've Been here about 30 hours. Last night i changed 300 dollars American at the airport and its already long gone. I did spend around 2000 baht playing a round of golf at the Bangkok country club, but the rest was just food, hotel(660baht prison cell), girls and liquor. No more golf for me, to hell with that. My game is in the toilet. I think I'll leave for pattaya in the morning.

#4 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

It's the shitty exchange rate first and foremost - don't sweat it too much and just have a good time. Hope you're able to catch some playoff baseball with a puzzled ladyboy watching over your shoulder dude :D

I find a solo trip purely for mongering purposes is the ONLY way to properly enjoy Thailand. :butterfly:

btw, who's that in the new avatar?

#5 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

hotel(660baht prison cell)

Where do you stay in BKK for 660B?

btw, who's that in the new avatar?

Willie Mays you rookie. :D
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#6 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

xyzzy wrote:

Willie Mays you rookie. Very Happy

Damn - the Say Hey Kid was ripped back in the day. :notworthy: I dare say that pic wasn't taken when I saw him finishing up with the Mets in 73.

#7 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Aha...it's a bat, must get my glasses cleaned, I thought it was his dick. 8)
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#8 yung havok

yung havok
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

Haha to this day I refuse to acknowledge Willy's playing time with the second class Mets. Thanks for the kind words fellas. I'm trying to make the most of this trip, I was a little dissalusioned at first because my pops gave me a real hard time about this trip.One time, even two times with a buddy was understandable but the third trip, and this time by myself just didn't sit well with him at all. Then when I came to the realization that this trip was going to cost me an arm and a leg I kinda thought I made the wrong decision. I got into Bangkok at midnight and I was pretty beat from the flight. I hadnt booked a room in advance so I just wandered the lower suhkumvit area for about an hour looking for a place to stay.

On previous trips I've stayed at the ibis and the orchid in both about half a mile down soil 4. I didnt like the ibis, it was way to generic,it had zero personality. And the beds were so uncomfortable. The orchid inn, which now looks like an earthquake hit it(they're doing some kind of construction work out front) was really dingy, and my friend got bed bites. It was so bad he went too the big c and tried to buy a sleeping bag, but the only thing he could find were doggy pads,the kind of thing you train dogs to pee on.I found that whole ordeal hilarious. I have fond memories in both hotels but I wouldn't stay in either again. The orchid inn on soi 4 was only 700 baht by the way. That was the hotel where my buddy walked in on me with 2 ladyboys ands to this day its caused a riff in our relationship. Oh well. Ibis was the hotel where I went all the way for the first time. It was getting late, around 0100 hours, I thought screw intimate gonads stay anywhere. I passed by guess bar and across the street there was the small alley and there was a little Guesthouse called the royal Nana mansion.it wasn't royal and it certainly wasn't a mansion , it was closer to a prison cell or a short time room. But for 660 baht I was taking it. I'm sure this is a lowseason deal but its worth it just for its location alone.

#9 yung havok

yung havok
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Wow bear with me guys im typing this stuff on my cell and this assbackwards auto word speller is throwing a wrench in everything. Some how screw it I'm gonna stay anwhere came out screw it intamite gonads what the hell, I guess that sums it up as good as anything else. And it keeps changing soi to soil. Dumbass smart phones.

#10 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

Oh man,

I am feeling your pain.

I'm from the US also, and as I've written elsewhere, the jetlag is a nightmare for me for the first few days. (12 hour time-zone change. I don't think it get's more extreme than that....correct me if i'm wrong).

I know what it's like to show up at midnight, body-clock completely upside down.

So, hang in there. That loneliness you mentioned is exacerbated by jetlag and the din of the streets of Bangkok. Having experienced this funk on each of my 5 trips over the past 2 years, I've learned to anticipate it. My next trip will be low-key in a nicer hotel (for a change) than the usual low-cost places I stay.

But in a nutshell, extreme jetlag plays havoc (yung havok) with the mood for awhile. Just be aware of that, and realize it'll get better.

For low-cost options, I usually stay on or near Khao Sahn Road. Typically spending no more than about 800 baht per night. Younger crowd, but i'm good with it (though i'm in my early 50's). Lots of places to stay, i never made a reservation.

Next trip though......Hotel Lebua for 3 nights. Minimal carousing.....just rest, sleeping, and being a garden-variety temple & market tourist. Then onto diversions more eclectic.

Get outta that bomb-shelter of a room!

Nix
Nix

#11 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

I'm full of admiration for you guys coming all the way from the US. That really is a hell of a journey!
And to be staying in a shithole on your first night! No wonder you're questioning the wisdom of the trip.
Get yourself into a taxi, in the morning, and get down to Pattaya (did i really say that?!?). The whole trip will brighten up once you've left Bangers behind.

#12 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

Jimbo, your honesty (Pattaya) is refreshing, but I'll suggest that he take the flight to Phuket and visit C&D's. That was my best three nights so far in Thailand.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci